Alaska B2B in Ruby Princess May 7-27 - Semi Live

cruzin4us

On 5/14/2023 at 7:32 PM, kelkel2 said:

I’m really enjoying your review. And you’re making me really want to try an Alaskan cruise. Do you have any excursions booked? I know Alaskan excursions can be $$$ and we’re not big organized tour people. I always wondered if we could have fun in Alaska just wandering around on our own.  

The towns in AK are easy to wander through. Lots of nature and scenic vistas. @kelkel2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

great minds think alike!!!  i've been wondering what happened to her!

hopefully she is well and busy enjoying and the internet is slow so it's not posting??

anyway she's back in SF today for round 2 of her 10 days 

I am hoping it’s just slow internet! 

• Like 1

i’m onboard and concerned since slow internet doesn’t seem to be a problem. We did turn back to SF after sailaway last night to disembark a passenger in critical condition, heightening worry, but she may be simply having a grand time.

In the meantime, I’ll offer an assist.

I forgot to take my phone last night so I’ll have to post last night’s dinner later. Today, we did lunch in the DaVinci dining room. While seating was chaotic and service had some lag, I chalked it up to a full ship. 

I started with the grilled vegetable and cured meat appetizer. While it packed quite the garlic punch, it was lovely and balanced but a little oily. 

I followed with the meat tortellini in veal jus with sage butter. The tortellini didn’t feel house made but it was prepared perfectly (not over cooked) and the surprise was the fried micro sage on top.

Also, we have a cookie review! Chocolate chip cookies are available from the app and International Cafe… and likely the buffet. The IC cookies are warm but are so desiccated from sitting in the heat, I don’t recommend them. The  app cookies were soft and yummy but not warm. 

Mist cruisers seem to be first-timers with princess and are being ping-ponged around the ship with free giveaways so we are avoiding the crowds by zigging while they zag.

IMG_4549.jpeg

IMG_4550.jpeg

IMG_4553.jpeg

• Like 10

I agree with Frankie.  We have a bit more time before we board the Ruby (79 days).  But we are enjoying any info we can get. The Ruby was our favorite Princess ship pre-covid.  Hoping it will remain so. 

Cheers.

3 hours ago, CruiseCrabs said:

i’m onboard and concerned since slow internet doesn’t seem to be a problem. We did turn back to SF after sailaway last night to disembark a passenger in critical condition, heightening worry, but she may be simply having a grand time.

In the meantime, I’ll offer an assist.

I forgot to take my phone last night so I’ll have to post last night’s dinner later. Today, we did lunch in the DaVinci dining room. While seating was chaotic and service had some lag, I chalked it up to a full ship. 

I started with the grilled vegetable and cured meat appetizer. While it packed quite the garlic punch, it was lovely and balanced but a little oily. 

I followed with the meat tortellini in veal jus with sage butter. The tortellini didn’t feel house made but it was prepared perfectly (not over cooked) and the surprise was the fried micro sage on top.

Also, we have a cookie review! Chocolate chip cookies are available from the app and International Cafe… and likely the buffet. The IC cookies are warm but are so desiccated from sitting in the heat, I don’t recommend them. The  app cookies were soft and yummy but not warm. 

Mist cruisers seem to be first-timers with princess and are being ping-ponged around the ship with free giveaways so we are avoiding the crowds by zigging while they zag.

IMG_4549.jpeg

IMG_4550.jpeg

IMG_4553.jpeg

Well I hope whoever was taken off the ship receives the care they need and makes a speedy recovery! I hope @cruzin4us is well.  Maybe she lost her phone or something like that.  IDK.  

Appreciate the additional reviews and pics of food! Those cookies are making me hungry!

• Like 1

Tonight was an interesting dinner. We stopped by the Platinum/Elite lounge for a nibble and a sip and were grateful for it. The lounge had pasta salad, crudités, cheese, bruchettta, samosas, and various accompaniments available for gusts and the fresh mint martini was excellent.

Dinner, however, was not ideal. Our reservation was moved to the Botticelli dining room for one night (surprise) and the offerings weren’t super compelling.

