No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Still feel this was a faux pas by one NCL person who misunderstood or misinterpreted  some regulation.  Lord knows, no one at CC is going to let them get away with that.

It's not a matter of getting away with anything. Let's assume your feelings are right. Mistakes happen. How they are ultimately dealt with matters, too. Many have paid hundreds of dollars for a premium plus package and/or service charges. Over the past weeks, hundreds of  passengers have paid for someone else's honest mistake. How is that the customer's problem. PNCL could choose to own the mistake and make it right for its passengers. Once again, it has failed to do so. It's like that lady that had her cruise booking cancelled by NCL a month or two ago when she inadvertently added something to her online cart, didn't pay for it, NCL cancelled her cruise and tried to keep thousands of dollars that she had paid. After going public with her story, NCL finally reversed course and gave her a future cruise credit. They do this all the time. As I said yesterday, we just booked Emerald Princess and are done with NCL for a while. The way NCL treats people is unprecedented. It is not nice to treat people so poorly on a regular basis. We appreciate your patience and understand while we over and again continue to screw with our valued guests hard earned dollars.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Everything @hawkeyetlse listed is a legitimate concern if the logic you're applying to alcohol in port is applied to other areas of NCL's operations. 

Why not shut down the buffet? Folks should get off the ship and sample the fine cuisine of Southamptonoh wait, English food. That's why it's not serious. Gotcha!

Many lines including NCL shut as much as they can on port days.

Recent MSC they kept everything open MDR and speciality.

Seems PCCs have been getting some updated info - at least hopefully.

no more issues in UK ports… we’ll have to keep an eye on upcoming sailings and port visits to confirm but seeing more and more postings saying the same thing 

• Like 3

On 5/14/2023 at 3:07 PM, cmph said:

I'm very glad we declined the package for our June cruise on the Dawn.

On 5/14/2023 at 3:08 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'll bet you five bucks that it is fixed long before then.

I think somebody owes me five bucks.😎

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Don’t count those chickens just yet… if anything has been proven here so far it’s that NCL messaging is all over the place so there’s a high chance it isn’t fixed. 

Dawn is in Belfast tomorrow so we’ll see

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes and apparently all of them neglecting to pay required VAT!

What are you talking about? It's the exact opposite. The bars are all operating and open on all the other lines because they've properly taken steps to do so.. You always want proof, so don't believe me. Just go over to the P&O thread that I gave you yesterday and mentioned again this morning. There are posts from members that are onboard P&O and another from MSC that have had no disruption to bar service. These people aren't lying. Why would they? Please go look at this before you post that other lines are in the same situation. That simply is not a true statement.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

It's certainly possible that other lines operating in the UK without incident paid their customs duty well in advance, maybe they already charge their passengers for that fee as part of the cruise fare, or maybe they charge more in the first place so they can hire lots of people to make sure this is done and there's no interruption in service. I really don't know.

No wait. What do you mean it is "possible"? It's a certainty. Make no mistake, they've paid their duty or whatever you want to call it. Otherwise, they'd be in the same situation. Whether they paid it back office or via surcharges is irrelevant.

Quit with the diplomatic, non-committal theories, already.  They paid it. Their bars are open. There are no complaints on cruisecritic.

NCL didn't. Their bars are closed. We are approaching 900 posts here. Lots of unhappy passengers who paid for something they'll never receive a benefit for. Simple.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Greener123 said:

Seems PCCs have been getting some updated info - at least hopefully.

no more issues in UK ports… we’ll have to keep an eye on upcoming sailings and port visits to confirm but seeing more and more postings saying the same thing 

Good news, tentatively. If past behavior is any indication, NCL will finally come around. They'll have no option. Except for a few on here, people will either start cancelling the beverage packages or removing DSC. Most people aren't going to donate money to NCL for a service that is not being offered.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, insidecabin said:

That would be fine for those that were aware of the issue in advance.

Lack of notification to Star passengers for an issue that had been know about for a week or more from the dawn visit on the 4th.

