Tahiti Wifi Experience?

SailingHigher

I continue to read about unsatisfactory wifi on Wind Spirit and other Windstar ships. Do you have direct experience using a service such as Tahiti Wifi as an alternative? Renting a wifi hotspot for the week sounds like it could be a more reliable and affordable alternative to the onboard system. I would love to hear more from Tahiti cruisers about what they feel is the best option. Thanks in advance.

In 2019, We booked and picked up Tahiti Wi-Fi at the airport upon arrival. Service was inconsistent. Sadly, our room location on Wind Spirit (midship?) seemed to block the signal. If I went up to the lounge or elsewhere on the ship it was more reliable. 
We met others who were using ship Wi-Fi and they also were in the lounge trying to get a stronger signal  (trying to close on a house sale!) 

We had better luck with free Wi-Fi on the islands ( when available)  and perfect Wi-Fi during our stay at the  Conrad in Bora Bora.  Out of our ten days on board I’d say we had decent service half the time on board with Tahiti Wi-Fi and most of the time off the ship.  We definitely had better service than those using ship Wi-Fi. 

• Like 1

I recommend you check with Windstar head office on this, But they have just added StarLink internet service to the Star Legend. The quality is a noticeable upgrade. Give HQ a call and see if The Windspirit is going to get the same upgrade. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Recently came off the Wind Spirit.  The Captain joked about the bad internet on the ship, so I suppose this is not fixed.  I did not use ship WiFi.  I used the Tahiti-WiFi unit someone mentioned above.  It worked well for me, with the expected exception that when well off any island the signal dropped.  For example, when sailing between Bora Bora and Huahine.  The device was convenient and carried it on excursions and had wifi just about everywhere.

Edited by fravenstore
  • Like 1