My husband went with the run soup, which he enjoyed and the stroganoff that wasn’t anything to write home bout.

I did the clam chowder that was really odd, thin, and filled more with bacon than viable clams. The clams I did find may have been canned because they were so over cooked that they were mealy. My mai was the steamed clams and shrimp. i didn’t get a picture but I revived seven clams and a handful of bay shrimp in a clear, flavorless broth with a garlicky crouton. The clams were sandy (ew) and the broth had less flavor than anything I have ever tried onboard. We wrapped with the blueberry cobbler with vanilla gelato again. It’s a nice mix of acid/astringent to cut the sweet of the gelato.

Word to the wise, it’s a great night to plan for specialty dining. Nothing that was coming out oooked great.

Due to the aforementioned med emergency, out schedule is in a new order. We hit Endicott Arm tomorrow and have Crown Grill reservations for later in the evening once we defrost. We are already seeing seals and orca off the back of the ship so we are excited for the adventure ahead.

IMG_4566.png

IMG_4565.png

IMG_4564.jpeg

On 5/14/2023 at 7:32 PM, kelkel2 said:

I’m really enjoying your review. And you’re making me really want to try an Alaskan cruise. Do you have any excursions booked? I know Alaskan excursions can be $$$ and we’re not big organized tour people. I always wondered if we could have fun in Alaska just wandering around on our own.  

I didn't do any organized excursions.  I was just happy meandering in town and just being in Alaska.    We have booked excursions in the past, but sometimes the weather isn't real cooperative in Alaska, and it it's cold/raining/snowing, I don't want to go on a dog sled ride 😉.    

Ketchikan is a great little town to walk around in, especially if you go in July when the salmon are going up the creek.  There is a Lumberjack show that is right off the ship and would be an easy one if you looking for something fun.   

I'm not going to lie, the excursions are costly in Alaska, and sometimes they are cancelled do to bad weather or being late to port (such as we are this cruise).   I'm just as happy taking in the scenery as anything else.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I didn't do any organized excursions.  I was just happy meandering in town and just being in Alaska.    We have booked excursions in the past, but sometimes the weather isn't real cooperative in Alaska, and it it's cold/raining/snowing, I don't want to go on a dog sled ride 😉.    

Ketchikan is a great little town to walk around in, especially if you go in July when the salmon are going up the creek.  There is a Lumberjack show that is right off the ship and would be an easy one if you looking for something fun.   

I'm not going to lie, the excursions are costly in Alaska, and sometimes they are cancelled do to bad weather or being late to port (such as we are this cruise).   I'm just as happy taking in the scenery as anything else.

Hi! Where have you been? You had all of us worried! Scroll up. 😁 Glad you're okay! 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

ummm.... welcome back. you've been missed and we've been worried.

• Like 3

Ketchikan - Kind of drizzled on and off all day, but I still got off the ship and wandered around a bit.  Went up Creek street which is a nice easy walk.  
stoped and had some expensive fish and chips which were ok, nothing special.  They included salmon, halibut and cod.   

Check out the prices of the 🦀 legs.  I passed.   

