How to have parcel delivered to me? (Brits especially take note)

Dr.Dobro

I hope someone here can help me out.

I am on the Zuiderdam en route from Fort Lauderdale to Rotterdam (and additional segments beyond). I neglected to bring half of the two-piece electrical cord for my CPAP machine. My son has retrieved it and will mail it to me. The most logical place to pick it up is Dover.

In the U.S., we have General Delivery. You can send mail to anyone by directing it to John Doe, General Delivery, Podunk, Vermont, for example. I see Royal Mail has a service called Local Collect, but it appears that it can only be used for packages sent by a company that uses the service. Sender provides purchaser's email and phone to Royal Mail, which notifies purchaser when it has arrived at the PO, and you need to show the email or text (along with ID) to collect your package.

I have asked about having the cord shipped to Zuiderdam's port agent in Rotterdam. I did this years ago when I lost a credit card and the company sent a replacement to the port agent in Amsterdam. But I am getting a lot of "Maybe, I don't know" from Guest Services, but a whiteshirt there has promised to contact the agent and ask. So I am waiting for word on that.

Can anyone think of another option? Thanks in advance!

I would think about arranging with a hotel in a convenient port to receive it (perhaps one that is frequented by HAL passengers and CruiseCritic participants) and having it mailed to the hotel for yourself or guest to pickup. 

It might also be possible to purchase a compatible cord in Europe. My guess is what you left is intended to be swapped out so the same device can be plugged into different outlet configurations.

I don't know about general delivery in UK, nor your dates in Dover, but I can offer you a 'Plan B'.  If you want to arrange to DHL/UPS it to me, then I will meet you in Ringaskiddy/Cork when Zuiderdam docks on 23rd May (or even 2nd June if the delivery fails).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One time, I forgot some meds and asked a friend at home to FedEx overnight to the HAL port agent in Barcelona.  When the ship arrived, the port agent met the ship and delivered the small package to guest services on the ship.  I did inform the front desk that it would be coming, and they called my room when it arrived.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

>>>I will meet you in Ringaskiddy/Cork when Zuiderdam docks on 23rd May (or even 2nd June if the delivery fails).<<<<

That is a very kind offer, but I want to make sure you're not putting yourself out too much. Please e-mail me at dr.dobro.2019@gmail.com and let's talk. Thanks!

• Like 2