Coordinating dock time with outside excursion

KaDarr

Our docking time in Greenwich is shown as 12 noon on September 15. Is it reasonable to assume that we could make it to a viator tour of the Tower of London at 2:00 p.m.? I know that the ship is at the mercy of the tide and I'm nervous about booking a tour that we may not be able to make. 

4 minutes ago, KaDarr said:

Our docking time in Greenwich is shown as 12 noon on September 15. Is it reasonable to assume that we could make it to a viator tour of the Tower of London at 2:00 p.m.? I know that the ship is at the mercy of the tide and I'm nervous about booking a tour that we may not be able to make. 

I would think that would be a bit dodgy.  If on time, and if cleared promptly the good news is you catch the Thames boats right where you would go ashore.  Still, everything would have to be perfect.  What is the Viator cancellation policy?  

In my opinion, you don't really need a tour provider to visit and see the Tower of London. Just buy a ticket and self-guide. At least that's what we did in 2003, so things may have changed a bit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ropomo said:

In my opinion, you don't really need a tour provider to visit and see the Tower of London. Just buy a ticket and self-guide. At least that's what we did in 2003, so things may have changed a bit.

We were there in 2018 in April. There were timed tickets and they paired you with a Beefeater guide. It was not a long wait—but not a ton of tourists at that time.

My first trip there was on a study abroad program in 1977. No memory at all of the ticket set up then but probably no advance tickets!

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

We were there in 2018 in April. There were timed tickets and they paired you with a Beefeater guide. It was not a long wait—but not a ton of tourists at that time.

My first trip there was on a study abroad program in 1977. No memory at all of the ticket set up then but probably no advance tickets!

You know Linda, I too was there for the first time in the 70s, living and studying in London for a year, and remember just taking the boat down the Thames and going in.  And many times after that.  Then about 20-25 years ago, I remember special, I want to say timed, tickets to get in to see the Crown Jewels.  We didn’t go at the end of our WC in 2019, but we will go next spring.  It will be interesting to see what is up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I was curious, so went to the website.  Here’s what I found.  Currently no timed tickets for anything.  

1BF74A30-9458-4477-BB3D-F8A5B19FF333.thumb.png.bfe4a4b4c3bb22f48ea68b764dcc9cb1.png

We will be in London next month and have been making our plans. Many sites were on timed tickets because of COVID restrictions but that has now passed.

• Like 1

This Viator tour was a "small group" tour of the tower with an experienced guide. I guess I can just get the $38 ticket and do the self guided tour. I don't think it will be as special but it is what it is. 

Thanks everyone

11 minutes ago, KaDarr said:

This Viator tour was a "small group" tour of the tower with an experienced guide. I guess I can just get the $38 ticket and do the self guided tour. I don't think it will be as special but it is what it is. 

Thanks everyone

When a Beefeater is speaking to a group nothing wrong with you standing nearby and hearing the talk. Every one I ever stood near had quite the voice.😎

• Like 1

"Our docking time in Greenwich is shown as 12 noon on September 15"

That's the prediction based on the tide table.  The pilot will only bring your ship up the Thames when conditions have reached full high tide - and the actual time can vary by an hour either way from the tide table prediction depending on winds.  So you can't be sure of your exact arrival time.

• Like 1