WOS review May 7th - 14th the good and the meh

1 hour ago, baileybrad said:

Tastes definitely vary. When I saw the earlier reference from a poster that they did not enjoy the ice show or water show....but did like a few others had a similar reaction as you. We were on the WOS in November and felt that the ice show (with all of the special on ice effects and great music) was far and away the best cruise ice show that we had ever seen. My wife loved the water show, too. I felt it went on a little too long. We may be in the minority but we both do not care for the Effectors at all.

We are cruising at May month end with 6 other family members and have really been hyping how good the ice show is on this ship. Hope the family enjoys it.

We actually really liked the Aqua as well. Not saying it was the best we have seen but in my opinion doesn't have to be the best to still be amazing just the same . We went back on the last night and took the son of new friends we had made on the sailing to offer them some time to themselves. It was pretty cool as they were transitioning in some new cast members so it was actually noticably different. The main girl from the first show was actually sitting right behind us cheering on her replacement ... I t was awesome. Some of the special effects in Effectors was enough to make it worth seeing , but definitely more geared to the kids

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Have you seen this policy written some where? On almost every RCI cruise I have been on recently (26 post COVID), staff to include the MDR Maitre’d and numerous officers to include the Hotel Director have emphasized the importance of 10 ratings on the survey. I find it hard to believe so many officers on numerous ships would say something about how to complete the survey if it was against RCI rules. 

^^^^Agreed 100% ^^^^

They actually had it as an announcement the last day we left the windjammer at lunch

I found it all a little confusing. The whole thing comes off as an annoying guilt trip. I cruise with a great attitude towards staff and understand how hard they work , but that should speak for itself without the lecture ... If they don't do a good job , that needs to be addressed .The more I read people bring it up , the more it makes me rethink my approach

Cheers

23 hours ago, Darkingnj said:

Thanks for the review...very helpful.

Do you recall the various theme nights?

The two dress-your-best nights were nights 2 and 6.  There was a Caribbean dress night.  Some folks mention a wear white event? Because I wasn't linked with the online app for events, and I never picked up a paper one, I can't say for sure on that one. (cruising with little ones, I went with their flow of things).  

Can someone chime in about the theme nights?

19 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Have you seen this policy written some where? On almost every RCI cruise I have been on recently (26 post COVID), staff to include the MDR Maitre’d and numerous officers to include the Hotel Director have emphasized the importance of 10 ratings on the survey. I find it hard to believe so many officers on numerous ships would say something about how to complete the survey if it was against RCI rules. 

Yes.  It is a question ON THE SURVEY:  'Has any cruise member requested a positive rating, and if so... who?"  

1 minute ago, BobNoxious said:

Yes.  It is a question ON THE SURVEY:  'Has any cruise member requested a positive rating, and if so... who?"  

I am well aware of the question on the survey. My question is where does it say or how do you know RCI employees are not allowed to talk to guests about the survey? Like I said previously, and others have mentioned, every RCI cruise I go on lots of employees, to include several officers, talk about the importance of 10s on the survey 

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am well aware of the question on the survey. My question is where does it say or how do you know RCI employees are not allowed to talk to guests about the survey? Like I said previously, and others have mentioned, every RCI cruise I go on lots of employees, to include several officers, talk about the importance of 10s on the survey 

I’m sure they are well are of it.  I am only guessing royal is asking because they don’t like it.  But perhaps royal wants to hear that several specific crew members begged me for a rating. I will oblige and let royal know so those people requesting a 10 get proper recognition. Thank you for correcting me

Edited by BobNoxious

On 5/18/2023 at 12:13 PM, nimbex1970 said:

I see your point completely.  With the head waiter trying to fix what he couldn't (poor food execution), I just felt like an ass pressing any further as it was obvious the kitchen was just overcooking the shrimp.  My family was already uncomfortable and were not happy I spoke up.  I had already ate pizza after dinner for the past few nights and thought it would be a quick fix, instead, my complaint turned into a "thing", and that wasn't my desire.  With so many other options out there, it made no point to me, to press it further. Why be frustrated on vacation?  

I went to playmakers and ordered chicken wings a bit later and they were excellent! Very pleased there. 

Just wanted to share my experience, which I hope was not shared by anyone else. Thanks for the feedback, I would have recommended the supervisor as well, had I not been aware of my family being uncomfortable with it all. Just unnecessary. 

Ironically, you cannot "win" in this situation.

If you do not complain or at least tell staff about a problem, they cannot fix it.

If you do not tell staff about the problem but you are unhappy with the situation, people will ask you, "Why did you not complain (talk to staff about a resolution)?"

You told staff about what you felt was not proper and asked for a reasonable solution.

They failed to provide a reasonably prepared food dish.

YOU were made to feel like you are the unreasonable party for saying ANYTHING about your concerns.

