Best Zeebruges to Bruges Transfer Option

We will be arriving at Zeebruges on Monday June 26 via the NCL Prima - it looks like there are 4 primary ways to Bruges:

1] Train via transfer thru Blakenberg

2] Shuttle via Viator or Cruise Express

3] Taxi

4] Cruise ship shuttle

The train seems to be the cheapest, while the taxi seems to be the most time efficient.

We are leaning towards the shuttle [3 people will be $75 and we do not mind the mile walk], because the taxi rate at $120 USD round-trip seems expensive for 60 minutes of travel time

Any options that I am missing or additional things that we should know about the transfer options?  

1, Train from Blankenberge is fast (10 minutes) and cheap, probably still under €10. But since it's an hourly service and you travel the 3 miles to Blankenberge station by ship's (usually payable) shuttle it's pot-luck whether you lose up to an hour waiting for a train. Bruges station is a simple flat 15-20 minute walk to the Grotmarkt in the cobbled centre of Bruges

2. Cruise Express Shuttle . Was the go-to option when it was started, but a pre-booked taxi is better, and possibly cheaper for 4 or more. Cost whether booked direct or thru Viator or other intermediaries depends on currency exchange rates used. Drop point in Bruges is at the long-term coach park on Bargeweg, a pleasant & flat 20 to 25 minute walk to the Grotemarkt in the cobbled centre of Bruges. Pre-booking is advisable

3. Taxi. Availability is rather suspect, you're very strongly advised to book. I'm now out-of-date on the fare, what you've mentioned is much higher than I remember. Some taxis hold up to 8 passengers & the bigger the taxi the better the value - sharing via your cruise RollCall or simply touting on-board or on the quay. Buses aren't permitted in the cobbled centre but taxis are, so arrange for your taxi to drop you & collect you at / near the Grotemarkt.

4. Cruise ship shuttle. Very simple, but again you're dropped  15 - 20 minute walk from the centre. Unless things have changed it's on Bargeplein at bus stops by the "little red bridge" ("Bargebrug" on googlemaps), a couple of minutes closer than the coach park. Do be wary about "shuttle" - the word is often mis-used by cruise ships for "on your own" excursions with a set return time, so an early departure may mean an early return. 

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

1, Train from Blankenberge is fast (10 minutes) and cheap, probably still under €10. But since it's an hourly service and you travel the 3 miles to Blankenberge station by ship's (usually payable) shuttle it's pot-luck whether you lose up to an hour waiting for a train. Bruges station is a simple flat 15-20 minute walk to the Grotmarkt in the cobbled centre of Bruges

2. Cruise Express Shuttle . Was the go-to option when it was started, but a pre-booked taxi is better, and possibly cheaper for 4 or more. Cost whether booked direct or thru Viator or other intermediaries depends on currency exchange rates used. Drop point in Bruges is at the long-term coach park on Bargeweg, a pleasant & flat 20 to 25 minute walk to the Grotemarkt in the cobbled centre of Bruges. Pre-booking is advisable

3. Taxi. Availability is rather suspect, you're very strongly advised to book. I'm now out-of-date on the fare, what you've mentioned is much higher than I remember. Some taxis hold up to 8 passengers & the bigger the taxi the better the value - sharing via your cruise RollCall or simply touting on-board or on the quay. Buses aren't permitted in the cobbled centre but taxis are, so arrange for your taxi to drop you & collect you at / near the Grotemarkt.

4. Cruise ship shuttle. Very simple, but again you're dropped  15 - 20 minute walk from the centre. Unless things have changed it's on Bargeplein at bus stops by the "little red bridge" ("Bargebrug" on googlemaps), a couple of minutes closer than the coach park. Do be wary about "shuttle" - the word is often mis-used by cruise ships for "on your own" excursions with a set return time, so an early departure may mean an early return. 

JB 🙂

Thank you John for the detailed reply - this is very helpful

• Like 1

Scroll thro  your RollCalt to see if anyone has booked a taxi & is looking for sharers

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2830418-carnival-pride-may-282023/page/9/#comments

Failing that it's a bit late in the day but try 

https://martinstaxi.be/en/homepage-2/

Prices have jumped over the past few years, now €110 for both ways - but his taxis take 8 passengers so good value if you can fill it - again sharers via your RollCall

Or a website I know nothing about

https://www.findtransfers.com/transfers/from-port-of-zeebrugge-to-bruges

Try to figure whether to enter 8 pax & look for sharers, or try for fewer passengers.

