Confused….

patterson3

I’m not sure if I caught a really lucky break or if I just missed getting screw*d…..

so my wife and I booked a cruise on the Ascent and since we booked have decided to take our son along, so last night I called Celebrity and was told that they couldn’t just add him to the existing booking, that all 3 of us would get charged the current rate (which would result in an increase of nearly $1,500). The one plus is we would also get an additional $350 of OBC as part of the current Celebrity sail. So, I didn’t pull the trigger but last night I thought about it for a bit and considering the price of our cruise has gone up nearly $400/pp since we booked in March, we’re probably best adding him now and taking a $1,500 hit vs a potentially much larger hit later. So this morning I called and was going to add my son and Pat the additional deposit and bite the bullet, but was pleasantly surprised when the agent I spoke to this morning said that our rates wouldn’t change, our price is locked in and we only have to pay the current 3rd guest rate to add our son, which is an increase of just under $700. I couldn’t believe it but am obviously extremely happy. I have no idea which agent was right…..but we have the updated reservation summary and invoice stating our rates and they are just as she said they’d be….

• Like 10

1 hour ago, patterson3 said:

I’m not sure if I caught a really lucky break or if I just missed getting screw*d…..

Maybe both!!  😃

Congrats and have a great cruise!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, patterson3 said:

so my wife and I booked a cruise on the Ascent and since we booked have decided to take our son along, so last night I called Celebrity and was told that they couldn’t just add him to the existing booking, that all 3 of us would get charged the current rate (which would result in an increase of nearly $1,500). The one plus is we would also get an additional $350 of OBC as part of the current Celebrity sail. So, I didn’t pull the trigger but last night I thought about it for a bit and considering the price of our cruise has gone up nearly $400/pp since we booked in March, we’re probably best adding him now and taking a $1,500 hit vs a potentially much larger hit later. So this morning I called and was going to add my son and Pat the additional deposit and bite the bullet, but was pleasantly surprised when the agent I spoke to this morning said that our rates wouldn’t change, our price is locked in and we only have to pay the current 3rd guest rate to add our son, which is an increase of just under $700. I couldn’t believe it but am obviously extremely happy. I have no idea which agent was right…..but we have the updated reservation summary and invoice stating our rates and they are just as she said they’d be….

Luckily, the second agent you got had the right answer. The 3rd person is added at the prevailing 3rd passenger rate with no change to the first two passenger rates. The first two passengers are only re-fared when the cabin category needs to change as a result of adding another passenger. An example would be trying to add a 3rd person to a gaurantee stateroom booking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, patterson3 said:

Another fine example of the Hang Up and Call Again (HUCA) strategy when you are not getting what you want from a customer service rep.

BTW, my understanding is that when you add a 3rd to an existing booking it does not trigger a repricing of 1st/2nd passenger fare.  The 3rd person does get the prevailing rate.  I have not had any personal experience with it, but that is my understanding. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Another fine example of the Hang Up and Call Again (HUCA) strategy when you are not getting what you want from a customer service rep.

BTW, my understanding is that when you add a 3rd to an existing booking it does not trigger a repricing of 1st/2nd passenger fare.  The 3rd person does get the prevailing rate.  I have not had any personal experience with it, but that is my understanding. 

What’s the correct answer if you’ve booked the cabin as a single and then add a 2nd passenger at a later date, is it just the extra taxes to pay? TIA.

3 hours ago, villauk said:

What’s the correct answer if you’ve booked the cabin as a single and then add a 2nd passenger at a later date, is it just the extra taxes to pay? TIA.

I didn't know for sure, but I would guess that the single supplement charge is dropped and the second passenger is added at the prevailing cruise fare rate. 

• Thanks 1