Crown Princess ship conditions?

larrybritt

I will find out in a week about the Crown. In the past, my worst cruise experience on Princess was on the Crown. So we will see how this goes. I have sort of avoided the ship since then but the itinerary drew me in on this cruise and the timing worked great with my schedule.

I don't expect a 2006 ship to look brand new. I realize there will be rust and that won't affect me. All ships this age will have rust. That is what happens when they are exposed to water for long periods of time. I was on the Grand Princess in Dec 2020 and was surprised at how great she looked inside.

Weather permitting and internet permitting, I may do a live from...... I will be honest. I am not a Princess cheerleader. If anything - people have accused me of being critical of Princess and recent changes.

Still struggling to Plus or not to Plus. I was ok with $40 per day, and $50 per day and am not sure about $60 per day. Though I have a ton of OBC on this cruise and only one excursion booked through the ship (rest are private). I have 4 days pre-cruise before the cruise.

• Like 2

@Coral.  We are not super fans of sailing on the Crown.  We are light eaters and prefer the buffet for food.  However, we know on the Crown that our choices will be very limited and the layout not the best.  I did see someone else's video of the Crown buffet and it looks like I will be bringing my own cereal for breakfast. 😁

The fixed shower heads will also be an issue for me as I am short and subject to ear infections if the water gets inside them.  Ear plugs don't work; this is why the hand-held shower heads work better for me.  I had my TA request  a hand-held shower head; will see if it is there upon our arrival.  So far, I have had a 50% success rate when I have requested one.

As I mentioned in a past discussion, the itinerary is the biggest draw for us as it contains lots of our favorite stops.  This might be a "one and done" on the Crown for us but we are willing to take the chance for a good itinerary.

Hope you are able to post and share your experiences.  Safe travels.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

@Coral.  We are not super fans of sailing on the Crown.  We are light eaters and prefer the buffet for food.  However, we know on the Crown that our choices will be very limited and the layout not the best.  I did see someone else's video of the Crown buffet and it looks like I will be bringing my own cereal for breakfast. 😁

The fixed shower heads will also be an issue for me as I am short and subject to ear infections if the water gets inside them.  Ear plugs don't work; this is why the hand-held shower heads work better for me.  I had my TA request  a hand-held shower head; will see if it is there upon our arrival.  So far, I have had a 50% success rate when I have requested one.

As I mentioned in a past discussion, the itinerary is the biggest draw for us as it contains lots of our favorite stops.  This might be a "one and done" on the Crown for us but we are willing to take the chance for a good itinerary.

A friend had this cruise booked and had mentioned it in November when we were on a different cruise. I really didn't pay much attention to it at the time. It wasn't until you mentioned it that I looked at it and booked. My friend has since had to cancel the cruise. So I will be solo on this.

My last experience on the Crown was horrible but a long time ago. I swore not to go again.

Based on another post (not sure if it was yours or someone else's) - I also requested a hand held shower head (through the web). I will let you know if I get it.

For me - this trip is all about Alaska and the ship is secondary. Since I will be solo - I will see where I end up eating. I cancelled all of our reservations for dining. I wish there was an Alfredos. I have never starved on Princess but I wasn't thrilled with the food on my TA in November.

I have some great excursions booked (some thanks to you - Glacier Wind). The weather looked lousy a few days ago and has started to turnaround. 

I will be in Alaska and will be happy. That is all that matters to me! Ship is secondary.

We can compare notes after your trip 🙂 

I truly appreciate all of your comments and opinions on the Crown Princess. 

My husband and myself will be doing our 1st voyage on her in June to Alaska.

We tend to be the glass is 1/2 full vs 1/2 empty type of people so we are looking forward to all that the Crown has to offer. 

We appreciate all of your input and opinions . 

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Italy52, I just got off the Crown on a 28 day sailing and I requested a shower wand and didn’t receive.  My cabin steward told me there weren’t anymore available.    Guest services told me the same thing so our first stop we made it to a Walmart and we bought a very cheap one around $20.    My husband replaced our shower head with the wand we bought and it was heaven.    The box was actually small and we had no problem finding room for it in our luggage coming home.    Others on my same sailing said they had absolutely no problem getting their cabin steward to replace it for them.    I wanted one for the convenience but it sounds like you need one for health reasons to protect your ears.    You may want to consider bringing a cheap one from home.    It worked great for us.    

Also, the buffet on our sailing was very good.   As always, some of the items were hit or miss but the variety was always very good.   I hope you find it to be a pleasant surprise.   

