Sausalito

JoRoy218

On 5/6/2023 at 9:07 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Plus there is lots of bike lanes on both sides of the Bridge and it's approaches.  Hundreds of people bike the bridge each day. Just crossed the bridge today...in a 5 minute car crossing, saw 30 or 40 people crossing on bikes.

it's soooooo windy!!!!

On 5/1/2023 at 10:08 AM, JoRoy218 said:

We’re doing a California coastal in June and ship is scheduled to be spending an overnight in San Francisco. I’m looking at taking the ferry to Sausalito and wondering if anyone has any hints on what to do and see there. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks. 

I worked for a long time in Sausalito, and my favorite place to eat is a restaurant called Fish. It's a few blocks away from the main downtown, but worth the trip if you like seafood.

11 hours ago, marden1970 said:

I've done this many time, love lunch at Scoma's.

We had planned on Scoma’s for lunch but when calling to reserve, discovered they’re closed on Tuesdays. That figures, we’ll be there on a Tuesday. 😟 There are other good choices. Will also look into Fish as mentioned above. Thank you! 

10 hours ago, JoRoy218 said:

We had planned on Scoma’s for lunch but when calling to reserve, discovered they’re closed on Tuesdays. That figures, we’ll be there on a Tuesday. 😟 There are other good choices. Will also look into Fish as mentioned above. Thank you! 

Sorry, they also have a restaurant in the city, Fisherman's Wharf area.

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2023 at 8:17 PM, Philob said:

Golden Gate Bridge has two walkways. Eastside is for pedestrians and westside is for bikes.

We walked across the GGB back when I was in high school in the 80s.  What a fantastic experience it was.  I would do it again if I was still living in the Bay Area.

Back to the OP, I would do the ferry to Sausalito.  It's right there just a few piers away from where the ship will dock.  Spend a few hours shopping and walking around the area, have a nice lunch and then hop the ferry back to SF.  Have a leisurely dinner in SF.

Edited by Teeara

On 7/20/2023 at 3:25 AM, Teeara said:

Back to the OP, I would do the ferry to Sausalito

The OP's cruise was last month (June) but the info is good for others going in the future.

@JoRoy218 how was the cruise and what did you end up doing in Sausalito?  

~Nancy

18 hours ago, oakridger said:

The OP's cruise was last month (June) but the info is good for others going in the future.

@JoRoy218 how was the cruise and what did you end up doing in Sausalito?  

~Nancy

The cruise was great!  I believed I mentioned we stayed overnight in SF. Day 1 we took the Hoho bus for the entire loop, got off at several stops and further explored. Day 2 we decided against Sausalito based on some recommendations and did discover many of the shops we were interested in would not be open. We stayed in SF and did a lot of walking and exploring.

Just a great city to wander around (we were aware of some areas to avoid),

I hope that Sausalito will rebound in the near future, looks like it would be a cool place to visit. I highly recommend Princess cruises! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We did the on again/off again bus and it was great, went over the bridge into Sausalito and walked around (there was a great Christmas shop there that us women spent a couple of hours in much to our husbands dismay!) and a hamburger place that serves the worlds BEST burgers, we still talk about those burgers and plan on going back when we leave there for our Alaska cruise. The name of the place escapes me probably because the name is so simple I can't remember it but my husband does.