Should I rent a car for the day in Sitka?

tropiclvrs

I've seen a few people say they were going to rent a car in Sitka for the day so it got me thinking.  I can see the benefit as if you book through Turo the owner will drop it off for you at the port so you don't have to deal with the whole shuttle fiasco.  I also am interested in seeing the Raptor Center, Totems at the Nat'l Historic Park, and Fortress of the Bears.  Some of that is walkable, but not Fortress.

Any one have experience with this or think if it's worthwhile or not?  Not sure how parking is in town and at those places.

Another option is to rent e-bikes but those are quite pricey and I'm not sure if they can be locked up (of if they even need to be).

Any input you may have is most welcome!

Edited by tropiclvrs

How much is a car for the day and how many people?  There's only around 30 miles of roads in Sitka, so it's not like Skagway or Juneau where you can explore a bit.  There's a bus from downtown that drops you off at the Fortress.  In the downtown area the streets are narrow and little parking around the shops.

There are 6 of us and an SUV or mini van would be about $160-$180 for the day.

I'm sure it'll be less expensive to just take the bus to Fortress but I'm thinking of convenience too.  However, if there isn't anything really around to explore then probably not worth it.

I wouldn't bother to rent a car. Take the ship shuttle from the port into town and then use the offered shuttle (we paid $10.00 pp in September) for a tour of Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Center...each of these has an additional venue fee.

If you're like us and you like to explore on your own, there certainly is a benefit to having a rental car in Sitka and it is nice how they deliver the car to the dock.  However, be very careful.  We rented from Sitka Car Rentals and the car was a piece of junk.  From what I've heard, Turo isn't much better.  It'll likely be an old car that has seen much better days.  Oh, and it'll likely stink in one way or another.  

17 hours ago, Ashland said:

I wouldn't bother to rent a car. Take the ship shuttle from the port into town and then use the offered shuttle (we paid $10.00 pp in September) for a tour of Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Center...each of these has an additional venue fee.

There was no one selling a shuttle for $10. I think $25 was the price I saw.

I would not rent a car in Sitka. Very small town.

Edited by Coral