Should I be concerned about jellyfish while snorkeling in Bermuda?

NJRonbo

First time in Bermuda.  First time attempting to snorkel as part of a local jet ski package.

All is fun and games until you get stung.

Should I be concerned about snorkeling and jellyfish when in Bermuda this June?

If so, I'll cancel the snorkeling part of the package.

Thanks

1 hour ago, NJRonbo said:

Not any more or less than you would at say the Jersey Shore. They certainly exist there but sort of come in and out in waves. We've been there numerous times and have had zero jellyfish and have been there and there were so many Portuguese man o'war in the water that you couldn't swim. 

There is no way to predict them but June the water is still cool enough that it's not a usual occurrence. We've always had more issues (and again, not often) later in the season in August/Sept when the water is warmer. 

First time in Bermuda.  First time attempting to snorkel as part of a local jet ski package.

All is fun and games until you get stung.

Thanks

We were in Bermuda last summer, June 26th sailing of NCL Joy, and we visited Horseshoe Bay as we always do. I'm going to say it was June 29th or 30th.

There were signs up as we entered warning us about the Portuguese man o'war and you could see them in the water and I saw a couple of dead ones on the beach itself.

It got so bad, that they closed off going in the water after a couple of hours and we heard that there was upwards of 100 people who were stung just that day.

With that being said, we've visited Bermuda many times and never had that happen before and I believe last year was an outlier and not the norm.

We're going back in July and I hope it's not a year where these jellyfish take over again.

Thanks to both of you for the response.

I am going to call the company doing the excursion (BDA Watersports) and get their opinion.

Yes, you would think that they are not going to admit jellyfish exist, but if I put it in terms that this could be a medical issue if stung, I think they will be honest with me.  I'm still going to do the first half of their tour (jet ski) in any event.

Thanks to both of you for the response.

I am going to call the company doing the excursion (BDA Watersports) and get their opinion.

Yes, you would think that they are not going to admit jellyfish exist, but if I put it in terms that this could be a medical issue if stung, I think they will be honest with me.  I'm still going to do the first half of their tour (jet ski) in any event.

Of course they will admit jellyfish exist. The tour leader is not likely to let you snorkel if there are jellyfish or man o war issues. They are known as reliable company. Actual conditions can vary from day to day. I have been to the beach one day and no man o war and the next day there were man o war. Man o war are mistakenly called jelly fish. The wind blows the man o war in. They are a lot easier to spot than jelly fish. you can see clear through jellyfish. They are not as easy to spot. 

The oceans are full of critters. I have seen jellyfish while snorkeling at many islands. We just swam away from them. I have been at beaches and put on my mask and there were schools of jellyfish! Beachgoers without masks were totally unaware. 

• Like 2