How soon after arrival at a port is it likely I can get off?

Harters

My ship is scheduled to be in port from 10.00 till 17.00. How soon after arrival would it be usual for me to be able to disembark?

Apologies for asking - I know I should know this from our previous O cruise, but I've forgotten.

TIA

John

depends on the port

Tender ports will take longer 

I would think once the ship is cleared 30 min to 1 hr 

We are not usually in the  1st group  we wait for the crush to be over 😉

In this case, it's not a  tender port.

You mention not being in the first group. Does that mean it's organised in some way and you have to get "permission" to get off, rather than just walking off?

Edited by Harters

Just an fyi for those who have not cruised O previously.  When we were going ashore when docked we pretty much just walked down to 4 and walked off.

Currents will show you the basics each day.

IMG_20230515_101232.thumb.jpg.2a63a8a04af9355e847951004d577430.jpgIMG_20230515_101251.thumb.jpg.c335e59c05778e765b4702513082d6b0.jpg

Tendering on the other hand was not nearly as quick. Luckily it was only one port and we were not in any real rush.  Seas not like glass made it more difficult but everyone got there eventually.

1 hour ago, Harters said:

In this case, it's not a  tender port.

You mention not being in the first group. Does that mean it's organised in some way and you have to get "permission" to get off, rather than just walking off?

And, in most cases, ship’s tour takers have priority (though the staff may mix some others (with time specific tender tix) in with the O tour takers.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

You will need to go to the lounge where the shore excursion staff will give you a number.  You then get off the ship when your number is called. 

That is if you are on an O tour  or it is  a tender port

otherwise  you can just walk off when they give the all clear

• Like 2

Thanks, Lyn.  I was about to post something to the same effect!  If you are on a ship's tour, or it's a tender port, yep, it's a bit more complicated.  When that's the case, we usually wait until a bit later to leave. But if you are on your own and it's not a tender port, there's generally not a problem in just waling off. Besides, if you have booked a private tour your guide will be waiting for you.

Many thanks all. You've been helpful as usual.

We have a restaurant reservation for lunch and I can now plan what to do prior to that. We should have a good couple of hours to wander round the city centre. Next job - work out a walking tour (gpsmycity.com).