Syd Norman's Pour House

Karezz

I am starting a new thread on this as it seems people are replying to topics started in the early 2000's!!

We frequented Syd Norman's on the Getaway in 2019. It was awesome! We are sailing the Viva in October and I noticed this ship also has Syd Norman's. However, I had read something online that this is now a paid (extra) venue! Is this true? In 2019 we simply walked in found a seat and had a great time. Anyone know anything about this?

Its is not a pay venue on the Prima so I doubt it will be on the Viva.  People line up early to get a seat but there are no reservations and anyone can walk in and find an open space or even a seat if someone leaves.  

Edited by Liljo22

NCL's website spazzes out sometimes and shows Syd's as a for pay venue. It's not. At least not yet. Ignore the website if it shows a cost. You'll know if you start hearing grousing on Cruise Critic about it truly becoming a paid venue.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We just got off Escape and I can confirm that Syd Norman's was definitely not a paid venue, but it did fill up quickly, we arrived at least45 minutes early to ensure a seat.  Every show was SRO by the the time the band took the stage at 9:00.  Great show!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
Posted (edited)

Was on the Escape last week. on Escape there is a place right outside Syd's. with bar, tables, speakers and screens to watch the band. does this exist on the Viva?

Edited by clpblue

12 minutes ago, clpblue said:

Was on the Escape last week. on Escape there is a place right outside Syd's. with bar, tables, speakers and screens to watch the band. does this exist on the Viva?

Don't know about the Viva, but that venue did not exist (at least this summer) on the sisiter ship, Prima.

53 minutes ago, clpblue said:

I’m curious about Syd’s on the Escape.  We just booked Escape for January.  When looking at what’s onboard it just called this venue as The Pour House…and described it as all new.  The other ships with Syd’s still use that name.  I wonder if they are abandoning the use of Syd Norman which I believe has licensing fees and restrictions (I.e., Syd Band can’t play outside Syd’s.).

IMO that would be s good thing for NCL cruisers…assuming they still do the same music/show.  With NCL controlling the performers, songs, and show,  they could also perform in main theater for larger crowds.  This is actually one NCL change I think is right on the money.

Here is the description that the Escape shows for The Pour House vs. The Breakaway.

Pour House

Get ready to bar hop to the all-new Pour House. From handcrafted cocktails on tap for the ones who like to shake things up, to classic libations for those who prefer to keep it neat, Pour House will have you saying bottoms up from the moment you step aboard.

Syd Norman’s Pour House

From gritty brick walls to live rock ’n’ roll, you’ll feel like you’re in one of LA’s legendary rock clubs at Syd Norman’s Pour House. Sip on a Witchy Woman while chilling on The Waterfront. Quiz the bartender’s encyclopedic knowledge of everything from Axl to Mick. Belt the night away to classics you love because after all, it’s only rock ’n’ roll but you’ll like it!

3 hours ago, laudergayle said:

I’m curious about Syd’s on the Escape.  We just booked Escape for January.  When looking at what’s onboard it just called this venue as The Pour House…and described it as all new.  The other ships with Syd’s still use that name.  I wonder if they are abandoning the use of Syd Norman which I believe has licensing fees and restrictions (I.e., Syd Band can’t play outside Syd’s.).

IMO that would be s good thing for NCL cruisers…assuming they still do the same music/show.  With NCL controlling the performers, songs, and show,  they could also perform in main theater for larger crowds.  This is actually one NCL change I think is right on the money.

Here is the description that the Escape shows for The Pour House vs. The Breakaway.

Pour House

Get ready to bar hop to the all-new Pour House. From handcrafted cocktails on tap for the ones who like to shake things up, to classic libations for those who prefer to keep it neat, Pour House will have you saying bottoms up from the moment you step aboard.

Syd Norman’s Pour House

From gritty brick walls to live rock ’n’ roll, you’ll feel like you’re in one of LA’s legendary rock clubs at Syd Norman’s Pour House. Sip on a Witchy Woman while chilling on The Waterfront. Quiz the bartender’s encyclopedic knowledge of everything from Axl to Mick. Belt the night away to classics you love because after all, it’s only rock ’n’ roll but you’ll like it!

Syd Norman is a made up name and person.  No royalties required.

The location restriction is for the Fleetwood Mac Rumors performance.

On Breakaway Christmas cruise, the band played as part of the Christmas show at the main theater.  They also played 4 gigs at Syd Normans that cruise (Fleetwood Mac, 2 nights of classic rock, and Prom night)

They have also been confirmed playing in the Viva theater's "open" configuration for Prom night.  (The open configuration leaves a large dance floor area in front of the stage, making it a "Prom like" event.)

The whole idea of Syd Normans is to enact the small club feeling of large cities, where many rock groups get their start.  This includes the closeness and interaction with the crowd.  You can't get that in the main theaters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

The whole idea of Syd Normans is to enact the small club feeling of large cities, where many rock groups get their start.  This includes the closeness and interaction with the crowd.  You can't get that in the main theaters.

And that closeness surely adds to the fun of their performance. On the Prima this past summer I even got to speak with 2 of the singers who were fascinated with my experience at the original Woodstock festival in 1969.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And that closeness surely adds to the fun of their performance. On the Prima this past summer I even got to speak with 2 of the singers who were fascinated with my experience at the original Woodstock festival in 1969.

I don’t disagree that having a small, limited seating venue is the preferred setting for an up close performance.  But I also like when the musicians/performers can do their show for larger audiences who may not have been able (or want) to see in Syd’s.  The Cavern Club Beatles is a good example.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Syd Norman is a made up name and person.  No royalties required.

The location restriction is for the Fleetwood Mac Rumors performance.

On Breakaway Christmas cruise, the band played as part of the Christmas show at the main theater.  They also played 4 gigs at Syd Normans that cruise (Fleetwood Mac, 2 nights of classic rock, and Prom night)

They have also been confirmed playing in the Viva theater's "open" configuration for Prom night.  (The open configuration leaves a large dance floor area in front of the stage, making it a "Prom like" event.)

Made up person but created by the team behind Rock of Ages for NCL.  There is a separate company that NCL contracts with to license the shows.  They do restrict where their performers can sing even outside of Rumors.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2024 at 10:09 PM, ontheweb said:

Don't know about the Viva, but that venue did not exist (at least this summer) on the sisiter ship, Prima.

Cruised on Prima and Viva and both had Syd’s pour house. Couldn’t get a seat but enjoyed the performances of Rumours.

11 hours ago, ppcox said:

Cruised on Prima and Viva and both had Syd’s pour house. Couldn’t get a seat but enjoyed the performances of Rumours.

I only had a seat once, and I gave it up. It's rock and roll; you stand and shake your old body to the music!

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I only had a seat once, and I gave it up. It's rock and roll; you stand and shake your old body to the music!

Yes you are right and my husband was Ok standing. He went every time it was on. I’m limited to the amount of standing I can do without pain. Especially after a busy day.

• Like 1