Inside Passage

Hottubmomma

The inside passage has a number of islands.  So the ship will have land on one side and numerous islands, some very large, on the other side.  The Gulf of Alaska, as you leave the inside passage and head toward Seward, can have larger waves.  The definition of "rough" is so subjective, but on one cruise through the Gulf of Alaska the ship movement didn't bother us, but some were definitely experiencing some motion sickness.

You should have a very smooth cruise.  Most of the inside Passage is like cruising up a wide river.  Where it could get somewhat rough is Queen Charlotte Sound, between the Canadian and American sides of the IP.  But even then, it shouldn't be bad.

I am looking for the same answer.  We are on the Princess Sapphire leaving Vancouver on July 12.  My husband tends to get seasick in rough waters.  I note we will have two days of "scenic cruising" after we leave Skagway on our way to Anchorage.  Should I be worried?

32 minutes ago, bisabella said:

I am looking for the same answer.  We are on the Princess Sapphire leaving Vancouver on July 12.  My husband tends to get seasick in rough waters.  I note we will have two days of "scenic cruising" after we leave Skagway on our way to Anchorage.  Should I be worried?

Again, anything is possible when crossing the Gulf of Alaska, but it should still be ok in June.  On Princess, you'll be cruising to Whittier.  The ship stays pretty close to shore, and you should have some great views, like of Mt Saint Elias.  

1 hour ago, Hottubmomma said:

We will be doing a cruise to Alaska at the end of June. The cruise is the inside passage. Will the water be rough? We start in Vancouver and end in Seward.

Thank you

The Inside Passage runs from Olympia to Skagway, but few cruise ships spend much time cruising the "Inside Passage" these days. Your cruise may state the Inside Passage, but you may spend a small percentage of the cruise in the Inside Passage.

Departing Vancouver, you sail through Georgia Strait for about 5 hrs, which can have some swell and occasionally strong NW'ly winds. In June, you have a reasonable chance of fairly smooth sailing. From about 22:00/23:00 for 8 hrs you will be in smooth water, then you will most likely use Hecate Strait, which can be unpredictable at any time of year. Very few cruise ships continue through the Inside Passage.

In Alaska, how much of the Inside Passage used depends on the ports. Once you depart Icy Strait you will be sailing through the Pacific Ocean towards Seward. In June you have better probability of smooth seas, but no guarantees.

What ship are you on? It depends on your ship.  The bigger ships tend to go outside of Vancouver Island and avoid Seymour Narrows.  No big Princess ships go inside Vancouver Island.  The weather is worse on the outside passage in general as you are in the open sea.

since Ketchikan is your first stop, you will enter the Alaska portion of the Inside Passage at Dixon Entrance.  The last few days you'll be in the Gulf of Alaska.

1 hour ago, Hottubmomma said:

We are on the Viking Orion

You have a great itinerary!  You’ll be inside Vancouver Island and cruising close to shore.  Keep an eye out for humpbacks at Blackney Passage.  Maybe some orca around by then as well.

1 hour ago, wolfie11 said:

You have a great itinerary!  You’ll be inside Vancouver Island and cruising close to shore.  Keep an eye out for humpbacks at Blackney Passage.  Maybe some orca around by then as well.

Thank you for your help!

14 hours ago, Hottubmomma said:

Thank you..here are the ports we are visiting and in the order I believe

from Vancouver to Ketchikan, Icy Straight, Juneau, Haines, Sitka, Valdez, and Seward.

5 hours ago, Hottubmomma said:

We are on the Viking Orion

That's a great itinerary on a fantastic cruise line (at least, from what I've read and heard 🙂).  Enjoy your cruise!