Silver Dawn review

West Windsor girl

30 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I'm not sure TTS, that's why I didn't quote the post posting about the post in my post because all posts quoting posts that have been removed for posting questions referring to removed posts find their posts removed too.  

I shall look into that. Post-haste. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

though the original post about poor food is still there so couldn't be that the Faithful were outraged.

Probably good that I didn't see the post that was removed I postulate.

• Haha 3

Good Afternoon all - we have just disembarked from the 14 Day Round Britain Cruise and rather than start a new thread it seems appropriate to give our very Personal Observations here.

We have many hundreds of Days with Silversea and this is our first Cruise since Covid. We found The Silver Dawn to be an excellent Ship and thoroughly enjoyed the whole Cruise ( reasonable weather which was a bonus for such an Itinerary )

Whilst Food is a very Subjective Issue, we found Atlantide to be very good with quite sufficient Menu choices and excellent Service. The S.A.L.T was extremely popular and it was often a challenge to get a Table for 4 unless one dined early, or very late. I feel that The Kitchen are challenged by a rush of Guests at 7.30/8.00 which led to some unacceptable waiting between Courses - The answer is to make it a Reservation Restaurant which I feel will happen in time if The Maitre D gets his way. La Terrazza was as it has always been with very little change in the Menu for many Years but good Food & Service.

We had no experience of Kaiseki and I echo the thoughts of a previous Poster regarding The Grill. Apparently The Heaters have been inoperable since May 2nd and we were told they would be replaced in Southampton ??? - It made Dining uncomfortable and it may be a challenge in Norway ?

The general standard of the Ship is great but there were Issues with the Suite Showers which require urgent fixing - The Water pulsed fro Warm, to Cold and then to Boiling - this could be a serious issue and was reported - This was experienced on Deck 8 & 7.

Once again Entertainment is very subjective and we felt that, once again it was fairly mediocre, especially in The Production Shows which have not changed in Years and much is down to the standard of the Singers on board at any given time. Unfortunately for us the Group were extremely Poor with not a good Voice between them. One Plus Point was that a few Entertainers were brought on board such as a Scottish Themed Band & Dancers, together with an Australian Pianist - both well received.

We were not impressed by The Cruise Director ( Bruno ) who was almost invisible around The Ship other than for Trivia.

All in all we had a great time but feel that Silversea need to sharpen their game as there is much competition out there. The Staff were, as expected wonderful as usual and made our Cruise - Is this however sufficient ?

I say again this is a very Personal View and no doubt others will have a different perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Forr a sense of fairness I forgot to mention the La Dame Restaurant which we visited twice. The Room is larger than on Other Ships but did not have the sense of Drama that the Advertising suggested. It is lighter but suffers from a substantail Glare Issue when the Setting Sun is at the back of the Ship ( Often Diners sat near The Windows do not like the Blinds lowered. The Food on the first occasion was excellent but on the seond was nothing special ( and not good value for the Surcharge ). The Food in Atlantide & S.A.L.T was equally good.

One strange occurence was the Unavailability of Shredded Wheat for In Suite Breakfast after Day 1 ??? - surely a Luxury Line needs to gets its act together on such a common item ?

Onboard the Silver Dawn at the moment. Heaters are working again as per today. Enjoyed our first SS cruise so far, very surprised with the amount of champagne being thrown at us. Ship only has 460 guests. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We also  were on Mayflowers Southampton to Southampton Dawn cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. I did not realize that the heaters were broken, just assumed that they felt they were not needed at the times we ate there, but can understand that would be a serious problem when temps dipped below reasonable comfort levels.  I loved that they had those  retractable panels to block the wind on the sides. 

I thought the food was very good, the steaks were excellent ( after reading earlier negative reviews, I can only assume that the regional suppliers  quality differed). My mom enjoyed the lamb chops, I thought the  evening selections in the restaurants were sufficient, but would have to agree having more chicken options would have been preferred.I actually enjoy the selections on the room service menu.I really enjoyed Silver Note and the items I selected were delicious.

the service and the staff were wonderful . I can not speak to the entertainment since we never went to the shows, but the jazz duo in Silver Note were very good as well as the piano player in Dolce Vita. I agree with Mayflower that the service in both Atlantide and SALT were challenged when there was a large influx of guests. Overall, I thought restaurant service was good to very good. 

the ship was lovely, accommodations were comfortable and clean, and think I’m going to stick with the newer Muse class ships going forward. I agree with Mayflower, at certain times I noticed I noticed that the water temperatures in the shower were difficult to regulate, also our shower doors were  difficult to open easily. 

if anyone has questions, I’ll do my best to respond. 

Edited by bobolz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 6/2/2023 at 3:52 PM, Worldroute said:

Onboard the Silver Dawn at the moment. Heaters are working again as per today. Enjoyed our first SS cruise so far, very surprised with the amount of champagne being thrown at us. Ship only has 460 guests. 

Heater are working but I don’t find them very effective vs. the larger heaters on regent.  Even with them on it was too cold in the grill for dinner even with the area closed off with plastic curtains.

Edited by Lonedaddy