Distilled Water & Extension Cord??

Joiseymom

Sailing the Meraviglia. Initially in a balcony now Yacht club deluxe. Husband uses a CPAP machine. We filled out the form requesting both distilled water and an extension cord. Just received an email stating " We have received your Special Needs form for Booking #x and are placing the appropriate notes into your booking. You should know that we do not keep a supply of distilled water for CPAP machines. In order to have what you need when you need it, we recommend that you bring your own distilled water and a standard extension cord". 

Ok, can I expect the Yacht Club to provide this for us, or do I need to bring it with us?

Thanks!

This must be something new. We've sailed in YC twice and they've always provided distilled water. My husband usually brings his own extension cord, but I do think he used one of theirs on our last cruise.

• Thanks 1

Last year on our first MSC cruise our butler brought me a plastic cup of distilled water daily.  I brought my own extension cord.  Next week I will again bring my own extension cord but I'm not dragging a gallon of water with me.  I will request the water as soon as we are on board. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Joiseymom said:

Sailing the Meraviglia. Initially in a balcony now Yacht club deluxe. Husband uses a CPAP machine. We filled out the form requesting both distilled water and an extension cord. Just received an email stating " We have received your Special Needs form for Booking #x and are placing the appropriate notes into your booking. You should know that we do not keep a supply of distilled water for CPAP machines. In order to have what you need when you need it, we recommend that you bring your own distilled water and a standard extension cord". 

Ok, can I expect the Yacht Club to provide this for us, or do I need to bring it with us?

Thanks!

So if this is what the cruiseline is telling you NOW (in May of 2023) may I ask WHY you might expect something different?  YC has no bearing, neither do tales of what might have happened in year's past.  (Last year the ships were at 30% capacity; they are sailing full now).  Just sayin....

2 hours ago, BDL said:

Last year on our first MSC cruise our butler brought me a plastic cup of distilled water daily.  I brought my own extension cord.  Next week I will again bring my own extension cord but I'm not dragging a gallon of water with me.  I will request the water as soon as we are on board. 

Same for us!  We were recently in YC on Meraviglia.  We got the same message back prior to the cruise.  I always carry an extension cord, and I've always gotten distilled water.  You can ignore the message, but you will likely have to remind your butler or junior butler.  Overall, we had no problem, but always with MSC, YMVV!

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 10:26 AM, JAGR said:

Same for us!  We were recently in YC on Meraviglia.  We got the same message back prior to the cruise.  I always carry an extension cord, and I've always gotten distilled water.  You can ignore the message, but you will likely have to remind your butler or junior butler.  Overall, we had no problem, but always with MSC, YMVV!

It's our first MSC. I will have DH pack an extension cord...we will not worry about the distilled water. I don't mind if we don't get a gallon, it always seems like a waste. We will ask our Butler when we board.  Thank you!  I appreciate it! Any advice for an MSC newbie?

I have had the same experience with MSC, so I bring my own extension cord everywhere, as previously and post cruise hotels may not have a socket near the bed.

However, can anyone explain to me why bottled water or ship water, which I believe is distilled or at least purified, will not do? I am genuinely interested in the difference if it is bad for the (a) user or (b) the machine. TIA 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CruiseIreland said:

I have had the same experience with MSC, so I bring my own extension cord everywhere, as previously and post cruise hotels may not have a socket near the bed.

However, can anyone explain to me why bottled water or ship water, which I believe is distilled or at least purified, will not do? I am genuinely interested in the difference if it is bad for the (a) user or (b) the machine. TIA 

Purified or bottled water contains minerals that are fine to drink but can create buildup in the machine water chamber.  If I am forced to use bottled water I just clean the chamber every couple of days. 

I also bring an extension cord with me when I travel.  

• Like 2

I put in a request for the water. I bring my own cord. If the water don't come through, I'll just use the tap water. The reservoir is removable on my machine, so no problem cleaning it. Just one of those things, I'm not too worried about.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 11:42 AM, Boozy O Croozy said:

I bring my own extension cord. Last week our butler provided me with one 16oz bottle of bottled water with a “distilled water” label stuck on it. 🤣🤣🤣

When it ran out he gave me another.

Was it actually distilled?

On 5/8/2023 at 7:08 PM, CruiseIreland said:

It can be bad for the user too. The water in the CPAP goes into your lungs, where your immune system is not as strong as your digestive system. So even if the water is safe for drinking, it's less safe to inhale.

It's the same reason eye drops and eye washes require even cleaner/more sterile liquid.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Just off the Orchestra (no YC).
was told that distilled water had to be requested through Medical. I called Medical and was told they could provide a gallon for $25 US.😵‍💫 

We filled out the form. That charge is insane, even for Europe

Someone who had a sinus condition requiring daily irrigation would be in trouble with no distilled water available. In that case, the distilled water isn't to protect a machine, but is needed to protect areas close to the brain from bacteria. As others have noted, what is sufficiently bacteria free to pass through your digestive tract is a way, way lower standard than water that will be in close contact with your brain.