Safe to walk to Safeway in Ketchikan?

SwimCarrie

Hi,

I love to go on walks off the beaten path at new ports. There is a Safeway that's about a mile and a half down what looks like a major road in Ketchikan. Anyone live there who can let me know if it's safe to walk alone? (Trying to avoid wild animals and wild humans.) LOL. 

Ketchikan is a safe town to walk in, albeit with its share of characters.  The local bears prefer Tatsuda's IPA grocery on the other side of town.  If you get short on time, the free downtown shuttle runs from Safeway back to the docks.

Edited by wolfie11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, SwimCarrie said:

Hi,

I love to go on walks off the beaten path at new ports. There is a Safeway that's about a mile and a half down what looks like a major road in Ketchikan. Anyone live there who can let me know if it's safe to walk alone? (Trying to avoid wild animals and wild humans.) LOL. 

I also love a good stroll off the beaten path in far-off places.  It gives me a chance to get away from the hordes and meet the locals.  As you walk down Tongass Avenue, there's some cute artsy type stores, a thrift shop, a couple of tattoo parlors, a great donut place, and the seaplane base.  Usually a lot of eagles hanging out by the harbor.  I enjoy walking to Safeway and getting some drinks or snacks to take back to the ship.  Ignore the people judging you for doing what you want on your vacation.  Most people are tourists, you're a traveler.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I also love a good stroll off the beaten path in far-off places.  It gives me a chance to get away from the hordes and meet the locals.  As you walk down Tongass Avenue, there's some cute artsy type stores, a thrift shop, a couple of tattoo parlors, a great donut place, and the seaplane base.  Usually a lot of eagles hanging out by the harbor.  I enjoy walking to Safeway and getting some drinks or snacks to take back to the ship.  Ignore the people judging you for doing what you want on your vacation.  Most people are tourists, you're a traveler.

Yes!!! I appreciate someone understanding! Someone suggested the gym. The gym! You're out in a beautiful state with so much to see and you want me to go to the gym? 

I went for a glorious walk in the pouring rain last time but didn't research ahead of time. I was enjoying looking at all the homes, imagining what their day to day lives look like, but it suddenly occured to me perhaps I had gone a little too far off the beaten path when I came upon a house with 20 or so old toilets and bathtubs in their front yard. I had a Deliverance moment. Haha. Here I am, a 40 something year old woman, walking alone in Alaska and after waiting a short time, the ship would sail on with or without me. Lol. 

It seems like Safeway on a busy road might be a safer choice. 🤣 Besides, I can stock up on candy for the rest of the cruise. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, SwimCarrie said:

Hi,

On our last cruise to Alaska we mainly walked for miles and miles in every port and we loved seeing a lot of everyday parts of each port.  We actually did that exact walk to Safeway and there was no problem….then cut across the street up the hills and found a good trail, and cut back down from above closer to the ship.  Happily we didn’t run into any bears but I won’t pretend I wasn’t nervous about it. 😀. As a side note, we actually picked up a few really nice souvenirs in Safeway at non-tourist prices.

As another aside, the reason for our walking based trip was that we were geocaching in all the ports, so that guided us to a lot of locations.  We had already done a lot of excursions on previous trips.  On our upcoming trip we are doing a combo of excursions and exploring on foot.  I won’t be surprised if we find ourselves in Safeway again. 😀. I find seeing a town’s local grocery store just as interesting as a jewelry store.

• Like 5

If you take "Water St" up the hill and it will turn into 2nd Ave, it parallels the main "Tongass Ave" which is the most direct way to Safeway.  There are some sidewalks on this street, but its very low traffic and has terrific views - much better than Tongass Ave.  If you want even better views, find your way up to Schoenbar/3rd Ave which has sidewalks.  For either option, when you get to Washington St, take a left and head down the hill to safeway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bomabound said:

On our last cruise to Alaska we mainly walked for miles and miles in every port and we loved seeing a lot of everyday parts of each port.  We actually did that exact walk to Safeway and there was no problem….then cut across the street up the hills and found a good trail, and cut back down from above closer to the ship.  Happily we didn’t run into any bears but I won’t pretend I wasn’t nervous about it. 😀. As a side note, we actually picked up a few really nice souvenirs in Safeway at non-tourist prices.

