Chitzen Itza from Cozumel???

Jzx1103

Anyone here ever tried going to Chitzen Itza from Cozumel? We been wanting to visit for years but never tried because its really far from Cozumel and theres always the danger of not getting back to ship in time even during long stops at Cozumel. However, we just booked RCL Voyager of the Seas Nov 13th 2023 sailing which has a very unique itinerary of an overnight stop at Cozumel. 8am to 4pm (next day). This unique itinerary made me want to give it a try to go to Chitzen Itza from Cozumel. Was wondering if there are any tours from Cozumel or maybe ferry ourselves to Playa Del Carmen and catch a tour from there

1 hour ago, Jzx1103 said:

Anyone here ever tried going to Chitzen Itza from Cozumel? We been wanting to visit for years but never tried because its really far from Cozumel and theres always the danger of not getting back to ship in time even during long stops at Cozumel. However, we just booked RCL Voyager of the Seas Nov 13th 2023 sailing which has a very unique itinerary of an overnight stop at Cozumel. 8am to 4pm (next day). This unique itinerary made me want to give it a try to go to Chitzen Itza from Cozumel. Was wondering if there are any tours from Cozumel or maybe ferry ourselves to Playa Del Carmen and catch a tour from there

I can’t really offer advice on the excursion - (I would probably only do it while on a land vacation from the mainland), but the ship usually offers excursions if it is possible. There used to be a private flight you could  take from Cozumel but not sure if that is still available. There are various options from Playa including overnight stops at Chitzen Itza, but I am not sure of timings.

However,  the cruise schedule had me intrigued. I do see those times on one TA site I use but Royal Caribbean and another TA site list 6pm - 4pm so I would double check before i made plans. We have had those jours for an overnight when we have had to skip  Costa Maya due  to docking problems however I agree if it is scheduled in advance there is no reason why you couldn’t dock in Cozumel in the morning if there is room.

They usually offer the more inland ruins like Chitzen Itza and Uxmal from Progresso. (we got lucky one year and Belize and Costa Maya got cancelled after a hurricane and switched to Proigresoo and Key West. )

Afforded us an opportunity to go to Uxmal..(slightly closer to ports than Chitzen Itza, but similar distance)

We had a van with 10 passengers, while Chitzen Itza had 5-6 full size busses 

Everyone we talked to when we got back was jealous as they said they had a very Disney experience all day with just long lines and staying away from everything behind ropes, while we got to explore and walk through our ruins without the crowds. (I think there was maybe 50-60 people in different groups at our site, while Chitzen Itza had probably 250+ just from our ship that day.)

They were both quite a ride from Progresso, If I remember correctly 90+ minuites to Uxmal and over 2 hours to Chitzen Itza.

Playa Del Carmen would have to be at least 2 1/2 - 3 hours  to Chitzen Itza, plus the ferry ride over from Cozumel.
Not sure how long your ship is docked for, but two ferry rides and a long drive, is a recipe for pier running at the end of a super long day.

Best of luck to you if you attempt it.

Edited by bguppies

I would check to see if there is a ship excursion offered since your time in port is so long.  But as it's an overnighter stop, you can check out independent excursions.  IMO, 6-7 hours of travel plus wait times for an hour or two walking around in the heat to see the temples, but not be able to climb them is a waste of $$ and time.

26 minutes ago, Jzx1103 said:

After doing some research, it looks like a better option would be for us to rent a car at Playa Del Carmen and drive there ourselves. 

Have you been able to confirm port times?

Take care with time changes at that time especially with regards to ferry.

Do your research on liability and car rental.

1 minute ago, c-leg5 said:

Have you been able to confirm port times?

Take care with time changes at that time especially with regards to ferry.

Do your research on liability and car rental.

Yes I confirmed the port times

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jzx1103 said:

After doing some research, it looks like a better option would be for us to rent a car at Playa Del Carmen and drive there ourselves. 

Be doubly sure to get proper insurance and take pesos for tolls.