Non-refundable deposit question

Italy52

6 minutes ago, TreyB said:

Why would you book a non refundable deposit then wonder about moving your cruise date?  Figuring that any deposit that is non refundable means just that. 

We had no plans to cancel.  Unfortunately, something has come up beyond our control.  It would be nice if you could just answer the question rather than be judgemental..

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

Usually, you lose $50/pp, but are able to move the rest to a different cruise.  Just like the Terms and Conditions say.

Thank you for your kind reply, I appreciate it.  I am not new to cruising only Carnival and wondered if there were options IF I have to cancel.  I do have insurance but wondered if I could work with the system if need be.

• Like 3

Sometimes people book a cruise and then realize they can't go for whatever reason. The OP was looking for suggestions or personal experience, not judgments for cancelling. Wow. Sorry, I don't have personal experience.l but I have read on here that you can cancel a non refundable deposit and change the cruise for a fee. I would try calling Carnival and see. Good luck!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Yes you generally can. I’ve moved cruises with a non-refundable deposit. You have to pay a penalty of $50/pp on the booking to do it. But they’re generally happy to help you stay booked on something vs canceling all together.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@TeresaJ and @kelkel2, thank you both for your kind responses and for providing me with the information I was looking for.  I have NO intentions of cancelling the cruise but sometimes circumstances beyond our control happen.  At this point, we are fine but there is a possibility that might change.  The thought that there might be options and I could possibly move the cruise (even with a penalty) to a later date is comforting. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Thank you for your kind reply, I appreciate it.  I am not new to cruising only Carnival and wondered if there were options IF I have to cancel.  I do have insurance but wondered if I could work with the system if need be.

Wow! People are really judgmental here!!! He said Work WITH the system, not Work The System. That is exactly what people are supposed to do - work with the system! 

It's wonderful that so many people here have never had anything truly unexpected happen to them. In the real world it does happen. When you plan cruises months in advance, there is a lot of life that can happen between the booking and actual sailing.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Susan in Maine said:

When you plan cruises months in advance, there is a lot of life that can happen between the booking and actual sailing.

And a lot of the things in life that can happen aren’t things that would be covered by insurance.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Susan in Maine said:

Wow! People are really judgmental here!!! He said Work WITH the system, not Work The System. That is exactly what people are supposed to do - work with the system! 

It's wonderful that so many people here have never had anything truly unexpected happen to them. In the real world it does happen. When you plan cruises months in advance, there is a lot of life that can happen between the booking and actual sailing.

Thank you for your kind post, I appreciate it.

• Like 1

Yeah @Italy52, the key here is avoiding 'cancelling' the cruise and simply 'rebooking something different'.  I think most would agree that in the first instance, your deposit would be forfeited and that's reasonable.  I agree with others that with most rate plans you'll face a $50pp processing fee to move it. Good luck! 

Edited by jsglow
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Italy52 said:

If you put a non-refundable deposit down on a Carnival cruise will they allow you to move that cruise date and not loose the deposit?  Just curious.

I was able to change cruises with a nonrefundable rate a few weeks ago, changed ships and sail dates.  It seemed really easy (I was worried they weren't going to be able to).   I think it was $50 per person, and she gave me the ability to change the fare type, but I wanted to the drinks package, so stuck with the non-refundable since I knew the new dates were absolutely going to work.  

Goodluck!! 

Edited by xitappers2bx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, xitappers2bx said:

I was able to change cruises with a nonrefundable rate a few weeks ago, changed ships and sail dates.  It seemed really easy (I was worried they weren't going to be able to).   I think it was $50 per person, and she gave me the ability to change the fare type, but I wanted to the drinks package, so stuck with the non-refundable since I knew the new dates were absolutely going to work.  

Goodluck!! 

Thank you very  much for the positive feedback, I appreciate it very much.

I cancelled a cruise last year that was an early saver rate.  I did so to book a week earlier under the 50% off sale code from last year.  The original deposit was $250.  Even if we would have lost all of the deposit, the new cruise rate was definitely worth it.  After cancelling I received an email stating that while the deposit was non-refundable, I would receive a future cruise credit less a $50 per person fee, so I was able to apply $150 to another cruise.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I cancelled a cruise last year that was an early saver rate.  I did so to book a week earlier under the 50% off sale code from last year.  The original deposit was $250.  Even if we would have lost all of the deposit, the new cruise rate was definitely worth it.  After cancelling I received an email stating that while the deposit was non-refundable, I would receive a future cruise credit less a $50 per person fee, so I was able to apply $150 to another cruise.