As another aside, the reason for our walking based trip was that we were geocaching in all the ports, so that guided us to a lot of locations.  We had already done a lot of excursions on previous trips.  On our upcoming trip we are doing a combo of excursions and exploring on foot.  I won’t be surprised if we find ourselves in Safeway again. 😀. I find seeing a town’s local grocery store just as interesting as a jewelry store.

I don't enjoy shopping but I love walking adventures. Sometimes I'll find a local pool and swim (but it looks like their pool is currently closed for construction, hoping it's open by the time I get there). Not sure if the walk there is good but I'll figure that out later.

I've been to Ketchikan 3 times. We did the Lumberjack show twice, (one before kids and once with them), we swam at their local pool and I walked around town when I went solo. Whatever people think I'm missing, trust me, I'm not! 🤣 I actually am going to do a duck tour this time, as well, but it's only an hour and a half. 

There's so much more to see than Diamonds International and salmon bakes. I don't judge people who enjoy that, but I prefer to meet a local down at the pool and learn about the town through them. (Easier in Canada and Alaska than Mexico---all those years of Spanish in school didn't seem to stick). Lol. But even in Mexico, we met friends who love there part time and went for a long walk along the beach and up in the hills. I don't want to sail by El Arco... I want to swim around it! 🤣

To each their own! Hope everyone enjoys whatever they choose!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ketchikan is my favorite walking port..  the stairs and old homes are spectacular.  I go up creek street then up gentleman lane through the forest down the main road then up the stairs to the communities/homes.  Great workout!   Especially when it's sunny.

• Like 2

We are independent off the beaten track travelers too- but we do tend to go for scenic views, see nature, and find historical spots in our treks

We like to bike, walk, and rent cars on our travels

We will do excursions, as well, but tend to gravitate towards history and nature when booking

I also have no need for Diamonds International or shopping in tourist shops… now… give me a good artist co-op and I’ll be charmed in

😏

Have fun and make the memories you want to make

• Like 3

On 5/21/2023 at 11:31 PM, wolfie11 said:

Ketchikan is a safe town to walk in, albeit with its share of characters.  The local bears prefer Tatsuda's IPA grocery on the other side of town.  If you get short on time, the free downtown shuttle runs from Safeway back to the docks.

You seem like an expert.  When we went in 2007, we went to a shop off the beaten path that had a full, stuffed moose.  Do you know where that was and if it is still there? I’ve searched and searched and come up empty,

I am not @wolfie11 but do live in Alaska.  Tatsuda's IGA store was heavily damaged  from a rock slide in February 2020.  The damage was extensive and I believe they are permanently closed.

We have been to Ketchikan a number of times, with the most recent visits in 2022 (we were there twice).  The shop @CynCyn is describing is not "ringing any bells" for me.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Any idea what town this is in? Is the moose a real stuffed moose or a fake life size one?

It was Ketchikan and it was real.  Leaving today.  If I find it I will report back!

10 minutes ago, CynCyn said:

It was Ketchikan and it was real.  Leaving today.  If I find it I will report back!

Good luck!  I have to admit, I hate shopping and never go in any of the stores with the exception of my annual visit to Soho Coho on Creek Street to stock up on Ray Troll tee shirts.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 6:16 AM, wolfie11 said:

Good luck!  I have to admit, I hate shopping and never go in any of the stores with the exception of my annual visit to Soho Coho on Creek Street to stock up on Ray Troll tee shirts.

My Coho “catch” this year.  Reminded me of an old Lyle Lovett shirt I have somewhere.

IMG_0004.thumb.jpeg.5d7500161dca61757b679e04d369b0f0.jpeg

15 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

My Coho “catch” this year.  Reminded me of an old Lyle Lovett shirt I have somewhere.

IMG_0004.thumb.jpeg.5d7500161dca61757b679e04d369b0f0.jpeg

I have around 50 of them.  Nice profile pic.  Do you fly hot air balloons?