a funny thing happened on my prima transatlantic...

UKstages

9 hours ago, firstimer2009 said:

And as another person asked, did you book another cruise?

yes, absolutely!

as i think i said in this thread or in my actual review of the prima (this thread is not the review... there is another thread in which i throw praise and brickbats at the prima)... as i said previously, i'm actually a fan of NCL. not so much the prima, nor this cruise experience, but definitely NCL. hey, sometimes you have to have tough love conversations.  i doubt i'll go on the prima again, but i might consider the viva and most definitely the third of the prima class ships.

i'm doing a B2B out of new your on the joy in just three days time. two different caribbean itineraries. i've sailed the joy before and think it's an excellent ship. 

On 6/26/2023 at 8:10 AM, insidecabin said:

I look at the bigger picture.

Operating income (loss)    

They need $30pppd just to pay the interest.

With 19 ships, NCL’s total capacity is about 55,000 pax.  At $30 per person per day, that comes to more than $1.5 million per day in interest.  Is it really that much?

5 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

With 19 ships, NCL’s total capacity is about 55,000 pax.  At $30 per person per day, that comes to more than $1.5 million per day in interest.  Is it really that much?

I took the interest and divided by the number of passenger days.

It's in the results

12 hours ago, UKstages said:

yes, absolutely!

as i think i said in this thread or in my actual review of the prima (this thread is not the review... there is another thread in which i throw praise and brickbats at the prima)... as i said previously, i'm actually a fan of NCL. not so much the prima, nor this cruise experience, but definitely NCL. hey, sometimes you have to have tough love conversations.  i doubt i'll go on the prima again, but i might consider the viva and most definitely the third of the prima class ships.

i'm doing a B2B out of new your on the joy in just three days time. two different caribbean itineraries. i've sailed the joy before and think it's an excellent ship. 

Yes I see that now.  If you have the time I hope that you can do a report on your next trip.  I thorougly enjoyed reading your thread.  It was like a mystery novel.   We are on an Escape Med cruise next year.  What are your thoughts on that ship?  Our cabin is above Cellars which I will be visiting often so I won't mind the winos below us.  I will be one of them!

6 hours ago, insidecabin said:

I took the interest and divided by the number of passenger days.

It's in the results

I haven’t pored over an NCL annual report in a couple of years, so I wasn’t aware of how big their interest obligations were.  So you’re saying that the annual interest is $0.5 billion per year?  That would seem to suggest that their debt is around $5 billion.  That’s about as much as their peak annual gross revenue prior to COVID.  That’s scary debt levels.

8 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

I haven’t pored over an NCL annual report in a couple of years, so I wasn’t aware of how big their interest obligations were.  So you’re saying that the annual interest is $0.5 billion per year?  That would seem to suggest that their debt is around $5 billion.  That’s about as much as their peak annual gross revenue prior to COVID.  That’s scary debt levels.

If you think $5billion is scary.

A quick Google suggest $13billion.

3 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

If you think $5billion is scary.

A quick Google suggest $13billion.

That is scary.  Prior to COVID, NCL took in about $5 billion per year and had expenses of about $4 billion.  They were shut down, with virtually no income, for about 18 months.  They should have been able to reduce their costs during that period, so they should have been able to get by with about an additional $5 to $6 billion.  Oh wait, I forgot that Frank Del Rio still got his salary and bonus.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

I did b2b on Sky over 20 days, the ship was 70% and 65% full, singles paid no premiums, last second prices dropped to $50/day per person inside cabins.

• 1 month later...

@UKstages

I read everything that you wrote and I think the only reason you got the sleeping room and could keep your other room was for 2 reasons 1) you contacted Miami and 2) you mentioned revenue and they looked it up. 

The fiasco with security when you finally could sleep in the sleeping room was unbelievable.

Actually, this whole situation would make for a comedy movie (not that it was funny to you missing all that sleep!)

When I heard the recording of the noise in that room - it was not just annoying but it was scary!

The most amazing thing to me was how calm you remained while trying to talk to people who should have immediately reconciled your problem.

You have such a talent for writing - I agree with the person that suggested you write a book---hmmm, maybe you are an author already.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, C cruise said:

I think the only reason you got the sleeping room and could keep your other room was for 2 reasons 1) you contacted Miami and 2) you mentioned revenue and they looked it up. 

well, NCL says that's actually how they generally handle this problem... by moving the guest to another room, or if no  comparable room exists in the same category, by offering a sleeping room. that's what they were supposed to do. that's what they do on every ship when they encounter something like this. and it's not like they haven't had a lot of experience on the prima with this sort of thing. they have complaints of this type week after week, nearly every cruise in which these rooms are occupied.

as far as service recovery in relation to revenue and lifetime value of a customer and all that...  it would be nice to think so, but in subsequent threads here on CC, others have mentioned that $500 a person is pretty much their standard form of compensation for any major snafu or major service interruption. other folks afflicted with noisy cabins got $500, as did folks who booked cabins with inoperable hot tubsme 

as for miami... difficult to say. i contacted corporate on a friday and i think i had made some progress on the ship all by myself by the time monday rolled around. but without a doubt "miami" lit a fire and they certainly opened up a three way feedback loop and held onboard personnel responsible.

thanks for your kind words about my writing. i am indeed writing something at the moment, but it's not about cruising!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/25/2023 at 9:23 AM, golden6911 said:

This makes me glad for my Bose Sleepbuds.  I have a loudly snoring spouse and these things are a game-changer. 

I have a snoring spouse as well, can you share what model you have and

Approximate price. We are going g to be on a 16 day TA, and i'm wondering how i'll sleep. 🤔 

2 hours ago, Bat girl said:

I have a snoring spouse as well, can you share what model you have and

Approximate price. We are going g to be on a 16 day TA, and i'm wondering how i'll sleep. 🤔 

Have him do a sleep study and get him a CPAP machine? If he suffers from sleep apnea, it makes the snoring go away.