18-year-old - Beer/Wine with parental consent - Have to pay??

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I still think you'd need to have evidence of this, and I'm not sure how to do that without potentially endangering yourself with a confrontation. But I trust your word, if the cruise lines have a way of figuring out who's cheating, they absolutely should make them face the consequences. In the grand scheme of things, and by no means does this make it alright (it doesn't), but for anybody who's giving free drinks to those who didn't pay, there are people like my wife who drinks very little, even though we both have the package. So in terms of revenue collected vs drinks dispensed, I bet NCL still comes out very much ahead.

I would expect, following an allegation, that the manager or a nominated employee would keep a close eye on the passenger, I'm sure it would not be long until they dropped themselves in it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I still think you'd need to have evidence of this, and I'm not sure how to do that without potentially endangering yourself with a confrontation. 

3 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I would expect, following an allegation, that the manager or a nominated employee would keep a close eye on the passenger, I'm sure it would not be long until they dropped themselves in it.

Exactly.  

13 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Unless someone told the individual to be careful and then he stopped. 😉 I think the moral of the story here is "don't cheat and you won't need to worry about being caught." 😁

Edited by DCGuy64

49 minutes ago, HxFx said:

If I order a bottle of wine from the plus package with dinner, is the 18-20 year old (or anyone for that matter) allowed to partake with me?

Guests with you can drink from the bottle.  The waiter will ask how many glasses you would like.  As for 18-20 year olds, I am not sure if it it will be questioned if you signed the waiver for them. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

This is just my perspective, but as I see it, the OP is just wondering how to get around an unintentional loophole where someone between the ages of 18-21 can be served alcohol without being required to pay each drink separately. If a person is under 18, no alcohol, period. If someone is 21 or older, that person can get the UBP and get pretty much any alcoholic drink, no problem. But then there are those who fall between the cracks, i.e. 18, 19 and 20 year olds, who CAN'T take advantage of the UBP and who can only be served beer and wine. I don't see this as someone skirting the rules, but who, through no fault of their own, are being denied something due to NCL's rules. To me, that's quite different from the person who buys drinks for others because they're either underage or just too cheap to buy their own. Anyway, just wanted to offer my opinion before the moderators shut this thread down due to the personal attacks, LOL.

So because there isn't a "free" package that suits the 18-20yo crowd there should be a loophole to get around it?  Not everyone can drink alcohol for various reasons but there isn't a "free" soda package for adults either.  I'm actually allergic to wine but NCL will not let me substitute a soda package for the FAS drink package - I'd be more than happy to pay the gratuities on the package but nope, I have to pay for the package (plus gratuities) or just pay as I go along.

11 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

Since there is no need for parental permission, the under 21 guest gets the package included if accepted at booking.  

I'm not sure that is always the case. At least, it wasn't for us. We're on a Baltic this summer, and when we booked - it showed the soda package for my daughter (2nd passenger in the room with me). Maybe b/c she wasn't yet 18 when we booked? Of course, we had to put her birth date to book, but maybe the system is not sophisticated enough to distinguish age at booking vs. age at sailing.