IMG_2601.jpeg

IMG_2600.jpeg

IMG_2599.jpeg

IMG_2598.jpeg

IMG_2597.jpeg

IMG_2596.jpeg

IMG_2593.jpeg

IMG_2594.jpeg

IMG_2595.jpeg

IMG_2591.jpeg

IMG_2590.jpeg

IMG_2589.jpeg

IMG_2587.jpeg

IMG_2586.jpeg

IMG_2585.jpeg

IMG_2584.jpeg

IMG_2582.jpeg

IMG_2581.jpeg

IMG_2583.jpeg

IMG_2579.jpeg

• Like 4

Ruby Princess - Prince Rupert, Canada - Day 8
French onion soup - This item is on the menu every night. I try to get it once a cruise. I’m not quite sure what was missing, but I think the beef broth was a little on the weak side. The cheese was good. Don’t get me wrong, I liked it but it was just missing something.
Vegetable Biryani - sticking with Indian food when available. They are consistently good. This one didn’t disappoint. It was very spicy however, if you order this, be prepared 😁
I loved it! When I order a 7 out of 10 and at home, this is how it comes. It packs a punch
Beer-Battered Cod Fish & Chips - my fingers were crossed that this would come out hot and crispy —- OMG, I wanted to like this so badly but it was horrible. The fish was so overcooked and there was so much breading/oil. The picture is of the 2 cut up pieces, the fish could barely be found. It was greasy. Wasn’t a fan.
NY cheesecake - It was good but it was swerved closer to room temp instead of cold. I find all cheesecakes are served this way.
The Star of the show was the Vegetable Biryana.
Dinner felt really slow tonight. Waited a long time between courses. Dining time 1 hr 40 minIMG_2636.thumb.png.c7b182be65482893dff8db2acfed735e.png

IMG_2679.jpeg

IMG_2635.png

IMG_2637.png

IMG_2669.jpeg

IMG_2670.jpeg

IMG_2671.jpeg

IMG_2672.jpeg

IMG_2673.jpeg

IMG_2674.jpeg

IMG_2675.jpeg

• Like 3

I don’t regularly eat at the buffet, but today I wanted to grab a quick snack.  Here are some of items offered

I’m still not a buffet fan because I hate elbowing in to get something to eat.  Regardless, here are some pictures 

IMG_2643.jpeg

IMG_2646.jpeg

IMG_2649.jpeg

IMG_2648.jpeg

IMG_2647.jpeg

IMG_2652.jpeg

IMG_2651.jpeg

IMG_2650.jpeg

IMG_2655.jpeg

IMG_2654.jpeg

IMG_2653.jpeg

IMG_2658.jpeg

IMG_2657.jpeg

IMG_2656.jpeg

IMG_2661.jpeg

IMG_2660.jpeg

IMG_2659.jpeg

IMG_2664.jpeg

IMG_2663.jpeg

IMG_2662.jpeg

IMG_2645.jpeg

IMG_2644.jpeg

IMG_2642.jpeg

IMG_2641.jpeg

IMG_2640.jpeg

IMG_2638.jpeg

IMG_2639.jpeg

• Like 4

Ruby Princess - Alaska - Day 8 — Formal Night
Today started out nice & sunny but now we are in a fog bank and the fog horn is going off.
I hung around with some newly made friends and we told jokes and laughed. I’m going to miss them next week. They are all starting to pack and it’s soon coming to the bittersweet goodbyes.
Tonight was formal night. Before you all ask, people were dressed in smart casual to full on dance gowns & tuxes.
Escargot - or snails as my kids call them. Cooked in a garlic butter which you have to dip your bread into. It’s required. The first escargot I had was on a cruise ship in 1979, so this is a sentimental dish for me. The individual escargot were large and it they arrived super hot. I’ll can finally say these were better than on the Diamond. pic 1 Ruby, pic 2 Diamond.  I wished they were a tad bit more garlicky but that’s a personal preference. 
Seared duck Breast - I’ve never tried the duck breast so I went out on a limb and tried it. It was pretty good, but it wasn’t hot. I liked the cherry sauce and wished it came with a bit more sauce. The green snow peas were way over cooked and mushy but the duck was good
Lobster - This was a no brainer, it’s the night everyone waits for: Lobster night. I love lobster and I’m a lobster snob. Not going to lie, I love Maine lobster and always have to tell myself this isn’t Maine lobster so quit trying to compare it. Kinda like comparing salmon roe to caviar.
The lobster did taste sweet, was tender and didn’t like boiling salt water. I wish they would serve it with drawn butter instead of the buttery looking stuff that was on it.   It might’ve been Hollandaise.  Overall it was very good and cooked perfectly. Medallion was cooked exactly like I asked for (med. rare)
Warm Alaskan Blueberry Cobbler - didn’t need it but I Ordered it. It arrived warm and it was good. Not overly large which was nice. Sometimes I’ve ordered blueberry cobbler and it comes in a crème brûlée dish. This one came in a ramekin so the berries didn’t dry out. It was good
Dining time 1 hr 15 min