Thank you for your post, I appreciate it.  It definitely seems that Carnival doesn't want to loose customers, good PR move on their part.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

non-refundable just means you won't get any actual money refunded, you will get a credit to use with carnival, less the $50 p/p fee

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ngrund said:

non-refundable just means you won't get any actual money refunded, you will get a credit to use with carnival, less the $50 p/p fee

Correct, as long as it is outside the normal cancellation periods in which case you can lose all of your deposit or more depending on the timing:

Once your booking is within our cancellation penalty period, the amount of penalty will increase as the cruise departure approaches. When calculating the days prior to sailing, the day of sailing should not be considered as one of the days. The day of sailing is considered the first day of the cruise:

• From the final payment date to 56 days prior to sailing, the penalty is the standard deposit amount.
  • From 55 days prior to sailing to 30 days prior to sailing, the penalty is 50% of the total fare or the standard deposit amount, whichever is greater.
  • From 29 to15 days prior to sailing, the penalty is 75% of the total fare or the standard deposit amount, whichever is greater.
  • From 14 days prior to sailing to the day of your cruise, the penalty is 100%* of the total fare.
  • No refunds will be made if you do not show up for your cruise or if you interrupt or cancel your vacation once it has begun.

The total fare is defined as Cruise Fare, Transfer Services, Pre/Post Cruise Vacation Packages and Fly2Fun Air (please note that Fly2Fun Restricted Air which is non-refundable at time of booking).
Note: For full 100% penalties, the refund will only include: Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses and Optional Prepaid Gratuities.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TreyB said:

Give me a break. Judgemental?  A question was asked, an answer was given.  Regardless of the backtracking by the OP, they wanted a refund on a non refundable deposit. Doesn’t matter whether it’s working the system, or working with the system, the desired outcome is the same. The risks/rewards are clear to everyone at booking, so why is it “judgemental” to point that out. 

A lot of judgement from people whining about people being judgmental. 🙄

I did NOT want a refund, all I wanted to know if it is possible to move that money to another cruise. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TreyB said:

A question was asked, an answer was given.

Not really.  You actually gave your opinion about somebody asking that question.  The OP asked about the possibility of moving the non-refundable deposit to another cruise, which is possible with a $50 pp penalty. 

• Like 4

I am pretty sure I was able to completely move deposits and not lose any money when I went from a shorter to a longer cruise.  There was a bit of pushback and I said to the agent I am looking to move to a longer and more expensive cruise.  Think this happened twice without any penalty.  Another time we changed from 2 people in 2 rooms to 3 people in one room and did lose $50 of the deposit for the person who did not go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

We had to cancel a Carnival cruise that we booked on an early saver deal. The deposit was non refundable. However, we did not realize it was also non transferrable. So instead of being able to transfer the deposit to a future cruise, we have now forfeited the deposit. Not sailing with this POC Carnival ever again.

Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear that but you should have read the terms before booking. When booking, Carnival will show multiple rates both refundable and non-refundable. Usually non-refundable is the least expensive.

Edited by TeresaJ

1 hour ago, USC-UVIC said:

We had to cancel a Carnival cruise that we booked on an early saver deal. The deposit was non refundable. However, we did not realize it was also non transferrable. So instead of being able to transfer the deposit to a future cruise, we have now forfeited the deposit. Not sailing with this POC Carnival ever again.

Sorry to hear that but you should have read the terms before booking. When booking, Carnival will show multiple rates both refundable and non-refundable. Usually non-refundable is the least expensive.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

From Carnival for non-refundable deposit - "Cancellations that occur prior to the final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit in US dollars in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee."

Hope this help! 🙂 

On 5/19/2023 at 6:33 PM, Italy52 said:

If you put a non-refundable deposit down on a Carnival cruise will they allow you to move that cruise date and not loose the deposit?  Just curious.

Done it many times,  if you have the carnival insurance the $50 per person admin fee is waived.