How on earth do you get to/from Ravenna?

*twinkle*

2 hours ago, TRUEBLUE66 said:

We have done Barcelona several times and love the city almost as much as Venice. 

May I also suggest you look at Athens. Plenty to do and see and the port is only 10/15 minutes from the centre. Lots of direct flights from the UK.

Lots of cruise choices to Greek Islands, Turkey and Israel.

clarification, the port is only 10-15 minutes from the center of Piraeus. Athens is about 30-45 minutes away.

51 minutes ago, fishiecrackers said:

We are doing one in June that leaves from Rome and arrives in Athens - both easy cities for transport.

We're doing this trip as well -- going to be spending a few days on either end in both cities, should be a good way to beat jet lag and see a few things on either end.  Also maybe it's just being from the USA, but we jump at any chance to ride trains, so riding for an hour with bags doesn't really phase us at all.

Side note, are you on the June 10th sailing? (Saw your location -- my wife and I lived in Fairbanks for 6 years).

3 hours ago, davekrnavek said:

We're doing this trip as well -- going to be spending a few days on either end in both cities, should be a good way to beat jet lag and see a few things on either end.  Also maybe it's just being from the USA, but we jump at any chance to ride trains, so riding for an hour with bags doesn't really phase us at all.

Side note, are you on the June 10th sailing? (Saw your location -- my wife and I lived in Fairbanks for 6 years).

We are June 12! And I hope you enjoyed your time living in Alaska! We are on Year 13! 🙂

7 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We did this trip May 22’.  Just keep in mind that you have to transfer trains and there are a lot of stairs, we didn’t find any elevators.  We did it fine, but if you have a lot of luggage it can make things difficult.

Thank you for the heads up. Venice and Ravenna I am quite comfortable with from research but yes its the transfer between the trains where I think it may be testing.

I just booked train tickets for a Venice to Ravenna transfer today, about 16 Euro with reserved seats. We're spening 3 nights in Venice before going to Ravenna the day before a cruise.There's one train change with only a 10 minute layover- I'm already planning on missing that connection.  But worst case scenario we wait an hour and catch the next regional train. 

12 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We did this trip May 22’.  Just keep in mind that you have to transfer trains and there are a lot of stairs, we didn’t find any elevators.  We did it fine, but if you have a lot of luggage it can make things difficult.

If your transfer point between Venice and Ravenna was Ferrara (as most are), there are elevators.

• Thanks 2

On 5/2/2023 at 10:00 PM, *twinkle* said:

Totally agree, although the itinerary's are a bit repetitive!  Flights and transfers easy peasy, but have been visiting the same ports of call for more than 10 years now.

I thought I was the only one to go from Barcelona multiple times.  🤣🤣 I love it, so easy to plan, and even if the ports are repetitive, most are ports that offer numerous different days out.

Just setting off for a cruise from Trieste, I think it seems just as much a faff as Ravenna, I doubt I would do it again. 

On 5/2/2023 at 1:27 PM, *twinkle* said:

Looking at a few cruises for May/June, but wondering about the logistics of transport from airport (Venice, Bologna or somewhere else).

Are RCL putting on some sort of shuttle service?  Obviously I realise they will charge for this, but difficult to find out info prior to actually making a booking.

Anyone got any intel?

Thank you 🙂

We are on the Celebrity Constellation cruise R/T from Ravenna on May 15th.

We are flying into Rome from Washington DC next Friday, May 12.  We will be taking the train from Rome to Florence for two nights.  On embarkation day, we will take the train from Florence to Ravenna via Bologna.

We have arranged for transfers from the Ravenna train station to the port through Celebrity using our travel agent.

On the return from Ravenna, taking the train back to Rome for three nights before we head home.

If you are a seasoned traveler, you shouldn’t have any problems getting to Ravenna.

Good luck.

Edited by ravenrob

8 hours ago, akb5k said:

I just booked train tickets for a Venice to Ravenna transfer today, about 16 Euro with reserved seats. We're spening 3 nights in Venice before going to Ravenna the day before a cruise.There's one train change with only a 10 minute layover- I'm already planning on missing that connection.  But worst case scenario we wait an hour and catch the next regional train. 

That’s actually a very long connection, you should be fine.....unless Italian trains just up and decide not to work normally that day.....

just know the stop stop before yours, and how long you have between them (if it’s a fast train, you probably have some time) then I would get out of your seat and gather your things about 5 min before the train is supposed to stop and you will be fine...

• Thanks 1

We are sailing out of Ravenna on the Explorer June 11.  We are staying a night in Venice before and after the cruise and have Round Trip transfers booked directly with Royal Caribbean from the Marco Polo airport to the cruise terminal. I have not received the paperwork yet, but I believe we are at the earliest time which was 9AM.  It was $90pp.

image.png.075e50a958300fd5c6cb2491ba3cf8d8.png

On 5/2/2023 at 1:28 PM, KiwiGal117 said:

We're booked on a cruise in September as well.  We will be in Rome for a few days first so we were planning to take the train to Ravenna (I think it goes through Bologna), my only concern is trying to get a taxi at Ravenna on a day where there is a ship turnover. Especially as we will probably need 3 taxis.  I will look into the coach transfer from Bologna as that may be easier.

Try looking into a private transfer service.  There are 6 of us doing an RCCL cruise and booked a transfer from our hotel in Bologna to the ship in Ravenna.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marken said:

Try looking into a private transfer service.  There are 6 of us doing an RCCL cruise and booked a transfer from our hotel in Bologna to the ship in Ravenna.

Thanks - yes I ended up doing that and booked through RomeInLimo.  While slightly more expensive than the train, it is much more straightforward and less hassle as they are picking us up at our hotel in Rome.

If anyone is thinking of getting the train from Venice we booked 'Executive' for £70 which I guess is around $80.

There is only 10 seats in the carriage with lunch and drinks at the seat, as long as you are comfortable changing at either Ferrara or Bologna it may be an alternative option for some. 

416x359_Frecciarossa-1000.jpg

• Like 1