Non-Religious Patmos Options?

CruisinKikster

I'm not really into visiting religious sites, and it seems that's all there is in Patmos. I'm thinking this might be our "optional" port where if we are tired and want to hang, we just stay on board. But I'd like to have some ideas that aren't centered on religious sites in case we do want to get off board. 

Also curious is this is a tender or a docked port? 

I'm on a cruise that will call in Patmos in October. The shore excursions offered include the Cave and Monastery associated with St. John; however, there is one that also talks about the scenic, beautiful old stone windmills of Chora and also a pretty traditional Greek village called Kambos. Those might be worth looking into.

I'm not religious, but I like visiting religious sites because of the history and art....  Anytime I can see ancient transcriptions of Aristotle (in the monastery holdings), it's a good day for me!

• Like 1

Chora is a lovely town with some old houses you can visit in addition to the windmills.

It is dwarfed by the monastery, making for some dramatic pictures. 

Skala, where you tender, has a lot of alleyways with shops and restaurants. 

There are also very good beaches in the island. 

It is really worth getting off the ship to visit Patmos.  And reconsider visiting the monastery. It is a fortress with striking architecture.  Some tours include Chora and the monastery, which means a shorter visit to the monastery.

Edited by marazul

12 hours ago, marazul said:

Chora is a lovely town with some old houses you can visit in addition to the windmills.

It is dwarfed by the monastery, making for some dramatic pictures. 

Skala, where you tender, has a lot of alleyways with shops and restaurants. 

There are also very good beaches in the island. 

It is really worth getting off the ship to visit Patmos.  And reconsider visiting the monastery. It is a fortress with striking architecture.  Some tours include Chora and the monastery, which means a shorter visit to the monastery.

I think we'll get enough of the religious sites in other places, so I really need to mix things up with other types of shore visits. 

I like the idea of a small town with shops and maybe making a beach day of it. Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...

This post caught my eye as I was noticing the same thing. I tried to look for bike rentals to make our way to the windmills in Chora, but it seems the one agency who replied to me is already booked up (this was 3 months in advance). Are taxi's readily available? Thought we might catch a ride there and then walk back (we do a lot of hiking). Would that work?

• Like 1