Insurance for P&O cruises

honeykidskeptsamesize

I'm a new cruiser who will be cruising from Southhampton to the Caribbean this year with P&O. I've been looking at quotes for travel insurance and am quite shocked at the price with the lowest prices generally starting at £350 and going up to £600+ for 2 people.

This is for single trip insurance. I'm usually quoted very low figures for holidays abroad around £30 per trip so this seems very excessive even for a cruise, as it's only for 16 nights.

Has anyone got any recommendations for good insurance that meets P&O's requirements?

Cruises don't normally generate high premiums, but some insurers don't like them so either won't quote or quote high.

And some other insurers offer different policies for land-based trips and cruises - not necessarily at significantly different premiums but they kinda rule them out for those like ourselves who do both on an annual policy.

So it may be a case of checking around, or consider if there are other differences.............

Are your usual holidays usually in Europe, while the cruise is outside Europe?

Do a dummy quote for a European cruise.

Have you just gone thro' an important birthday - 60 or 65 or 70 etc? If so, try a dummy quote for a land-based trip for the same dates as the cruise. Whilst I was a safe bet for Insure-and-Go the day before my 60th, the next day I was high-risk with 2 or 3 times the previous premium - so I switched. 

One point which I don't think applies in your case.

Some folk worry that insurers, including our own, either won't include (or will levy a surcharge on) "cancellations" on cruise policies. Read that section carefully, those terms refer to compensation for cancelled ports or missed excursions, not to having to cancel the cruise

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

We used Insure & Go , but our cruise is Europe , we already had annual cover , and just added the cruise cover on when we booked , if I recall correctly it was about £180 for the 2 of us ( including the add on for the cruise )

However , I’ve just done a test quote using our details and a trip to Barbados as a guess destination came up with the same price range as you have been quoted 

11 hours ago, honeykidskeptsamesize said:

This is for single trip insurance. I'm usually quoted very low figures for holidays abroad around £30 per trip so this seems very excessive even for a cruise, as it's only for 16 nights.

As you are new to cruising you will not have read the hundreds (Thousands!!) of posts

on this subject.   If under 50 and have no prior medical conditions then  the premiums may be

more in line with  a worldwide land tour.     There are 2 major considerations in addition to age and medical conditions that  account for the increase in premium for a cruise.

One is summed up in this P& O condition in cruise contract

32. It is a condition of the Contract that every Guest must have adequate and appropriate insurance. This must include cover for travel, cancellation and curtailment and full and valid medical cover for pre-existing medical conditions worldwide, or as a minimum, in the countries that the Guest is due to visit and which must remain in force for the entire duration of the Package. The insurance policy(ies) must, as a minimum, include medical and repatriation coverage for not less than £2 million and must include cover for the cost of emergency evacuations from the ship, including but not limited to, evacuations by helicopter. It is the Guest’s responsibility to ensure that adequate and appropriate insurance is in place for the entire duration of the package.

Land tours do not in the main require this

I have always wondered just what the statistics are for  helicopter evacuation??

Second - you have been used to european holidays where  hospital treatment can be

offset somewhat by carrying a   EHIC or now a GHIC   so  insurance is cheaper.

( You should still carry one on a cruise  if cruising transatlantic as you could have an accident

in a European port on the way to other places)

There is also the cost of medical care in the US  and it seems extended to the caribbean,

it has to be paid for and can be very expensive.   

As for ships doctor  I believe they are all on US prices.

We have always used  Annual policies and  these can save  a lot if you cruise  or holiday more than twice  a year.

Something to consider is if your bank does travel ins as part of your account it is

something to look into.   Nationwide is often mentioned as a good policy  I keep thinking

we should try it but its easier to just renew what we have. 

I sometimes mention that if you cruise a lot  even a £1000 premium for 2 pax annual policy

is £ 500 each    two  14 day cruises      £250 each  per cruise 

"Plus packages"  say £50  per person per day @ 28  days  2 people =  £2800!!!!

So maybe the insurance is cheap??

On 5/10/2023 at 10:22 PM, honeykidskeptsamesize said:

I'm usually quoted very low figures for holidays abroad

You're now including two factors that will considerably bump up your insurance. First, is that you're visiting the caribbean which insurers will generally regard as the same as the USA. And second, you're cruising which always seems to carry a premium.

FWIW, we have a string of pre-existing conditions which make getting insurance tricky, as and when we can get anything. Currently with All Clear - with an annual policy including Cruises, but not the USA - cost is £1400.

12 hours ago, Aulanis said:

Nationwide is often mentioned as a good policy  

That's our insurer.

Only available to Nationwide Flexplus account-holders. Very easy account to open, and no problem leaving the account dormant.

A Flexplus account costs £13 per month and includes Worldwide travel insurance (incl cruises) for trips up to 31 days, UK & European vehicle breakdown service, and mobile phone insurance.

Those of us over 70 years old have to pay an annual supplement of £65, so that's a total of £221.

It doesn't cover undeclared previous conditions, though they can be added for an add-on fee.

I've had no experience of making a claim, though a claim on my home insurance for a smashed I-Pad was resolved with minimal effort, a new I-Pad sent.

JB 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

recently added to cruise upgrade to nationwide policy - to include the missed ports cover. Didnt cost a lot and then wife went on Iona shortly after with my son and MIL, 1 missed port so £300 back paid very simply.... so cant complain with them.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a P and O cruise in April.  We had to book through a TA authorized to book those cruises as we are Americans.  We bought the insurance through her.  I do know that P and O lists a company on their website that you can buy insurance from that meets their requirements.