The crew on the Crown was outstanding.   It was the best crew we’ve ever had on any cruise.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@tawlaw1526Thank you for your post and suggestion, I appreciate it very much.  When you made your initial request for the shower wand, did you do it through the app, prior to boarding?  Just wondering if it made a difference when it was ordered.  And yes, I do need it for medical reasons. The one time I wasn't able to get a hand-held shower head I had to use a cup and it took forever to wash my hair.😒

I heard the crew on the Crown was very good.  Glad you had a good experience as well. 

I guess I will find out if the buffet works for me once on board.  If not, there is always a few outdoor venues as well for food.  I will survive --- We love Alaska and won't let anything spoil our trip.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Based on another post (not sure if it was yours or someone else's) - I also requested a hand held shower head (through the web). I will let you know if I get it.

I requested mine through my TA and it is on my Travel Summary.  I look forward to hearing if you got your hand held shower head.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

For me - this trip is all about Alaska and the ship is secondary. Since I will be solo - I will see where I end up eating. I cancelled all of our reservations for dining. I wish there was an Alfredos. I have never starved on Princess but I wasn't thrilled with the food on my TA in November.

Wish the ship had an Alfredos as well.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I have some great excursions booked (some thanks to you - Glacier Wind). The weather looked lousy a few days ago and has started to turnaround. 

Yeah!  Glacier Wind. Hope you have a great time.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I will be in Alaska and will be happy. That is all that matters to me! Ship is secondary.

We can compare notes after your trip 🙂 

You said it!  The cruise is all about Alaska!  And yes, will have to compare notes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

@tawlaw1526Thank you for your post and suggestion, I appreciate it very much.  When you made your initial request for the shower wand, did you do it through the app, prior to boarding?  Just wondering if it made a difference when it was ordered.  And yes, I do need it for medical reasons. The one time I wasn't able to get a hand-held shower head I had to use a cup and it took forever to wash my hair.😒

I heard the crew on the Crown was very good.  Glad you had a good experience as well. 

I guess I will find out if the buffet works for me once on board.  If not, there is always a few outdoor venues as well for food.  I will survive --- We love Alaska and won't let anything spoil our trip.

Yes, I requested it in the app and it wasn’t in my bathroom upon arrival so I asked cabin steward and when that wasn’t successful, I went to customer service and when that wasn’t successful we went to Walmart.    😀

We dried it out very well and packaged it back up and will be taking it with us anytime we sail on the older ships.   It took my husband two minutes to screw old one off and new one on and vice versa.    Way less time than trying to beg for it through the app, then with the cabin steward and with customer service.   

We both thought it was money well spent.  

4 minutes ago, tawlaw1526 said:

Yes, I requested it in the app and it wasn’t in my bathroom upon arrival so I asked cabin steward and when that wasn’t successful, I went to customer service and when that wasn’t successful we went to Walmart.    😀

We dried it out very well and packaged it back up and will be taking it with us anytime we sail on the older ships.   It took my husband two minutes to screw old one off and new one on and vice versa.    Way less time than trying to beg for it through the app, then with the cabin steward and with customer service.   

We both thought it was money well spent.  

Do you happen to have a picture of what it looks like?

9 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Do you happen to have a picture of what it looks like?

I am sorry, I don’t.    I never thought to take one.   Look on Amazon or go to your local Walmart, Home Depot, etc and just buy a reasonably priced shower wand.   We are now dedicating ours to cruising on older ships.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tawlaw1526 said:

I am sorry, I don’t.    I never thought to take one.   Look on Amazon or go to your local Walmart, Home Depot, etc and just buy a reasonably priced shower wand.   We are now dedicating ours to cruising on older ships.   

We know it’s an old ship too and concerned A little about the conditions. But our first time to Alaska and hope that just overrides the ship. As long as the cabin is ok enough to relax and get good rest I think all will be ok. Food as we all know is hit or miss depending on everyone’s opinions. Hope you guys have a great trip and look Forward to hearing about it as we go July4th

3 hours ago, larrybritt said:

We know it’s an old ship too and concerned A little about the conditions. But our first time to Alaska and hope that just overrides the ship. As long as the cabin is ok enough to relax and get good rest I think all will be ok. Food as we all know is hit or miss depending on everyone’s opinions. Hope you guys have a great trip and look Forward to hearing about it as we go July4th

Larrybritt, you have nothing to worry about, the ship is very good.   Yes, it’s an older ship and looks outdated but she’s very clean and has an excellent crew on board.    We managed to get plenty of time to relax and we got excellent sleep.  Alaska is fabulous and you’ll have a great time seeing and doing everything Alaska aboard the Crown Princess.   

