Leaving luggage on board

LA30

Hi all.  Pre-Covid, we did a half world cruise from Sydney to Southampton.  We were able to send a suitcase with our formal gear down to Southampton before the ship departed and when we boarded in Sydney the case was in our cabin.  We had to pay, but it was an excellent service.  Next January we are doing the other half of the cruise, from Southampton to Sydney.  Does anyone know if we can leave a suitcase on board when we fly home?

• 2 weeks later...

Just had response from P&O:  

"Yes, it may be possible to leave your luggage on board if you are disembarking during a world cruise for collection in Southampton. This service is dependent on the ship having sufficient storage and a charge of approximately £35 will be charged to your on board account. Please speak to Reception once you are on-board to enquire about availability. If this service is available, you will be sent details whilst on board detailing what you need to do and when and where your luggage can be collected from, when it returns to Southampton. 

The limit is two pieces per cabin you can leave on board (providing there is sufficient storage). This service is subject to change due to legal restrictions. Some ports are very reluctant to allow unattended luggage into their waters."

Not sure what to do now!  What if they say no?  We'll have to pay excess baggage on our flight home - which can be very expensive.  But 20kg each for luggage on flights from a half world tour is not going to cut it.  Same posh frock for every formal night??!

Not really a helpful reply.

Don't know which airline you are flying with but some possible options:

• Upgrade to business class so that will give more luggage allowance.
  • See if there is an option to "buy" extra luggage allowance.
  • Check if there are any courier services that return luggage.
  • Long shot but see if there are any passengers willing to "bring your luggage home"

Personally I would not be happy with waiting until I was onboard and seeing what, if anything, P&O might be able to do.

I remember reading that you had to book this in advance - at least that way you knew what was happening.

4 minutes ago, david63 said:

See if there is an option to "buy" extra luggage allowance.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that any airline flying from Sydney to Southampton (likely via London) will be happy (or at least capable of) to carry excess luggage for a fee.  Arranging with, and paying, the cruise line to forward the luggage is more hassle and expense than simply taking it home on the flight.

Do you know which airline you're flying with yet? If you're a member of qantas flying club which is easy enough to join you get 30kg. May well be the same with other airlines,  I think they appreciate that Australia isn't a fortnight's package tour.

We're flying with Etihad.  I'm sure we could pay for extra baggage with them, but it would be easier to leave it on board.  We've done it before and did book in advance.  Just turning up and hoping is not a very helpful option!

18 hours ago, d9704011 said:

not other alternative options

Sorry, my bad. I thought that this was a forum where we tried to help one another by offering other options when something does not work out, and actually the OP did mention paying excess baggage.

20 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Arranging with, and paying, the cruise line to forward the luggage is more hassle and expense than simply taking it home on the flight.

It would be considerably less expense than paying excess baggage and if the ship would take the luggage then there is an excellent service in Southampton that will return your luggage to your door - even less hassle than dealing with airlines.

21 hours ago, david63 said:

Not really a helpful reply.

Don't know which airline you are flying with but some possible options:

• Upgrade to business class so that will give more luggage allowance.
  • See if there is an option to "buy" extra luggage allowance.
  • Check if there are any courier services that return luggage.
  • Long shot but see if there are any passengers willing to "bring your luggage home"

Personally I would not be happy with waiting until I was onboard and seeing what, if anything, P&O might be able to do.

I remember reading that you had to book this in advance - at least that way you knew what was happening.

Your last suggestion is flawed.  What would happen if, on arrival at Southampton, they are asked by Customs did you pack this case yourself? Passengers on cruises and flights are warned not to carry anything for others. 

7 minutes ago, True Devonian said:

Your last suggestion is flawed.  What would happen if, on arrival at Southampton, they are asked by Customs did you pack this case yourself? Passengers on cruises and flights are warned not to carry anything for others. 

Not 100% sure, but I would have thought that it is classed as freight.