Live and Solo: Dustin's European Adventure (Explorer May 8)

My husband passed away last year and I took my first solo cruise this past March. It was a great experience and I'm planning another solo next year. I'm really enjoying your pictures and trip posts so far. Rome and Venice are on my bucket list.

7 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

Looking forward to this live!  We are doing our first European cruise next month out of Ravenna on Explorer.   

Cool!  If you have question about the ship, let me know!

6 hours ago, jacobtsf said:

Please don’t feel like you shouldn’t be posting the pre and post land tour bits, what you’ve posted so far is wonderful!

Appreciate that!

4 hours ago, MzShae said:

My husband passed away last year and I took my first solo cruise this past March. It was a great experience and I'm planning another solo next year. I'm really enjoying your pictures and trip posts so far. Rome and Venice are on my bucket list.

Sorry about your loss, glad you are enjoying 

1 hour ago, perfect match said:

Thank you, Dustin. I’m really enjoying your review including the land portions. Thank you very much for sharing with us.

Thanks!

Apparently the first fountain in Rome with  water coming out the top and base painted to look like the sea. (Per the tour guide).

And some other photos from this morning. Viewing crypts right now. 

IMG_5725.jpeg

IMG_5724.jpeg

IMG_5723.jpeg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, DandDM said:

Cool!  If you have question about the ship, let me know!

Thank you!  I am also looking forward to your Venice info as we will be there for a day/night at the beginning and the end. We are also doing Amsterdam and London for 3/4 nights each before we head to Italy so it was great to see your lovely Amsterdam photos.

Just got back to the room...not very late but feel like I've had a full day. Woke up a bit latter than I'd planned, so just had time to shower dress and get to the tour. No coffee or breakfast, more on that later. Needed to wear long pants for the churches we were going to visit so specifically brought my travel pants for those (may be nerdy, but I like the fact that the legs zipper off so I can convert to shorts). Was very disappointed to find how tight those pants were. Haven't worn them since before Covid, so probably should have tried them on earlier.  They worked but was a little uncomfortable.

Got to the tour site and there was a lot of people.  Name of the tour was "Crypts and Catacombs, small group tour". Thought maybe others were there for another tour, but nope, everyone got in line for this one. Initially they broke us into groups, so I figured that was how they would make is a 'small group', but that was only because bigger groups wouldn't fit into the venues.  So the larger group had to be split up at the different locations, and everyone had to wait, so the whole tour ended up being rushed.  Overall I liked the tour, but could not recommend it based on the group size.  I may contact the vendor as it was promised as no more than 16 people, not 60!

Anyway, the tour (and I digress yet again - no one is complaining about the length of my pre-cruise posts, and in fact seem to be encouraging me, so I'm going back to full detail mode). The tour visited three places: the Capuchin Crypt; the Frati Minori Catacomb, and the Basilica San Martino (i think, they also called it the Title of Equititus). Picture were not allowed, so I'll give a short discritpion.

Overall an interesting tour as crypts and catacombs have always intrigued me. The Capuchin Crypt was a series of rooms that were decorated with the bones of deceased monks. The rooms were cool, but we had to start with a long route through a museum of the monk's history which included such insights as the fact that they were no allowed to read any book other than the bible for centuries because all the information they would ever need is in the bible. Apparently in more recent times they are allowed to read certain other religious books, but they didn't say if that is still the case. Also saw the chains with spikes that they used to use to perform self-flagellation. They also talked about the good things the order has done but I obviously got hung up on certain parts.  Regardless, it was a good visit.

Second was the catacombs, reported to be the largest in Rome with over 9 miles of tunnels and over 150,000 crypts. We only got to tour a small portion, and some notes to share - the bones are all long gone and there are few examples of the original art work left. Still interesting to see and our tour guide for that portion was a dead ringer for Daniel Radcliffe. 

Finally, we finished at an old church. Our tour guide talked us through the history of the church and why it was designed and decorated like it was. I was surprised that I found that interesting; turns out there is a reason why those old churches look the way they do and it kinda makes sense. I always thought they just jammed in as much artwork and shrines as possible... We finished with a tour of the sub basement, which served as an early Christian church during the roman empire.

As I mentioned, photo opportunities were limited so I have one photo that I snuck at the catacomb of the original resting place of an early saint, then an exterior and two interior photos of the old church and subbasement.  

IMG-5740.jpg

IMG-5736.jpg

IMG-5732.jpg

IMG-5727.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As I mentioned previously, rushed out this morning without breakfast or coffee. Noticed the lack of coffee as I was struggling to stay awake a couple times when the tour guide was talking. Was also hungry so stopped at one of the first restaurants I found. Turns out it was a seafood place, so I had octopus.  Overall pretty good, especially the 'bag' of bread. So I didn't have to remember what I ordered, took a screen shot.

Been specifically mentioning the coffee to prep for this story.  When I got seated, I immediately asked for coffee. The waiter was clearly taken aback and wanted to clarify that I wanted coffee (expresso) after the meal.  I said "No, I would like it now".  He seemed to acknowledge that, but I still didn't get the tiny espresso shot until after the meal! I was so happy to see it that I took a photo. Also wanted to mention that my plate was a little messy because I took a couple bites before I remembered to take a photo. The original presentation was clean.

IMG-5741.jpg

IMG-5746.jpg

IMG-5742.PNG

IMG-5745.jpg

Edited by DandDM
forgot to attach photos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

After the meal I went to the Palazzo Massimo, which is the national museum dedicated to architecture (and old statues). I'm into that stuff so enjoyed it, but the place was pretty big, and getting from floor to floor required long stretches of stairs. The first two floors had old busts and statues which they put in historic relevance based on the events around the time they were created. My favorite was the third floor which had mosaics and art from old villas; they had rooms set up to recreate old baths and villas from the time of the roman empire. Spent about two hours in the museum, I probably could have spent a little longer but was getting pretty tired!

