Bergen cruise port to Bergen airport - private car service?

LAKaye

Hello~

Can anyone recommend a Bergen car service for an early morning trip from the ship to the Bergen airport?  I will disembark the Venus the morning of Tuesday, March 12, 2024.

I won't be using Viking Air, therefore will not go on their shuttle bus.  Also, I am not physically able to walk with baggage to Bergen public transportation.  I've heard that there isn't anything like Uber in Bergen.

Thank you very much~~

Leslie Ann

My goodness!  Where did I get the idea that I could use the Viking transfer only if I were using their air?  

Did you make this arrangement when you booked the cruise, or did you do this once you were on the ship?

All details are greatly appreciated!

Thank you ~

I used the chat feature within MyVikingjourney two weeks ago, on a cruise we booked in August of 2021! They take payment and email you a transfer request form to complete, so they know which flight you need to reach, you send that back in and then it's added to your passenger contract. Very simple.

Kevin

• Like 2

Thank you all for this information.

Of all of the legs of this journey, this particular transfer is the Achilles Heel of the trip.  The great thing about the Viking transfer is that I and the transfer vehicle don't have to "find each other" in the morning darkness in March.  

If I use a local private car service, I will be stressing out about finding them and worrying about how they are going to find me.  Yikes!

The more I think about it, my sister (coming from the Left Coast) and I must have been misinformed by the Viking cruise agent/or did not understand the fine points of this because both of us were settling for poor flight itineraries in order to get the Viking transfers.  

So, one must book Viking Air to get the transfers from LHR to hotel and hotel to Tilbury cruise port at top of cruise--they're not available for separate purchase.  However, one can purchase a transfer for end of cruise shuttling to the Bergen airport.  Whew~

I so appreciate the help of all of you.  

🤗

Leslie Ann

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LAKaye said:

Thank you all for this information.

Of all of the legs of this journey, this particular transfer is the Achilles Heel of the trip.  The great thing about the Viking transfer is that I and the transfer vehicle don't have to "find each other" in the morning darkness in March.  

If I use a local private car service, I will be stressing out about finding them and worrying about how they are going to find me.  Yikes!

The more I think about it, my sister (coming from the Left Coast) and I must have been misinformed by the Viking cruise agent/or did not understand the fine points of this because both of us were settling for poor flight itineraries in order to get the Viking transfers.  

So, one must book Viking Air to get the transfers from LHR to hotel and hotel to Tilbury cruise port at top of cruise--they're not available for separate purchase.  However, one can purchase a transfer for end of cruise shuttling to the Bergen airport.  Whew~

I so appreciate the help of all of you.  

🤗

Leslie Ann

Transfers are available for privately booked arrival flights IF (and it is a big IF) you are arriving the same day as the incoming group flight. Even if you arrive a day early and are willing to return to the airport, you can’t do this. 

• Like 1

I’d just have them call a taxi.  As I remember it, a taxi from the airport to our hotel (which was booked fairly close to where Viking docked) was about the equivalent of $50 when we flew into Bergen.  

We have also used a car service through Viator to get to the airport, but not in Bergen.  The only time I have used Viking’s service is when we needed to get from Valparaiso to Santiago.  We had non refundable OBC to kill and Viator didn’t have any options available.

• Like 1

Viking makes getting a taxi easy. When our first Viking cruise ended in Bergen, we needed to go to the Bergen train station but were not part of the Viking post-cruise extension. The day before we disembarked, I asked at the Viking reference desk about how to call a taxi. I was told we should just go into the cruise port terminal as we left the ship, and the people there would get us a taxi.  As soon as we entered, we were met by a man who asked us to identify our luggage, which Viking had  transported to the terminal the night before. He told us to sit and another man then took our names and destination and called a taxi.  When the taxi arrived, the man came back to where we were sitting, took our luggage, and guided us out to the right taxi.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Traveler145 said:

Viking makes getting a taxi easy. When our first Viking cruise ended in Bergen, we needed to go to the Bergen train station but were not part of the Viking post-cruise extension. The day before we disembarked, I asked at the Viking reference desk about how to call a taxi. I was told we should just go into the cruise port terminal as we left the ship, and the people there would get us a taxi.  As soon as we entered, we were met by a man who asked us to identify our luggage, which Viking had  transported to the terminal the night before. He told us to sit and another man then took our names and destination and called a taxi.  When the taxi arrived, the man came back to where we were sitting, took our luggage, and guided us out to the right taxi.

We were overwhelmed by the helpfulness of the staff at Bergen port last month. 

Specifically on the taxi question, they called us a taxi and it arrived in less than 5 minutes. 

We had also booked a transfer service to take our luggage to Oslo, we were taking the train, when they were late arriving the port staff called the company and reassured us that they were on the way.

The young staff insisted on helping us with our luggage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a Viking transfer to Bergen airport last week, and it could not have been any smoother or easier. There were plenty of porters to get the suitcases out of the terminal and onto the bus, and even more porters laid on specifically for the Viking transfers, waiting for us at the airport with a row of trolleys. One loaded our suitcases on a trolley and wheeled it inside for us. There was someone waiting inside to point out the right place to get the luggage tags (ours were from a print-it-yourself machine) and to help us print out the tags and attach them. We even had a dedicated channel through security! It was a masterpiece of helpfulness and organisation. As one of our cruise friends said, “If you want something done right, get the Norwegians to do it!”

• Like 2