IMG_2677.jpeg

IMG_2678.jpeg

IMG_2679.jpeg

IMG_2680.jpeg

IMG_2681.jpeg

IMG_2683.jpeg

IMG_2684.jpeg

IMG_2685.jpeg

IMG_2686.jpeg

IMG_2687.jpeg

IMG_2688.jpeg

• Like 5

Ruby Princess - Alaska - Farewell Dinner

Well, it’s always sad when a cruise comes to an end. I’ve met a slew of nice people but I’m fortunate to get to start up again tomorrow. Probably will post a little bit next week but I’m cutting way back on my food intake. It’s real easy to over indulge on breads, butter, cocktails and desserts.

It’s been a fun cruise and a relaxing trip.
There was a couple of items I was just too full to order. The lamb shank and prime rib are always favorites but I just couldn’t do it.
Saw a couple of porpoises jumping while at dinner but the were too far out to get a picture.

Packed up all my stuff because I need to change rooms for the next cruise. My room steward will move everything tomorrow so it’s easy.

Watermelon with Feta Cheese - comes on a bed of lettuce with a few pepitas it was good but it would have been better if it was colder. In the past it was served in a smaller cocktail glass if I remember correctly (may be mistaken)

Alaskan Cocktail - had scallops, cod and shrimp - it was served close to room temperature so I didn’t care for it. It should have been chilled. I personally don’t trust seafood that is room temp. They tried to use the cod to mimic the appearance crab (it didn’t work)

Grilled Marinated Portobello Mushroom - ok, this was downright weird. I expected Grilled Portobello Mushroom stuffed with apples, butternut squash, cream and almonds. What I got was mushrooms chopped up, mixed with everything and shaped into a portobello sized blob on the plate. Tasted kinda like my Thanksgiving stuffing I make. It was very heavy on the rosemary. Wouldn’t order again. Grilled portobello mushrooms are pretty hard to screw up, but they managed somehow.

Crackling Pork Belly - you either love or hate pork belly because it is fatty, but that’s what makes it tasty good 😊. The outer skin was crackled. The savoy cabbage was the consistency of sauerkraut without the sour. It was dreadfully overcooked. The rice was not sticky. Didn’t hate it, but didn’t love it either
IMG_2702.thumb.jpeg.68459a2f128415405d9afc1e608d76a1.jpeg
Apple Pie - ooey gooey apple pie. Crust not cooked and was mushy. Lots of filler used and less apples. Get the crème brûlée instead.

IMG_2700.jpeg

IMG_2703.jpeg

IMG_2704.jpeg

IMG_2705.jpeg

IMG_2707.jpeg

IMG_2708.jpeg

IMG_2709.jpeg

IMG_2710.jpeg

IMG_2711.jpeg

IMG_2712.jpeg

IMG_2713.jpeg

• Like 5

After my first cruise was over, they had all the Guests who were on B2B's (also called In Transit" meet in the Wheelhouse bar until all other passengers had gotten off the ship.   For some reason they couldn't find a couple of people so it took longer than normal to get us off the ship so we could turn around and walk right back on after getting out faces electronically scanned at the customs check-out.

It's a pretty painless ordeal all in all.

After re-boarding I was able to go to my new room around 1:00.   Everything had been moved to my new room D215 (forward) which is another mini suite.    I unpacked and sprawled out on the bed and fell asleep until we just passing under the Golden Gate Bridge.   I threw open my curtains, and was about to set outside when I saw a Pelican asleep on my deck.   Scared the bejeezus out of me.   So, I stayed in my room with the door shut.

The next morning I opened the curtain to find a dead pelican sprawled out on my balcony.   That also scared me.   I'm guessing he was sick?    Anyway, I called the front desk and I said "I'll bet you never had this call before.....but I have a dead pelican on my balcony'....the woman replied "what did you say?"   I said "I have a dead pelican on my deck".   I think she heard "dead and man" or something cuz she let out a sigh of relief.    So, men in environmental hazmat suites arrived to dispose of the pelican.

347584946_1200290207344520_1412658648700765722_n.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2