Taking Grandkids on a Bahamas Cruise

jammin6097

I am thinking of taking my 2 grandkids ages 10 and 14 on a Carnival cruise ( 5 day) this summer out of Jacksonville Florida.   Talking to my travel agent, she said they do Not need a passport, but if something happens they would not be able to fly back into the US from Nassau.   The ship stops at Nassau and their private island.  Looking for input from other grandparents who have taken their grandkids on a cruise regarding any hassles with customs or the cruise line.  Do the kids need their original birth certificates?  Also a notarized letter from the parents giving us permission to take the kids?   Any info would be appreciated.

You can fly back from Nassau if an emergency or miss the boat but will cost you a lot of time and a lot of money to get an emergency passport.

The birth certificate has to be original as in not a copy and from a government issuing agency like your local office of Vital Records or whatever they call it in your town/city/village. It can't be from the Hospital. Raise seals have begun to disappear just the document can't be a copy. 

Under 16 only require a birth certificate, no id.

The cruise line may have different requirements then the US government, check with both.

Children (under age 16) of U.S. citizens arriving by land or sea from Canada or Mexico may present their original or a copy of their birth certificate, a Certificate of Naturalization, or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

All children, including infants, must have their own travel documents such as a passport or document from a Trusted Traveler Program to enter the U.S. If you travel or are going to travel with a child, consider taking the following documents:

• If the child is traveling with only one of their custodial parents, they must have a letter of consent, preferably in English and notarized, from the other parent or signed by both parents. The letter should say "I acknowledge that my son/daughter is traveling outside the country with [the name of the adult] with my permission."
  • If one parent has sole custody of the child, a copy of the custody document can take the place of the other parent's letter.
  • Parents who frequently cross the border by land with a minor must always carry a letter of permission from the other parent.

https://www.usa.gov/travel-documents-children#:~:text=If a minor is traveling,exit requirements for that country.

Edited by Brighton Line