Live on Board the Majestic Princess - Alaska bound

LawDog61

1 hour ago, LawDog61 said:

Per the in transit letter we got last night, a 1:00 arrival.  In transit all aboard is 7:30

Enjoy the city while you are here! Will be a beautiful time of day to sail into Vancouver @LawDog61

Very warm here today, above 19 degrees celsius. Tomorrow is predicted to be cooler. 

On 5/1/2023 at 11:32 AM, LawDog61 said:

Majestic is the first princess ship I have encountered, which actually labels the dishes in the buffet as gluten-free. This is such a simple thing to do and saves both myself, and the chefs a great deal a bother.

I hope this becomes the new standard.

Are they labeling others allergens like dairy as well?

How is the WiFi speed on the Majestic in Alaska?

7 hours ago, Purple Gallinule said:

Who is the cruise director on Majestic now?

Just off the Majestic from the Sydney to LA sailing. Kristoff Greyling from So. Africa is/was the CD. Great energy and if they do game show ‘Read my Lips’ where entertainment crew will ‘lip sync’, do not miss! Kristoff is a former dancer and does some of the morning exercise/dance classes in the Piazza and they were very popular.

There is a ‘sticky’ at the top of the Princess board regarding this topic, who are the current cruise directors/officers?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HughMann said:

11 hours ago, HughMann said:

Have not seen any other labeling in the buffet except GF.   Internet is only so-so

• Vancouver terminal was a mess today.  We had to clear the ship (in transit) by 3:00 and reboard after 4:30.   Lines everywhere,  ask where to go and get lots of misinformation,  signage non-existing or misdirections.   Very long line  for customs before boarding………I know-first world problems

On 5/4/2023 at 11:18 AM, CruzeQueen2 said:

@_rusty_shackleford I heard that they launched The Catch with a soft opening last night...from someone on board. I am also interested in trying this new venue.

It's showing up on the app for booking now. It won't let me cancel a duplicate Harmony reservation (which I think was originally Bistro) so we'll see what happens with that before we board.

On 5/4/2023 at 10:38 PM, HughMann said:

Internet is extremely hit or miss on Alaska cruises and generally not very fast. I wouldn't count on having it for any extended period of time especially when you're in the fjords.

Thanks so much for your live reports, LawDog!

I have a couple of specific questions.  First, have you experienced the Hollywood Conservatory?  I gather this has replaced the sanctuary found on most ships.  Does it generally stay child-free during the day?

Also, have you tried the Chinese restaurant?  I'm wondering whether it's worth the additional cost.

On 5/6/2023 at 6:45 PM, charliedalrymple said:

Thanks so much for your live reports, LawDog!

I have a couple of specific questions.  First, have you experienced the Hollywood Conservatory?  I gather this has replaced the sanctuary found on most ships.  Does it generally stay child-free during the day?

Also, have you tried the Chinese restaurant?  I'm wondering whether it's worth the additional cost.

I have done some swimming in the pool in the Hollywood Conservatory.   Frequently some children in the pool which makes it hard for lap swimming.  That said, it’s is a beautiful area, and usually not to crowded.   Yes, it replaces the Sanctuary and is free.

• Thanks 1

Although scheduled for a 1:30 arrival in Juneau today, we arrived 8:30 a.m. due to a medical emergency.  It’s a very nice day here.    We are docked out in the boonies, in the industrial area, but it looks like they running shuttles to down town.  No other ships in port yet.

Are you visiting Sitka on this itinerary?  There is currently a "Live From" on the Sapphire Princess and several posters commented on how great their stop at Sitka was.

17 minutes ago, Nelsj099 said:

@LawDog61You talked about turn around in Vancouver.  Could you leave the port To do whatever you wanted during your turn around time?  I am doing B2B out of Vancouver in June.

Any b2b you leave the ship and go do whatever you want. You are not a prisoner 

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Are you visiting Sitka on this itinerary?  There is currently a "Live From" on the Sapphire Princess and several posters commented on how great their stop at Sitka was.

Yes, we are scheduled for Sitka on Wednesday

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Any b2b you leave the ship and go do whatever you want. You are not a prisoner 

Yes, but you go through U.S. customs before reboarding

14 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Is Catch open? My mother-in-law has been trying to book it for her upcoming Alaska cruise in a few weeks, and it still is not showing up in the app to book.

The Catch is open! Went there for our first night dinner. Very impressed with the "creatively-prepared" food there. Exciting to experience brand new offerings. I hope to share more details with you, post-cruise. 

Wait staff were suitably attentive,  restaurant manager/host that evening...less-so. 

The same lack of attention has been observed at Alfredos with the wait-staff team. Food was as expected.

@cruisequeen4ever

14 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Is Catch open? My mother-in-law has been trying to book it for her upcoming Alaska cruise in a few weeks, and it still is not showing up in the app to book.

2 minutes ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

The Catch is open! Went there for our first night dinner. Very impressed with the "creatively-prepared" food there. Exciting to experience brand new offerings. I hope to share more details with you, post-cruise. 

Wait staff were suitably attentive,  restaurant manager/host that evening...less-so. 

The same lack of attention has been observed at Alfredos with the wait-staff team. Food was as expected.

@cruisequeen4ever

We have not done Catch, but always enjoy Alfredo’s on boarding day, and may go today (Skagway day)

Some random thoughts on Majestic:

1 elevators are the fastest I have ever encountered onboard

2 food in MDR has been great

3 laundry is slow ( this is day 3…..will it arrive today?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

@cruisequeen4ever

That’s great info; thank you!

20 hours ago, Nelsj099 said:

@LawDog61You talked about turn around in Vancouver.  Could you leave the port To do whatever you wanted during your turn around time?  I am doing B2B out of Vancouver in June.

Yes, and that will be your best bet.   Leave for a few hours, let the new people board, get back on close to all-aboard time.