Inside cabin guarantee question on the Zaandam

Recently booked the Panama cruise in January 2024 with an N indicated as the cabin class with a guarantee room. I notice that there are only 4 such cabins on the entire ship. How does HAL work all of the inside guarantees against just four rooms?

Edited by Lakesregion
wrong date and spelling

Your guarantee is for the rate and a stateroom. You'll likely get something better than an N. You don't have control over where it will be, but the price is fixed.

6 hours ago, POA1 said:

Your guarantee is for the rate and a stateroom. You'll likely get something better than an N. You don't have control over where it will be, but the price is fixed.

Could be right above BB Kings, or right below the Melanoma Deck.  There's a reason guarantee rooms are always available for assignment at the last minute -  nobody else wanted them.

• Like 2

I think you would have to get the answer to that question by speaking with HAL and it's not likely you're going to get any information about how they do things, or why. It depends on your comfort level; If you like a certain cabin, on a certain deck, near a certain venue, you really should choose your own cabin. Even a one week cruise would be a nightmare if you're in a cabin that you hate. I always choose my cabin to avoid any discomfort because I'm not a free-spirit; I'm an old lady who wants comfort and convenience, and I don't mind paying for it. 

• Like 1

We have done many Guarantee rooms, several beginning with the lowest category, N or on some shops MM. Have never stayed in an N. Usually they were assigned to a contracted employee such as a visiting entertainer or lecturer. But we’ve had M and MM. And we’ve had upgrades. I’ve never been assigned a bad cabin but it can happen. 

Your cabin assignment will likely appear about 2 weeks out from your embarkation date. But it might not. We have had rooms assigned at the pier where we have to get the room assignment from the porter with the manifest. The later our room assignment has been, the better our “upgrade”.  So don’t despair, you’ll be on the ship!  

But if you are a light sleeper, as I am, bring ear plugs in case you get a room with sound from the show lounge or worst would be the galley. If you are prone to motion sickness bring your favorite remedy, sea bands or bonine or such because you will likely not be in a midship location. Enjoy your cruise!  
Maureen 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mosaic said:

But neither of the 2 above posts have anything to do with the OP question.  

And neither does your post, but they serve to provide information on guaranteed cabins in case the OP hadn't realized the implications.  

Isn't that the purpose of these forums - to share information?

Think of it as being guaranteed at the very least to get one of those N cabins for the rate you paid. You may be assigned something better if space allows, at HAL's discretion. ("Better" is a relative term, usually moving closer to A in the alphabet, typically an indicator of a more desirable location on the ship.)

9 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Could be right above BB Kings, or right below the Melanoma Deck. 

OP is asking about the Zaandam. There is no BB King's Nightclub. 
There are no cabins below the Sports Deck, and only four inside cabins below the Lido Deck. Can't get sunshine in any of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1