Similar  thing happened on the Gem last week.  We went to the bar mid cruise and find that only those with packages would be served alcohol.  No prior warning.  No chance to stock up from the land and pay corkage.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greener123 said:

Don’t count those chickens just yet… if anything has been proven here so far it’s that NCL messaging is all over the place so there’s a high chance it isn’t fixed. 

Dawn is in Belfast tomorrow so we’ll see

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I won't see that five bucks regardless. 🤣

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, roxette said:

Most of the major the Cruise Blogs, radios, news and such are dependent on invites from Cruise Lines. So do not count on any bad press. 

Cruisehive.com just posted about it.I couldn’t copy the link.oops now I can.

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-causes-confusion-over-alcohol/101767

Edited by Mommapadraig
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Greener123 said:

5 👍🏻

5 cruise terminals and one of them can service 2 ships if necessary. There are also extra berths for visiting cruise ships.  The record is 7 cruise ships boarding at the same time.  4 or 5 cruise ships a day is not unusual this time of year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mommapadraig said:

Cruisehive.com just posted about it.I couldn’t copy the link.oops now I can.

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-causes-confusion-over-alcohol/101767

Incredible that a large corporation would allow negative publicity to get ahead of it like this without so much of a factual statement 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Incredible that a large corporation would allow negative publicity to get ahead of it like this without so much of a factual statement 

I'm sorry, but, this is typical NCL in my opinion.  My observation is that they are simply awful at communicating with their guests, to the point where it seems they just don't care.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I'm sorry, but, this is typical NCL in my opinion.  My observation is that they are simply awful at communicating with their guests, to the point where it seems they just don't care.

Don't disagree. Just thought when it was clearly going to become a wider Comms issue with websites reporting it that they would cop themselves on!

• Like 1

This an FYI, don’t shoot the messenger, I don’t want in this dog fight, I just want information.  Whew!

I just had an email pop up fromCruise Hive with an article about the alcy-hol sitcheation.  It is an article with a quote from a spokesperson from NCL.  I tried to copy the link, but I’m not tech savvy enough to do that as I’m a natural blonde.  And who knows , the CC folks may not take kindly to that and I really don’t want to be in time out.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Don't disagree. Just thought when it was clearly going to become a wider Comms issue with websites reporting it that they would cop themselves on!

They'll get it fixed now that the negative publicity is coming. They always do. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

This an FYI, don’t shoot the messenger, I don’t want in this dog fight, I just want information.  Whew!

I just had an email pop up fromCruise Hive with an article about the alcy-hol sitcheation.  It is an article with a quote from a spokesperson from NCL.  I tried to copy the link, but I’m not tech savvy enough to do that as I’m a natural blonde.  And who knows , the CC folks may not take kindly to that and I really don’t want to be in time out.

Strange post.

See post 877. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

They'll get it fixed now that the negative publicity is coming. They always do. 

Time will tell. And if it isn't fixed within a week or so the line about "not enough notice" becomes just another lie.

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

On 5/14/2023 at 3:26 PM, cmph said:

We're sailing out of Stockholm - port-intensive Baltic. I'm figuring they will discover a whole new country (or countries) to have issues with for our cruise lol.

@ChiefMateJRK you must not have seen my post that followed yours. NCL has to make it through Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Germany, Poland, and Denmark without any tax/duty/misc snafus LOL. 

• Haha 3

Got an update from my TA after asking specifically about Livorno issues, and to at least make her company aware of the issues with NCL in other ports, she confirmed with her contact at NCL and they’ve advised there are no restrictions at all. Also said that if there were any changes they’d always send out an email in advance… wonder how people on the Dawn/Star/Breakaway/Gem would feel about that statement 😂

clear as mud 🙃

Edited by Greener123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Greener123 said:

Got an update from my TA after asking specifically about Livorno issues, and to at least make her company aware of the issues with NCL in other ports, she confirmed with her contact at NCL and they’ve advised there are no restrictions at all. 

clear as mud 🙃

My TA is so frustrated as all the callcenter folks she speaks to are homeworkers in the Philippines and have no-one else actually with them to ask. So they just say whatever the last email from NCL tells them to say. It's why CC is so important. We get real news from people onboard.

When is the next Southampton sailing??

• Like 2