TSA locks on baggage

jerryb48

I know this isn't a "cruise" question but it has to do with getting to the cruise.

I have heard about TSA locks on baggage for airline travel. I would like to know if anyone who has them have found notes in their luggage saying there bags were open for inspection and you found the lock was put back on the luggage and locked by them.

:confused:

Thanks,

JerryB

Yes, that happens many times. Others have reported (mostly when the TSA locks were new) that the locks had been cut off and/or the zipper pull where the lock was placed had been cut instead. I saw one report where the lock was not put back on, but the paper was in the luggage.

If your TSA lock is cut off or not replaced, or your luggage is damaged/cut when you had a TSA lock on it, I have heard you can request the cost of replacement or repair by writing to the TSA with the date time and location of the loss.

Yep, it's happened to us before. We've never had a problem with our TSA locks, and we have had the inspection notice in one or two bags that had TSA locks on them. It's a always a weird feeling when you see that inspection notice, with or without a TSA lock on the suitcase.

Hello,

I work for an airline and our TSA agents have to hand search or swab every piece of checked luggage. This is because we are an out-station airport and do not have the newer x-ray machines.

We ask all are passengers to either unlock their bags or have TSA locks on their bags. If you don't have TSA locks on your bags and lock them the TSA can cut the lock to screen the bags. They do leave a sheet of paper stating that they have screened the bag. I have to say alot of the damage to bags are not caused by the screening but from being over packed. Mostly with zippers breaking when the TSA agents try to rezip the bags after screening.

As to lock or keep your bags unlocked. Being in the airline industry for many years I don't lock my bags. I travel all the time and have never had a problem with thieft. I usually stay over night before I cruise and I can say I do lock of zip tie my bags before I reach the cruise porters. Not that I have every had a problem but I have herd stories of people who have. I can say I really tips those porters well though. I don't want to see my bags floating beside the ship....lol. Especially since the porters usually make it a ponit to tell you they don't work for the cruise line

Shan9700:)

I travel a lot,and I do not lock my bags...I do put long twist ties on them or the pull through security twists just to see if they have been opened(they have not and that's flying in the US and in Europe).Of course the thing to remember is DO NOT put anything in your bag you do not want to lose locks or not.I think locks just make the owner's feel better.

I haven't used locks when travelling but have used the plastic cable ties. If they hand check the luggage (hasn't happened yet) I leave some extra ties on top of the clothes, I've read they will put them on for you. I use them especially when travelling home from some Caribbean destinations-I'm not concerned with what is taken out of my luggage, just what might be put in. You can be without your luggage for a long time and I don't really want the dogs at my home airport showing any interest in me :)

Just as a point of interest...

There have been many reports from folks on these boards who have invested in the TSA locks, only to find that at some airports, the TSA agents either are in too much a hurry, or just don't give a flip, and do NOT get the TSA key to open the locks. Thus - they just cut off the locks....!:eek:

The airlines say don't lock your luggage - and that's what I abide by. In my many years of flying, I have never lost a thing from my luggage.

Archived