Question about changing seats on assigned flights

OnTheJourney

DW and I are doing a cruise in September and as part of the cruise price have been assigned economy air. The valuation on this, as per the invoice, is $699 pp, which is interesting given that the flights are much cheaper than that having just checked on the United site. So the question:  I noticed on MVJ that no upgrades are available; however, I've already gone on United and changed seats within the economy section. If I go ahead and bump up to Economy+ or even Business will that create any sort of issues?  I'm not big on doing air through a cruise line, preferring to always do my own - but I would think that if I'm willing to pay extra for a better location on the plane, it shouldn't be a problem. This automatically leads to another question:  IF I'd have to cancel the trip, under Viking's trip mate plan would I be reimbursed for the additional cost of the upgraded seats being that the total value would very likely still be under the $699 pp. ?  I'm thinking probably not since the flight "costs" were listed on the invoice but then deducted. I'm not worried about paying the difference, but just thought I'd ask for informational purposes. I think I had asked a Viking rep months ago already and was told the seats aren't upgraded so it'd be interesting to see what happens on the MVJ air page if I change to economy+  Any thoughts?  I figured I'd get some input here before I mess around further on the United page. I saw that the MVJ info did indeed change to reflect my new (economy) seats, but when I tried to change them solely on MVJ, it got all screwed up and said I chose seats that weren't available. Crazy. 

Now an unrelated question. DW and I are doing pre and post extensions for this cruise. On MVJ, there are shore excursions listed for both extensions. The excursions essentially match what's listed in the extension tour schedule, so I'm assuming I don't have to reserve those same excursions on MVJ (?) Or must I? I'm thinking those excursions are listed for perhaps someone who has independently added extra days but not necessarily purchased a Viking extension, and then those folks could opt in to the same excursions. I'm just presuming here. They're all listed as "included" but they have the usual "reserve" button. Thoughts on this? I'll probably do a chat with an agent to make sure. 

Thanks...

Edited by OnTheJourney

What Viking extension are you taking? I’ve never seen excursion reservations listed in MVJ for an extension. Typically everyone on the extension takes any included tours.

On the other hand, included excursions while on ship require a reservation because Viking needs a head count for transportation and tour guides. If you are seeing a reserve button for included tours on an extension it may be they require a head count to arrange logistics.

• Thanks 1

My experience is that if the airline site is willing to sell you the seat upgrade, you won't have any issues. I paid for Economy+ on a Viking Air arranged United flight before without any problems at all, other than I think I may have had to wait until Viking actually paid for the ticket, perhaps 45-60 days out.

I would be surprised it Tripmate reimbursed these upgrade costs for two reasons: 1 - Travel Insurance notoriously is reluctant to reimburse even costs that are very clearly covered, and 2 - because these were travel costs you arranged outside of Viking - but I've no direct experience trying to make a claim.

9 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

What Viking extension are you taking?

Mississippi river trip extensions - one in St. Paul and other in New Orleans. 

9 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

’ve never seen excursion reservations listed in MVJ for an extension. Typically everyone on the extension takes any included tours.

Exactly. My experience as well. I'll have to find out. Good point about them possibly want a confirmation regardless. 

55 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

I would be surprised it Tripmate reimbursed these upgrade costs for two reasons: 1 - Travel Insurance notoriously is reluctant to reimburse even costs that are very clearly covered, and 2 - because these were travel costs you arranged outside of Viking - but I've no direct experience trying to make a claim.

I agree...also because the economy air was free. I only got thinking about it because of the $699 value assigned to the flight package. A previous Viking trip I did offered upgraded flights (where, similar to this, the economy flights were included) and I recall a discussion with them as to the cost of the upgrade from the standpoint of my paying whatever the difference should be between the "cost" of the original economy compared to the upgrade cost. Not sure anymore how they handled it but I seem to recall not paying full cost - at least based on what the airline was charging. This is different though in that MVJ specifically mentions no upgrade avaiable. So I went ahead and did it anyway. The new E+ seats showed up right away on MVJ. Worth the extra few hundred $ to be in row 8 compared to 30. 

10 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

DW and I are doing a cruise in September and as part of the cruise price have been assigned economy air. The valuation on this, as per the invoice, is $699 pp, which is interesting given that the flights are much cheaper than that having just checked on the United site. So the question:  I noticed on MVJ that no upgrades are available; however, I've already gone on United and changed seats within the economy section. If I go ahead and bump up to Economy+ or even Business will that create any sort of issues?  I'm not big on doing air through a cruise line, preferring to always do my own - but I would think that if I'm willing to pay extra for a better location on the plane, it shouldn't be a problem. This automatically leads to another question:  IF I'd have to cancel the trip, under Viking's trip mate plan would I be reimbursed for the additional cost of the upgraded seats being that the total value would very likely still be under the $699 pp. ?  I'm thinking probably not since the flight "costs" were listed on the invoice but then deducted. I'm not worried about paying the difference, but just thought I'd ask for informational purposes. I think I had asked a Viking rep months ago already and was told the seats aren't upgraded so it'd be interesting to see what happens on the MVJ air page if I change to economy+  Any thoughts?  I figured I'd get some input here before I mess around further on the United page. I saw that the MVJ info did indeed change to reflect my new (economy) seats, but when I tried to change them solely on MVJ, it got all screwed up and said I chose seats that weren't available. Crazy. 

Now an unrelated question. DW and I are doing pre and post extensions for this cruise. On MVJ, there are shore excursions listed for both extensions. The excursions essentially match what's listed in the extension tour schedule, so I'm assuming I don't have to reserve those same excursions on MVJ (?) Or must I? I'm thinking those excursions are listed for perhaps someone who has independently added extra days but not necessarily purchased a Viking extension, and then those folks could opt in to the same excursions. I'm just presuming here. They're all listed as "included" but they have the usual "reserve" button. Thoughts on this? I'll probably do a chat with an agent to make sure. 

Thanks...

No problem changing on United as long as you are remaining in the economy cabin. It is unlikely you can move to the Business or First class. You should call Tripmatel since the policy is specific for your itinerary.

Edited by azdrydock
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, azdrydock said:

as long as you are remaining in the economy cabin.

Agreed. For only a 2-3 hour flight, really didn't feel like bumping up to B class. E+ worth it though I'd say if for no other reason than to not have to work our way through the entire plane all the way to the back. 

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Mississippi river trip extensions - one in St. Paul and other in New Orleans. 

Exactly. My experience as well. I'll have to find out. Good point about them possibly want a confirmation regardless. 

When we have done an extension on a Viking river cruise, the tours on the extension showed up and had to be reserved.  The tours on ocean extensions did not show up and did not have to be reserved.  Another river/ocean difference. 

• Thanks 1