First cruise in 6 years

Due to various factors, ranging from illnesses to the pandemic, we have not been on a cruise since November of 2017.

As senior citizens, some things

Have changed.While we are mobil,we do use canes at times when walking.we are considering a cruise that stops at Puerto Plata and Labadee. While watching some videos,a thought occurred to me. It seems the distance at both ports,from the ship to where you have to go for excursions, is long,for those with some mobility

Issues.Other than being put in a wheelchair, I did not,at least on the videos,see any other aids.

Was I correct?

As the great Mick Jagger said years ago,

"What a drag it is getting old "

Thanks

• Like 1

I have been taking my scooter with me on the ship, so I have it when needed. I also can walk with a cane but not long distances. Most port terminals before you board the ship will have scooters for rent. The ships do not allow its wheelchairs to leave the ship; however, I have seen golf carts and small shuttles on the piers at most ports to transport those who cannot or prefer not to walk the long length of the pier.

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, margincall said:

Have changed. While we are mobile,we do use canes at times when walking we are considering a cruise that stops at Puerto Plata and Labadee.

DW has two bad knees (arthritis and an old knee surgery), and I have one bad one (chondromalacia and arthritis) and we both use canes to get around on board. We have done Labadee several times, and as long as we stick to the sidewalks throughout the complex we don't have any difficulty. Have also been to Puerto Plata a few times, and while the port area is well developed, we found the brick pavers that they used to be a bit of a challenge on our knees, so we usually don't venture too far there. The town itself is quite interesting, and we walked out to the town center once, but all of the excursions leave at that end of the complex (the farthest point from the pier) so we haven't done any there. Good place to buy coffee however.

2 hours ago, SilkySal said:

I have been taking my scooter with me on the ship, so I have it when needed. I also can walk with a cane but not long distances. Most port terminals before you board the ship will have scooters for rent. The ships do not allow its wheelchairs to leave the ship; however, I have seen golf carts and small shuttles on the piers at most ports to transport those who cannot or prefer not to walk the long length of the pier.

Thank you

• Like 1

The pier in Labadee is a long one.  However there are men waiting with wheelchairs to push you to the end.  At the end there are other wheelchairs including beach capable ones if you want to go to the beach.   There is a tram that goes around the island ( it's not an island ).  I'm sure you will have no trouble there. I have never been to the other port so I can't speak to that. I hope this helps.  Bon Voyage

• Like 1