Or ask google (English is widely spoken in Belgium)

Good luck

JB 🙂

PS We'll be sailing Pride at the end of next month (Dover  / Norwegian fjords), so please keep her neat and tidy, and don't break her 😏

Edited by John Bull

Thanks for the suggestions!

No one on my roll call has mentioned Bruges, and most of the folks on the Facebook group for this cruise are planning to use the Cruise Express shuttle. I can’t use the shuttle because of my folding scooter, and even if I could the negative reviews would put me off. I’ve been looking at a couple of lists of taxi companies and was hoping for some recommendations of reliable companies. I’ve contacted Martin’s Taxi and am waiting to hear back. I’m also trying the find transfers site. I’ll report back my results.

We’ll try to be easy on all the new paint!

I contacted Martin’s Taxi and this was their response:

GOOD DAY

NO NEED TO MAKE A BOOKING

TAXIS ARE WAITING IN LINE AT THE CRUISE TERMINAL ALSO 8 SEATERS

ROUND TRIP WOULD COST ABOUT 110 € PER CAR

YOU CAN AGREE THE RETURN TRIP WITH YOUR DRIVER

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM YOU CAN ALWAYS CALL ME ON THE DAY

GREETINGS

LOU

MARTINS TAXI

ZEEBRUGGE

So I’m just going to assume I’ll be able to get a taxi at the Cruise Terminal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

This is very helpful. Thank you for this. Looking to do this along with a bike trip to Damme, unless it is too hot in august, then just explore Bruges.

Damme was was a scenic shore excursion stop on our unexpected visit to Belgium last November [QM2 diverted south, missing two Norway ports due to foul weather]. We decided that we would look for another sailing that intentionally visits Zeebruge - perhaps 2025.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 5/21/2023 at 7:59 AM, el344 said:

I contacted Martin’s Taxi and this was their response:

GOOD DAY

NO NEED TO MAKE A BOOKING

TAXIS ARE WAITING IN LINE AT THE CRUISE TERMINAL ALSO 8 SEATERS

ROUND TRIP WOULD COST ABOUT 110 € PER CAR

YOU CAN AGREE THE RETURN TRIP WITH YOUR DRIVER

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM YOU CAN ALWAYS CALL ME ON THE DAY

GREETINGS

LOU

MARTINS TAXI

ZEEBRUGGE

So I’m just going to assume I’ll be able to get a taxi at the Cruise Terminal.

Hi. Did this work out for you?

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 3:53 AM, el344 said:

Thanks for the suggestions!

No one on my roll call has mentioned Bruges, and most of the folks on the Facebook group for this cruise are planning to use the Cruise Express shuttle. I can’t use the shuttle because of my folding scooter, and even if I could the negative reviews would put me off. I’ve been looking at a couple of lists of taxi companies and was hoping for some recommendations of reliable companies. I’ve contacted Martin’s Taxi and am waiting to hear back. I’m also trying the find transfers site. I’ll report back my results.

We’ll try to be easy on all the new paint!

Hi, we are on a May cruise with a stop at the port in Zeebruges.  Curious if you foumd a cab to prebook as that is my preference.  Thank you!

Yes, we were able to get a taxi without pre booking. There was a line, but it moved quickly. We were able to put together a group of six while standing in line, so the cost was quite reasonable. You will need euros to pay.

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 8:52 AM, el344 said:

Yes, we were able to get a taxi without pre booking. There was a line, but it moved quickly. We were able to put together a group of six while standing in line, so the cost was quite reasonable. You will need euros to pay.

How much for six?

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2024 at 1:28 PM, el344 said:

It was around 110€ for all six of us. Plus a tip.

Was the 110€ for one way or round trip? Any problems getting the taxi back to ship? Thanks.

9 hours ago, el344 said:

Round trip. Our driver picked us up on time for the return trip.

Where did you get picked up and dropped off? What arrangements did you make to be sure you found your taxi going back to ship?  Did you pay at the return drop off? Thanks.

IIRC, there was a shuttle bus from the ship to the terminal building. There was a line outside the terminal building for taxis. Our driver dropped us off and picked us up in front of a museum on the main square. We paid when he dropped us off. It seemed to be a well established smoothly running system.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, el344 said:

It seemed to be a well established smoothly running system.

Do you recall if the taxis were at cruise terminal as soon as you got off the ship? A queue for both passengers and taxis? Thanks.

On 5/15/2023 at 11:11 PM, John Bull said:

3. Taxi. Availability is rather suspect, you're very strongly advised to book.

JB 🙂

Do you have a recommendation for taxi service to  pre-book? Thank you.