Safe to walk to Safeway in Ketchikan?

SwimCarrie

On 5/21/2023 at 8:11 PM, SwimCarrie said:

Hi,

I love to go on walks off the beaten path at new ports. There is a Safeway that's about a mile and a half down what looks like a major road in Ketchikan. Anyone live there who can let me know if it's safe to walk alone? (Trying to avoid wild animals and wild humans.) LOL. 

We like to walk over to Creek Street and then up Married man’s trail to Park street, stopping to look at the fish ladder. Then up the hill on Park St. to the old fish hatchery, over to the Totem Pole Heritage center then down Deermount St. past the now closed Tatsuda’s IGA, turn right and over to the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center by the fire Department. Sometimes we’ll walk through the Tongass Trading Post and watch the tourist’s buying all the made in China souvenirs. This walk is a lot better I think than walking to Safeway.

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2023 at 8:20 AM, bomabound said:

On our last cruise to Alaska we mainly walked for miles and miles in every port and we loved seeing a lot of everyday parts of each port.  We actually did that exact walk to Safeway and there was no problem….then cut across the street up the hills and found a good trail, and cut back down from above closer to the ship.  Happily we didn’t run into any bears but I won’t pretend I wasn’t nervous about it. 😀. As a side note, we actually picked up a few really nice souvenirs in Safeway at non-tourist prices.

As another aside, the reason for our walking based trip was that we were geocaching in all the ports, so that guided us to a lot of locations.  We had already done a lot of excursions on previous trips.  On our upcoming trip we are doing a combo of excursions and exploring on foot.  I won’t be surprised if we find ourselves in Safeway again. 😀. I find seeing a town’s local grocery store just as interesting as a jewelry store.

We did some Geocaching in Skagway and Ketchikan in May.  Took us off the beaten path and found a nice quiet trail in Skagway. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eaglecw said:

We like to walk over to Creek Street and then up Married man’s trail to Park street, stopping to look at the fish ladder. Then up the hill on Park St. to the old fish hatchery, over to the Totem Pole Heritage center then down Deermount St. past the now closed Tatsuda’s IGA, turn right and over to the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center by the fire Department. Sometimes we’ll walk through the Tongass Trading Post and watch the tourist’s buying all the made in China souvenirs. This walk is a lot better I think than walking to Safeway.

That is similar to the walk we did and it was great! We downloaded a walking tour map before we left home and  followed it. And grabbed a few geocaches along the way 😁