No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

As the OP I can update what happened when I went to customer services after Belfast.

As we lost 2 days drinks package from 10 days, I requested a 20% drinks package refund.

I was told this was not possible but I could take the value off my service charge, as I always prepay she gave me a form to request this, sad but true, they were more than happy for me to remove all the service charge than refund 20% of the drinks package.

Apparently they had been removing service charges for those who did not prepay all day long.

I won't be using the form but wanted to post the onboard situation.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

As the OP I can update what happened when I went to customer services after Belfast.

As we lost 2 days drinks package from 10 days, I requested a 20% drinks package refund.

I was told this was not possible but I could take the value off my service charge, as I always prepay she gave me a form to request this, sad but true, they were more than happy for me to remove all the service charge than refund 20% of the drinks package.

Apparently they had been removing service charges for those who did not prepay all day long.

I won't be using the form but wanted to post the onboard situation.

Thank you. Useful to know. I prepaid too.

36 minutes ago, SouthamptonCruiseFan said:

You have to give the retailer, NCL, time to respond once you get home and email them your complaint, and you have ti have complained on board too. They have to respond within 28 days but are normally quicker as they have number of standard replies - all of which translate to: thank you for choosing NCL, we sincerely appreciate your business, now go away. Then you can go through ABTA's complaints procedure. Regarding the travel agent it will depend of they are acting as an agent for NCL or as a principle. Would normally be the former, if not your complaint would be against the travel agency. You can also go through trading standards as perhaps "open bar" is a misleading advertising slogan? That can be done through the CAB. Maybe Trading Standards in Southampton might be interested??

If you booked in the UK your booking is with a UK company, not simply Miami. They are supposed to follow UK regs.

Non performance is covered by the package travel regulations.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Norwayfan1 said:

Thank you. Useful to know. I prepaid too.

You can only adjust the service charge on prepaid service charge with the form issued onboard as they have to be given the option to resolve the issue.

I probably won't adjust my service charge now but you need the form for the option 

• Like 2

I would suggest everyone grab screenshots of the FAS/PBP terms/offers on the NCL website and keep them for reference.

in Europe you can certainly raise a case for false advertising when they move the goalposts. 

after dipping in and out of this thread I will be screenshotting every possible description of the various packages and their associated t&cs whenever I next book a non-USA cruise. 
there was none of these shenanigans when I cruised the western med in 2021. 

I was already planning to bring a couple of bottles of bubbly onto the ship for my cruise out of Seattle since they shrank the options available. 

• Like 2

Anyone in the uk who has been effected by this need to contact ABTA to see if they can help or offer  guidance as seen as NCL seem unable or unwilling to help their customers.

NCL are ABTA members, their ABTA NUMBER is - Y2687.

I'd say NCL are certainly violating ABTA'S code of conduct with regards to:

"Accurate information so you can make an informed choice"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Myfanwy60 said:

I am currently on The Star and this is my experience and I am stating fact:

Boarded at 11.30am on 21st to find alcohol was not being served, first drinks were served at 9pm

I was not informed by NCL prior to boarding

I put in a written list of questions to the GM (Tony) with no response.

I have asked 3 times for the written regulations regarding alcohol restrictions in UK ports (to date no response)

I emailed NCL but was told because in onboard I have to speak to guest services and was told there was no escalation procedure, so basically tough luck.

On day 2 I asked if there was going to be an issue in Belfast, again I never got a response.

NCL put out an announcement at 8pm on the night before arriving in Belfast that we would not be served alcohol.

There was also a small paragraph in the daily freestyle, again the night before Belfast and ours was delivered whilst we at dinner.

At no point did NCL clarify the position about bringing drink onboard in Belfast, which we found out after the event was allowed.

After leaving Belfast the bars were still not serving alcohol at 11.30pm, at this point we gave up. I still don’t know what time they eventually fully opened. 

The Dawn has been to Belfast twice whilst I have been onboard and both times they were served alcohol, no one onboard can tell me why?

My issue with this whole debacle is the total lack of information from NCL. 

I do have a case number and will be following this up when I get off the ship.

If your in the uk contact ABTA, NCL are members.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, SakeDad said:

If this is still happening on Prima in July I'll be bringing several bottles of wine in my carry on as well. Then billing NCL the cost! (Wishful thinking)

If it still is an issue this October when we plan to sail on the Dawn I will do the same thing.  Our final payment is due in a couple of weeks.  We currently are set up to prepay the DSC.  If this problem continues, I will remove the service charges from the reservation in favor of paying them once we are on board.  It appears to be an easier process to have the DSC reduced or removed from an on board account than having them refunded once you prepay them.

I understand the reluctance of many posters on this thread to reduce or remove service charges.  Those fees, we are told, go to the workers on board the ship as incentives (sounds like gratuities to me).  I doesn't seem fair to penalize a group of workers who have had nothing to do with the decisions that resulted in NCL not serving alcohol when in or near certain ports.  Nonetheless, my contractual and financial obligations are solely and directly to NCL as a corporate entity, not to each and every one of the employees, vendors, or government entities to which NCL pays for goods or services.  How NCL disburses the funds which we, as passengers, pay to NCL is strictly the province of NCL to administer.  If they choose to pay their employees less or more than seems fair, that is NCL's decision.  If NCL chooses to designate some portion of our payments as being allocated to certain purposes, that also is NCL's prerogative.  I pay them an agreed upon "X" amount of dollars for certain expectations for the cruise.  They spend it as needed or as they see fit.

If NCL promises a certain product or service and then fails to provide it, I feel shortchanged and will seek any lawful avenue available to adjust for the resulting economic disadvantage.  If the only viable way to do this is to reduce or eliminate the Daily Service Charge, then so be it.  NCL has brought this upon themselves.