• Like 3

On 5/7/2023 at 9:02 AM, Italy52 said:

I requested to have a hand held shower head on one of my cruises.  My issue was that it was not a fixed one like I’m used to.  So I either had to hang onto it or let it dangle, so I asked to have it removed as it was just too awkward.  YMMV

We love the Crown spent 47 days on her last year and so far have 17 days booked for this year including 10 days to Alaska.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Prefer the Crown and her siblings to the Royal class ships.  Skywalkers and Adagio are great places to read and relax during the day with views.

We also enjoy the multiple pool areas vs the Royal class ships.

My wife and I took our first Princess cruise to Mexico a couple years ago on the Ruby and loved the older ship vibe. The dated furnishings felt warm and comforting to us, and my wife like the art better than our Alaska cruise last year on the Discovery.

We are booking the Thanksgiving cruise to Mexico on the Crown and are trying to convince our friends to give her another shot.

They were on the ill-fated Alaska cruise last year where the engine broke and they missed almost all the ports. They were very upset and Princess did not compensate them for the missed ports.

I have read here that the latest trips have been fine, so I have no problem sailing on her. We really missed the promenade deck when we were on Discovery and our trip on NCL Joy last year.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello:

Just looking back at all the Crown posts since we sail her for the first time for a Thanksgiving cruise out of SF (just were on the Royal a few weeks ago).

Some of the reviews scare me (i.e. fires and flooding) but many were before the recent drydock so it seems as if things have improved.

But I'm still reading conflicting things on the mattresses--did they only update some mattresses? (We loved the mattresses on the Royal). We will be on the Emerald deck. Thanks!

25 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Hello:

Just looking back at all the Crown posts since we sail her for the first time for a Thanksgiving cruise out of SF (just were on the Royal a few weeks ago).

Some of the reviews scare me (i.e. fires and flooding) but many were before the recent drydock so it seems as if things have improved.

But I'm still reading conflicting things on the mattresses--did they only update some mattresses? (We loved the mattresses on the Royal). We will be on the Emerald deck. Thanks!

My mattress on the Emerald deck (E721) was horrible. It was too soft for me and I like soft mattresses. My hips hurt at night (not enough support).

I thought the ship was clean. I didn't see anything wrong with it. It was funny - walking along Emerald deck, I noticed there were 3 different patterns of carpets in different state rooms. I asked about it and they said if there was a stain they couldn't get out, they would replace the carpet. My room had a dated carpet design (but clean). I did see them shampooing carpets in empty rooms (our floor was not full). 

I didn't see anything that wasn't maintained. I read people were complaining about the size of the elevator - there is nothing they can do about that. There maybe some things that are outdated but the ship was super clean and the staff were mostly outstanding. There are a few things I didn't like about the cruise (Dine My Way) but that is another story.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coral said:

My mattress on the Emerald deck (E721) was horrible. It was too soft for me and I like soft mattresses. My hips hurt at night (not enough support).

I thought the ship was clean. I didn't see anything wrong with it. It was funny - walking along Emerald deck, I noticed there were 3 different patterns of carpets in different state rooms. I asked about it and they said if there was a stain they couldn't get out, they would replace the carpet. My room had a dated design (but clean). I did see them shampooing carpets in empty rooms (our floor was not full). 

I didn't see anything that wasn't maintained. I read people were complaining about the size of the elevator - there is nothing they can do about that. There maybe some things that are outdated but the ship was super clean and the staff were mostly outstanding. There are a few things I didn't like about the cruise (Dine My Way) but that is another story.

Thanks for the reply. Too bad about the mattress but hopefully it won't be extremely horrible for us (traveling with lots of family and most of us are on the Emerald deck).

Glad to hear about the good things overall. We had some issues with Dine my way on the Royal even after pre-booking dinner times on the app before we sailed but then would tell the staff at the dining room during lunch about sitting together for dinner and they tried to accommodate us... Will see how it goes on the Crown; I know it will be busy given that it is a Thanksgiving cruise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Thanks for the reply. Too bad about the mattress but hopefully it won't be extremely horrible for us (traveling with lots of family and most of us are on the Emerald deck).

Glad to hear about the good things overall. We had some issues with Dine my way on the Royal even after pre-booking dinner times on the app before we sailed but then would tell the staff at the dining room during lunch about sitting together for dinner and they tried to accommodate us... Will see how it goes on the Crown; I know it will be busy given that it is a Thanksgiving cruise.

I meant my carpeting in my room had a dated design. I saw other carpets in other rooms that were more modern. 

• Like 1