No one should feel that they have to pay for a meal package just to enjoy a meal with their family.

I feel for you. You are not alone.

I, like yourself, will find a way to enjoy ANY cruise, but at the future price points, there are other options.

I have sailed RCI almost exclusively since 1988. The past two cruises were subpar but worth the experience at the price-point I paid. I have two more this year and they will determine if I start experimenting with other lines more often. C&A perks mean nothing to my wife and I if the basic elements of a cruise vacation are not reasonably handled for the price-point requested.

Regards.

• Like 4

On 5/23/2023 at 10:27 AM, BobNoxious said:

It's only two week post-cruise, however, I have not received this type of survey.  One was specific to the Wifi and another was very general

46 minutes ago, nimbex1970 said:

It's only two week post-cruise, however, I have not received this type of survey.  One was specific to the Wifi and another was very general

I have been given an evaluation request the same day I left a cruise every cruise that I have taken. It was detailed.

I do not question your statement. Maybe RCI has changed the way they are requesting feedback.

Unusual.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 12:38 PM, BobNoxious said:

perhaps it is in your spam folder?

solid point but no.  I'm not one to email and complain... especially since I had a wonderful cruise sans the dining room food. I love the RCL product and aside from the food issue, I was very pleased and would return... Honestly.. I feel these are purposeful choices and complaining does nothing.  

Great review, well written. We haven't eaten in the MDR since I think 2016, even specialty is hit and miss these days but at least it's a quieter experience. I'd have a real problem if I had your same experience in the MDR.

49 minutes ago, boontj2003 said:

Hello! Trying to figure out how to book our shows? Everyone says 45 days out, i'm 33 days out and cant find it. Any insight? btw, great review! thank you

It varies. "Everyone" doesn't know what they are talking about. Check-in is a firm 45-days out.

I couldn't reserve shows until 30 days out for Wonder cruise this Sunday. Just keep checking. It should be soon.

I was expecting WOS to do better

I was on the harmony a few months ago and due to bad service and food in both MDR and windjammer I decided to sail with celebrity for 2024 and the rest of 23. I love royal , almost diamonds plus but last ship was really bad.

I spoke to the manager of windhammer about the quality of food and he told me that "it will improve in the future but this is what we have " see you in the future then lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

I spoke to the manager of windhammer about the quality of food and he told me that "it will improve in the future but this is what we have " see you in the future then lol

LOL - would be nice if they had a timeline for that! What's annoying is that even before it got to this point I never felt like MDR food/experience was that great so we either bought a dining package or booked a cabin with the perk of CK. The difficult thing now is that everything costs more and on top of it, still feel like I need to pay extra to mitigate a potentially disappointing dining experience which is a big part of the cruise for us. The nickels and dimes are adding up 🫠 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

even before it got to this point I never felt like MDR food/experience was that great

That's how we felt (about the food at least, our servers were usually great) but we didn't mind b/c my wife is picky and would wind up with the standby caesar salad & chicken too often and I like to eat so WJ and other venues always worked better for us anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

That's how we felt (about the food at least, our servers were usually great) but we didn't mind b/c my wife is picky and would wind up with the standby caesar salad & chicken too often and I like to eat so WJ and other venues always worked better for us anyway.

The WJ salad bar was also my go to on previous cruises when all else failed but now it has been severely down-sized with much fewer dressings, toppings, and individual vegetable options.

🥹

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

The WJ salad bar was also my go to on previous cruises when all else failed but now it has been severely down-sized with much fewer dressings, toppings, and individual vegetable options.

🥹

Salad is way too healthy for me, lol, but I hear ya and that's disappointing.

Since I haven't sailed since October, I'm withholding all food-related judgment until next week when I experience it for myself.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Salad is way too healthy for me, lol, but I hear ya and that's disappointing.

Since I haven't sailed since October, I'm withholding all food-related judgment until next week when I experience it for myself.

Looking for your review in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Looking for your review in a couple of weeks.

I'll have a review of some sort for sure and it will be food-centric I'm sure.

Would like to do a semi-live report but really not sure I'd have the time with it being an extended family cruise. Not ruling it out until we're on board though. If Sunday night winds down and I feel like I can post some stuff, maybe a nightly recap. Who knows?

5 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I'll have a review of some sort for sure and it will be food-centric I'm sure.

Would like to do a semi-live report but really not sure I'd have the time with it being an extended family cruise. Not ruling it out until we're on board though. If Sunday night winds down and I feel like I can post some stuff, maybe a nightly recap. Who knows?

Quick after cruise critique will be more than sufficient for me. Food is always subjective and like to hear everyone's opinion whether it agrees with mine or not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Quick after cruise critique will be more than sufficient for me. Food is always subjective and like to hear everyone's opinion whether it agrees with mine or not.

That's my problem... I have a hard time being brief, especially with trip reviews.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Haha 1