Briksdal Glacier & Loen Skylift in Olden

gjw1989

I believe so... 

I saw a YT video recently where they did the skylift in the morning, back to the ship for lunch and then the glacier in the afternoon. 

When we booked the glacier through P&O, we had a choice of times, so sounds feasible. 

Andy 

I would say no. You would definitely be pushing it.

Which to choose? Very difficult. I think for my first visit I would choose Briksdal. Lots of people will post and tell you the glacier has shrunk and not as good as when they went x no. of years ago. However if you haven't seen a glacier before it is worth it. Another possibility is an excursion going to Loen then along the valley to another glacier. You would not be as close but can see it 

Edited by happy v

I have the 1:30 pm trip to the glacier booked (via P&O), so it sounds like it could be possible to do the morning at the Skylift. 

How much time would you recommend at the top?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BertieRulesOK said:

NB. Both trips are heavily impacted by weather.  On my recent trip, there was no view from the skylight as it was completely cloud covered.  The glacier was also barely visible.

Yes they can be. Someone gave us advice to try and opt for the afternoon trips as any cloud is likely to have lifted by then (obviously not guaranteed, but a better chance of a good view).

4 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Someone gave us advice to try and opt for the afternoon trips as any cloud is likely to have lifted by then

When I was there in April, it did lift, but only in time for sail away.  So luckily we got specular views on the way out of the fjord.  However, there were some grumpy ppl that night on the ship having shelled out £££ for excursions where they could not see a dickybird!  

Its the risk you take surely in Norway re the weather. We have booked for the Skylift and know that it is going to be hit and miss re the weather. Just crossing our fingers ... and toes ... and everything else !!

• Like 1

We booked Briksdal with troll car through Olden Adventures, and some of our group got off the coach straight onto the one for the Loen skylift, so it is definitely doable. Not so sure if you choose to walk to the glacier and back.

• Thanks 1

Just to confirm we also booked both through Olden Adventure. We did the Glacier Walk.

There was plenty of time to do both. When we got back to port after the glacier (at about 1pm) there was a shuttle bus waiting to take take us to the skylift. It was running there and back all afternoon.

We spent about an hour at the top and we were back at the port by 3pm.

I don't book ship excursions that would be spoiled by bad weather. For Bergen, Olden, Tromso, Andalsnes and Narvik I make the decision on the day. Andalsnes and Narvik are new cable cars for me.

• Like 1

We did neither and got on the road train instead

The skyline one - the clouds definitely looked too low in the morning for that one. But obviously that's pot luck. Seemed expensive as well but then others have said how great it is.

We spoke to a couple who were positive about their coach trip to the glacier

If there is a choice I would echo about doing the skyline trip in the afternoon as most days this week the weather improved each afternoon

But again maybe that's pot luck as well

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

I agree that the best time to go up on the skylift is in the afternoon. We got to the top at around 2pm and the clouds were starting to lift. By around 3pm, this is the view we got.

The shuttle bus goes to and from the port throughout the day and it's only a 10 minute drive.

20230523_141624.jpg

• Like 1