I understand this is one of four national museums in that general area, I will put it on my list to visit the others in the future (can't do it tomorrow because they are closed on Sunday), 

It's now 5 PM and I don't have plans for this evening. Going to relax in my room for a bit and sip on some wine, then will head out with no agenda later. 

Tomorrow is a light day with the only planned item an evening food and wine excursion. Thinking about hitting some of the classics: Spanish steps, pantheon, and Trevi fountain. Will be a light day, though, as I'm getting a bit warn down and want to be rested for the ship on Monday!

Cheers,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sowhat said:

Just booked this cruise 4 days before sail date.
First time on Explorer of the Seas in Europe

Wow! Hope to see you on board.

5 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

Thank you!  I am also looking forward to your Venice info as we will be there for a day/night at the beginning and the end. We are also doing Amsterdam and London for 3/4 nights each before we head to Italy so it was great to see your lovely Amsterdam photos.

You are welcome!  Sounds like you are going to have an amazing trip!

4 hours ago, batoryfirst said:

So enjoying your posts. Lots of good info. 

On your Delta flight in Premium Select, how was your comfort level when passenger in front of you reclined their seat?

Nancy

It was fine. There was enough room between me and the seat in front that I barely noticed. Also, the tray tables come up from the arm rest, so that is not impacted.  Only thing I had to do was adjust the screen a bit. 

As an example of the room, when my seat was reclined, I could not reach the screen without sitting upright.

• Like 1

This afternoon I took a shower, had a short nap, then a strong cup of coffee and I was ready to go! Didn't have a plan so wondered around - had an idea of the places I wanted to go, so headed in a general direction taking whatever streets seemed interesting, then would check my phone map after a while. 

Very pretty and fun, and mostly uneventful. One quick story - wanted to beer for the walk, but held off because beer = bathroom.  But when I knew I was headed back to the room I got one in a little shop. While I was still drinking the beer, I walked through a large courtyard in front of a government building which was teaming with police, and me. Based on the number of people I saw with open drinks, wasn't too worried but according to Sammy (tour guide from last night), open containers in public are technically illegal, but it is rarely enforced. So got a little paranoid walking by all these cops, but they didn't give me a second glance. 

One other thing - certain parts of the city were PACKED!  Trevi fountain and the streets around it were the busiest, but there were a lot of folks out and about!

Will need to do two posts to get my favorite photos posted; some sites are the famous ones, others just looked cool.  Think I fixed the sideways one.

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5785.jpg

IMG_5784.jpg

IMG_5783.jpg

3e64tpxi.png

Edited by DandDM
Fixed photo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Post two of my night walk.  The photo of the crowd is around Trevi fountain, and the street view was directly off the plaza.  

IMG_5809.jpg

IMG_5793.jpg

IMG_5792.jpg

5drwwttn.png

nmqvbttr.png

Edited by DandDM
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Enjoying your review.  You were very brave in Amsterdam!  They were among the worst last summer with people missing flights due to long security lines.  My hotel recommended going 3 to 4 hours early, which wouldn't have worked for your layover had you been through there last year.

I love Rome.  If you have no specific plans for lunch can recommend Sora Margherita in the Jewish Quarter.  It's wonderful and fairly close to where you're staying.  Enjoy the rest of your trip!

6 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Enjoying your review.  You were very brave in Amsterdam!  They were among the worst last summer with people missing flights due to long security lines.  My hotel recommended going 3 to 4 hours early, which wouldn't have worked for your layover had you been through there last year.

I love Rome.  If you have no specific plans for lunch can recommend Sora Margherita in the Jewish Quarter.  It's wonderful and fairly close to where you're staying.  Enjoy the rest of your trip!

I have been to that part of town so will check it out.  

go Steelers!

• Like 1

This may be a double post…

it’s about 9:30 Sunday morning. The line to get into the coliseum wraps alll the way around, past the arc and out of view. Wow. 

IMG_5811.jpeg

IMG_5810.jpeg

Edited by DandDM
  • Like 4

Had a wonderful walk this morning. The crowds related to the Race for a cure are huge; I researched and found that they were expecting 81,000. Frankly, I would have guessed higher.

Took a lot of photos and will truncate to three to share. This first one shows more of the crowds, but real intent is to illustrate that little door in the middle, below the street level and right above the red roof.  That is the 'secret' passage I talked about earlier in the roman forum that connects to some ancient passageways and then gives access to the area across the street.

y1dkm343.png.aa2cc25fee66f41b3cbd712c189c030a.png

This guy is the remains of an ancient temple that was started around 200bc and remained in use until the 1800.  For the last few hundred years, it was a fish market.

syfyl0nm.png.d98858f42f921f9cc20502ddce232e3c.png

Finally, this was a theatre that Julius Ceasar started and Augustus finished. Not only is it remarkable that it is still there, but it was repurposed in the middle ages as a fortress with the brick structure built on top. Apparently until a hundred years ago or so, the original structure was largely forgotten as it was either under ground, or hidden behind newer structures that had been built around it. Only the top part was visible. 

IMG_5834.jpg.271eb937240ef7d0ab43890ead2d5ac8.jpg

I found the restaurant Steeler Nation recommended, but they don't open until 12:30 so will try again later. One silly item: I stopped at the restaurant on the ground floor of my building to get a couple beers for the room. I gave the guy a ten and he didn't give me change. I questioned him and he said they were five each. Since I bought the same beer near the Trivi Fountain last night for two euro, I think a little grifting was going on...wonder what would have happened if I gave him a five! The beer is good and hit the spot, but next time I'll walk to the little store down the street.

Cheers,

Edited by DandDM
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1