My wife and I are in an advantageous position as compared to many others who have posted on the thread.  We rarely drink cocktails, beer, or hard liquor.  We do, however, enjoy wine both with our meals and at other times during the day.  The terms of NCL's beverage package allow those with a package to bring bottles of wine on board without charge.  If the current situation continues, we will stop by a store in Southampton and purchase several bottles.  If NCL is not allowed to serve wine from their "cellar" or chooses not to, we simply will drink our own wine.  We then will ask that an appropriate amount be deducted from our DSC to account for the cost of the wine as well as the service charge.

I sincerely hope it does not come to this.  I hope that NCL gets its act together long before October and we can enjoy our cruise as we have enjoyed more than 30 other NCL cruises.  But I will continue to monitor this situation and will prepare accordingly.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

I would suggest everyone grab screenshots of the FAS/PBP terms/offers on the NCL website and keep them for reference.

in Europe you can certainly raise a case for false advertising when they move the goalposts. 

This is a good idea if you are willing to make the time investment. In my opinion, it is a lot easier to just make a pro-rata adjustment of the gratuities for services paid for but not provided. It's a ten minute wait at guest services and a one page form. You'll have the credit on your onboard account before you disembark and the matter is closed. I don't believe the full $20 per day charge in US goes directly to the crew anyway. Every other cruise line can fairly compensate crew at $16.50 per day. For some reason, NCL thinks it needs $20.00 per person per day.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

This is a good idea if you are willing to make the time investment. In my opinion, it is a lot easier to just make a pro-rata adjustment of the gratuities for services paid for but not provided. It's a ten minute wait at guest services and a one page form. You'll have the credit on your onboard account before you disembark and the matter is closed. I don't believe the full $20 per day charge in US goes directly to the crew anyway. Every other cruise line can fairly compensate crew at $16.50 per day. For some reason, NCL thinks it needs $20.00 per person per day.

A couple of UK lines £5pppd.

Some others just include them in the base fare and can be cheaper than NCL before you add the NCL service.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

Anyone in the uk who has been effected by this need to contact ABTA to see if they can help or offer  guidance as seen as NCL seem unable or unwilling to help their customers.

NCL are ABTA members, their ABTA NUMBER is - Y2687.

I'd say NCL are certainly violating ABTA'S code of conduct with regards to:

"Accurate information so you can make an informed choice"

There are a few other violations.

Remember the key guidelines in the code of conduct are backed up with the package travel regulations.

The other thing to remember is ABTA are a trade body and tend to be reluctant to spank their paymasters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

The other thing to remember is ABTA are a trade body and tend to be reluctant to spank their paymasters.

Not entirely true. In late 2022 they fined MSC for not replying to complaints within 28 days. If enough people complain they will take action. But you need to complain to NCL first befire ABTA will accept the complaint.

• Like 3

On 5/19/2023 at 8:35 AM, SakeDad said:

Can't wait to hear if there are any changes. NCL can no longer say "short notice" is the reason for not settling this with Customs/UK Govt

I'm boarding the Star tomorrow so will post if I see alcohol being served or not

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Sailing on the Star out of Southampton on the 31st. Called today about a shore excursion and also asked about the alcohol situation. She told me everything had been resolved. Obviously that's not the case. We aren't big drinkers but I do have the package and expect to be able to use it or get my money back.

4 minutes ago, llgator said:

Sailing on the Star out of Southampton on the 31st. Called today about a shore excursion and also asked about the alcohol situation. She told me everything had been resolved. Obviously that's not the case. We aren't big drinkers but I do have the package and expect to be able to use it or get my money back.

We will know tomorrow. But so far all the sales agents have no clue what's happening onboard and shoreside corporate offices have been lying to everyone while those onboard can't get any response from the officers...which more than likely means they have been getting the runaround from shoreside as well and have the same info we do. Incredibly horrible leadership by NCL CORPORATE

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, llgator said:

Waiting for 7am to roll around when some of the bars open. Either they will be open or there will be a sign. Very curious though, because I'm taking Dawn on the 24th after getting off Star today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bendoestheworld said:

Waiting for 7am to roll around when some of the bars open. Either they will be open or there will be a sign. Very curious though, because I'm taking Dawn on the 24th after getting off Star today.

Let us know. I'll be waiting to hear!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bendoestheworld said:

Buffet bar has the sign ready when asked "no information"

6 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Buffet bar has the sign ready when asked "no information"

On my way off the ship. O'Sheehans told me they were going to serve alcohol. Youre saying they have no information about whether it will be available? I hope they get it worked out cuz I get on the Dawn on the 24th and every one of those ports is pretty much in the UK except Dublin.

• Like 1

As a former crew member I have always found removing service charges abhorrent. But that was for DELIVERED services such as bars, waiters, stewards, etc. This is now service NOT delivered. I believe removing the service fees for those days is now 100% appropriate. Why am I tipping crew that are not delivering or working, especially at the direction of the cruiseline. Enough people have posted that crew and officers are either unwilling or unable to provide accurate information that this now lands on shoreside corporate. And if crew starts seeing their checks affected they will demand it gets fixed. Clearly all of our posts, emails and protests have had zero affect so far. Sorry crew....maybe time you find a line that backs you up instead of throwing you to the sharks.

Edited by SakeDad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bendoestheworld said:

On my way off the ship. O'Sheehans told me they were going to serve alcohol. Youre saying they have no information about whether it will be available? I hope they get it worked out cuz I get on the Dawn on the 24th and every one of those ports is pretty much in the UK except Dublin.

But the last 2 cruises on dawn it's only been Southampton Liverpool and Portland.

The rest unaffected.

Star Southampton and Belfast.