Nerd Alert: Starlink on the Cloud ​ 😁

rclarky

Change channels now if tech talk offends.

FYI - As the internet on the Cloud (Red Sea) seemed nice and fast, and WhatsApp calls seemed to have a lot less 'delay', I decided to confirm if the Cloud was using Elon Musk's Starlink.

Yep! (Apologies if this is 'old news')

Geostationary satellite links have ping times around 700ms (varies). See below. I was getting 96ms.

And the traceroute confimed packets flowing through a router with starlink in its DNS name.

image.thumb.png.93c4700ea72003e867896f77e482c49f.png

• Thanks 1

Yes, and as Starlink keeps launching new satellites with laser-interface capability Starlink speeds should become more uniform in most parts of the globe.  [Let's just hope that Elon keeps his focus on Starlink and doesn't go off chasing the next squirrel in his peripheral vision...]

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes, and as Starlink keeps launching new satellites with laser-interface capability Starlink speeds should become more uniform in most parts of the globe.

That would certainly be nice.  A TA (our next voyage) is kind of a 'dark' experience right now when it comes to Starlink.  Hard to find those ground stations in the middle of the Atlantic. 😉

1 hour ago, canderson said:

That would certainly be nice.  A TA (our next voyage) is kind of a 'dark' experience right now when it comes to Starlink.  Hard to find those ground stations in the middle of the Atlantic. 😉

Right – that's what the laser links on the new generation of Starlink satellites are for.  Kind of like a 'mesh network,' only scaled up from your home to the Atlantic Ocean [or so I'm told]

Current times of a test in the North Pacific on way to Kodiak Island.

image.thumb.png.448fa4be568409660899eea5f00c93b2.png

What I have noticed, is getting on cc is nigh impossible to log in without using a VPN. It’s noticeable other apps are the same.

As this is titled a nerdy thread, anyone able to recommend an eSim that will work in Kodiak and mainland Alaska?

With Alaskas remoteness I’m unsure if it will be of benefit to buy a 5 day sim or not. No point if the network isn’t included and I’ve no idea what it might be. The one I got for Japan for $25 for 12 days unlimited data was well worth it.

I'm on the Cloud right now.  The wifi was very iffy when we joined in Muscat.  Cruise Critic was so tricky to access I thought they had blocked it.  But it cleared up and for two weeks now it has been excellent, perhaps the best we have experienced. My only niggle is that I cannot access the photo site Flickr which is for some reason blocked.  

• Thanks 1

Fletcher:

I am uploading photos @ 2~3Mbps to my Flickr acct from my phone as we speak.

Checked from laptop/chrome. Also can login to my Flickr.

Rob

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Right – that's what the laser links on the new generation of Starlink satellites are for.  Kind of like a 'mesh network,' only scaled up from your home to the Atlantic Ocean [or so I'm told]

You're told correctly.  Problem is that it's going to be a while before the first generation that didn't incorporate that feature aren't leaving the odd holes in coverage, though that shouldn't be too bad of a hit.  They maintain a usable orbit for ~5 years.

Came out of retirement 2-1/2 years ago in part to support the upgrade of our GEODSS network - the optical side of US space situational awareness.  Might prove to be an interesting Google for the 'nerdy' types here.  This gives a good overview of the larger system:

https://www.spacebasedelta1.spaceforce.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/3103121/15th-space-surveillance-squadron/

Take the "Deep Space" part of the GEODSS acronym with a grain of salt.  If an object is not within an Earth or cislunar orbit, it's not on the menu.

6 hours ago, rclarky said:

Fletcher:

I am uploading photos @ 2~3Mbps to my Flickr acct from my phone as we speak.

Checked from laptop/chrome. Also can login to my Flickr.

Rob

I think I'll stay Locked out of Flickr as my photos are all RAW and very 'heavy.'  Enjoy the canal tomorrow!