Live Updates Radiance SB Alaska May 26, 2023

Sorry to disappoint, but we decided not to pay for WiFi - both because we forgot to book it more than 72 hours before boarding and because not having it helps us disconnect from work. 

We were able to get within two miles of the face of Hubbard for a brief time before weather forced us back out. 

As expected the outside sailing across the Gulf of Alaska is rough. We were sailing into 50+ mph headwinds.

Cruising into Gastineau Channel now for our Juneau stop. Weather is a comfortable 50° with light rain expected. Docking at AJ which is a bit disappointing. 

Food has largely avoided huge disappointments, but MDR hasn’t been fantastic, either. Fairly terrible service last night (wine ordered at beginning of meal didn’t come until halfway through entree). 

7EE7AD59-B2CF-42E5-9635-20D9A5376E44.jpeg

B3C60599-6BFB-478B-BDBA-065708BF8464.jpeg

CE489185-6CE8-4791-977D-54C068154ED2.jpeg

cruisecompass.pdf

21 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

It looks cold and snowy.  While beautiful I’d like to order up some warmer weather for mid July please.

Following as we leave in 7 1/2 weeks for our Alaska adventure!

It’s been surprisingly more comfortable than I’d feared. With a sweater and rain jacket I’ve been comfortable so far. 

Waterproof shoes and good wool socks (Darn Tough gets my money) are a must to stay comfortable. We bought some for my wife. Never assume a dry morning will stay that way. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cherful59 said:

We will be docking at the AJ dock as well.  Can anyone tell me how much further it is from the other ships that dock in town?

3/4 mile from main dock, they  may have free shuttles to get you to the main dock in town.

On 5/25/2023 at 12:24 PM, luv2cruise668 said:

curious as to who the captain is.  I am hoping it is Capt Marek and he will still be there when we go in August. He is the best.  

He boarded in LA earlier this month. He's on until Sept 8th

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jimbo said:

3/4 mile from main dock, they  may have free shuttles to get you to the main dock in town.

I highly recommend the shuttle bus.  It is a long walk.  We attempted it last year and thankfully a RCCL saw us walking and took pity on us and picked us up and drove us the rest of the way.  I wont make that mistake again this year.

2 hours ago, luv2cruise668 said:

I highly recommend the shuttle bus.  It is a long walk.  We attempted it last year and thankfully a RCCL saw us walking and took pity on us and picked us up and drove us the rest of the way.  I wont make that mistake again this year.

Thanks for the tip!  I have a tour which I am guessing will drop us back off by the ship.  Since I want to walk around town, I will want the shuttle.  Otherwise, I am thinking of cancelling the tour and taking the Blue or City bus to Mendenhall.  Anyway I go, I need to get closer into town.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RobinKS said:

If you can, would you gather a list of what the theme is in the MDR each night? I'm trying to pick a night for specialty dining on our cruise in July.

If you open the app, and click on the calendar I guess (it looks more like a battery to me) near the top center, scroll to the bottom and click on change ship/dates, scroll to the bottom and click on browse our ships, pick Radiance and pick a current date the is sailing with your itinerary (maybe a past one will work, I am not sure about that) and you can check the dining menus.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cherful59 said:

If you open the app, and click on the calendar I guess (it looks more like a battery to me) near the top center, scroll to the bottom and click on change ship/dates, scroll to the bottom and click on browse our ships, pick Radiance and pick a current date the is sailing with your itinerary (maybe a past one will work, I am not sure about that) and you can check the dining menus.

Thanks!

On 5/23/2023 at 3:23 PM, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Yes to internet report please!  I’m sure it won’t be great but at least serviceable would be nice.  I’ve heard reports it is worse in Alaska due to the landscape

We are doing Radiance SB also in the 6/9 sailing.  

Are you taking the train to Seward from Anchorage?  If so, how do you get from the Seward train station to the port?  I know it’s pretty close, but how close?  Not walking distance with bags? 

When is your boarding and did they honor your time?

Names/place of any outstanding bartenders?

Thank you!!

On the northbound May 19-26, 2023 Radiance trip the internet was working well with very few glitches. Download speeds of 3.78 mbps on the average. Worked at Hubbard glacier as well as between ports of call…much improved from pre-Starlink days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2023 at 9:08 AM, RobinKS said:

If you can, would you gather a list of what the theme is in the MDR each night? I'm trying to pick a night for specialty dining on our cruise in July.

Welcome Aboard

A Taste of France (formal)

A Taste of the USA

A Taste of Italy

Royal Night (formal)

A Taste of Asia

Bon Voyage

• Like 2