Arvia Pre-Booking Dining and Entertainment

bee-ess

19 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I still don't understand what you've been able to book on Arvia at midnight that wouldn't be available today?

There isn't actually a lot you can book at this stage that would sell out this quickly is there?

They don't have Norwegian Taster on Arvia like on Iona?

I'm honestly intrigued?

Bee-ess has already answered your question in post #4. Apparently none of the 8 bookings that they made at midnight last night would have still been available this morning. 

I am intrigued about 2 things. Firstly, I wonder if only a certain proportion of tables are released Pre-cruise? It seems odd that some say that everything is sold out yet others can book when on board. 

Secondly, if there is a capacity issue, with more people wanting to book speciality restaurants than the capacity allows, I wonder why P&O exacerbate this issue by offering a pre-booking discount (other than Peninsular discount)? I’m not complaining, as I hope to take advantage of it myself, but it seems an odd policy, given how focussed they are on saving the pennies elsewhere. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Bee-ess has already answered your question in post #4. Apparently none of the 8 bookings that they made at midnight last night would have still been available this morning. 

I am intrigued about 2 things. Firstly, I wonder if only a certain proportion of tables are released Pre-cruise? It seems odd that some say that everything is sold out yet others can book when on board. 

Secondly, if there is a capacity issue, with more people wanting to book speciality restaurants than the capacity allows, I wonder why P&O exacerbate this issue by offering a pre-booking discount (other than Peninsular discount)? I’m not complaining, as I hope to take advantage of it myself, but it seems an odd policy, given how focussed they are on saving the pennies elsewhere. 

It just says 8 bookings?

Like you (I think)  I'm not sure what they could be for that has to be booked at midnight?

I could understand if they had something like Norwegian taster on Arvia?

But I didn't think they did?

Is it something special at Sindhu?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

No seats on Arvia last two nights for any show before 1p.30. 40+ people waiting last night turned away.  Not a dining reservation to be had after 7.45 last night either. Mayhem as people wanted the show.

Limelight on two new ships and Britannia none if the others in the fleet.  

It's nigh impossible as word has got out about bookings on Arvia and to some extent Iona.

What's nigh on impossible?

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

It just says 8 bookings?

Like you (I think)  I'm not sure what they could be for that has to be booked at midnight?

Any restaurant booking, any speciality dining.  Been there got the tshirt.  Sorry but until you need to do it, you really shouldn't criticise.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I am intrigued about 2 things. Firstly, I wonder if only a certain proportion of tables are released Pre-cruise? It seems odd that some say that everything is sold out yet others can book when on board

Booking onboard for speciality was almost impossible. All speciality and Limelight gone before boarding.  Bee-ess very lucky to get them believe me. Entertainment is next ...

• Like 4

Just now, Megabear2 said:

Any restaurant booking, any speciality dining.  Been there got the tshirt.  Sorry but until you need to do it, you really shouldn't criticise

So you are honestly telling me if I want to book any speciality restaurant on Arvia I have to book them at midnight the day they are released?

Yet on Arvia in the Caribbean I didn't remotely have to do that and booked everything I wanted- either a few days before or on the ship

Limelight (either few days before or on the ship)

Epicurean twice (once on the ship)

Sindhu (on the ship)

Beach House (on the ship)

Olive Grove (on the ship)

Mizhuana (on the ship)

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Although having just looked there are more time slots available nownow strangely enough - there were only a small amount of later slot times last night for Epicurean, Sindhu, Beach House and Green and Co. Now there are slots at 15 min intervals. I think what happened was that there were a lot of people chasing a few slots.. A big factor also was the inability of the IT to handle the demand, hence loads of buffering. As I said I have learned from this for next time, I chose to do that but will not next time.

We could have easily have got the MDR and Olive grove for 6PM but we don't eat early.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It just says 8 bookings?

I could understand if they had something like Norwegian taster on Arvia?

But I didn't think they did?

Is it something special at Sindhu?

We have decided to only do one dinner in the MDR on our 7 night fjord cruise. On the other 6 nights I am intending to book speciality restaurants. I know what I want to book on each night and at what times. I’m trying to fit around times when we want to be on our balcony (during scenic fjord transits) and show times. Therefore, if I can’t get the restaurant bookings at the times I want it will be frustrating. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Booking onboard for speciality was almost impossible. All speciality and Limelight gone before boarding.  Bee-ess very lucky to get them believe me. Entertainment is next ...

Never had any problem booking the busiest timeslot shows a couple of days before max

Certainly not midnight a week before ?

It's just total scaremongering MB?

Leave it til nearer the time and clearly you can't be bothered about seeing it anyway?

6 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Never had any problem booking the busiest timeslot shows a couple of days before max

Certainly not midnight a week before ?

It's just total scaremongering MB?

Leave it til nearer the time and clearly you can't be bothered about seeing it anyway?

Your choice. I'm sorry but on these full up cruises if you want the 8.30 or that time there is literally no availability onboard.  I'm not lying, and I'm a little tired of repeating myself. There is literally no availability, if you don't believe me, I can't  change it. You go to early shows I cant comment on those but I am not making it up. The middle show is completely full and dining is full from early people until 8.15 or so.  I've no reason to make it up, I wish it was different.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

Although having just looked there are more time slots available nownow strangely enough - there were only a small amount of later slot times last night for Epicurean, Sindhu, Beach House and Green and Co. Now there are slots at 15 min intervals. I think what happened was that there were a lot of people chasing a few slots.. A big factor also was the inability of the IT to handle the demand, hence loads of buffering. As I said I have learned from this for next time, I chose to do that but will not next time.

We could have easily have got the MDR and Olive grove for 6PM but we don't eat early.

I'm glad you have got everything you needed. I respect you being so organised. 

I just repeat what I said in the opening reply I'm sure there is absolutely no need for you to do that at midnight and you've probably caused yourself way more stress than you need 

In my honest opinion

Now the other thing is - in general I see on this forum people not liking apps and getting stressed by them and how hard it is to book speciality restaurants etc etc etc

And saying it doesn't happen on the smaller ships and if they have to keep doing this they won't go on the big ships!

Fair enough. But the little ships don't have the array of specialty restaurants to start with??

Lol

You don't even get the chance to NOT get the booking you want in a speciality restaurant on the smaller ships as those restaurants aren't there to even attempt to book ??

At least you have the chance on bigger ships?

Hope that makes sense?

27 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Well I consider it similar to people who don't need to queue for accessible seats at the theatre turning up before the doors even open and over 30 minutes before the show starts

Until I know what the OP has booked that has now sold out I obviously can't comment much more other than I can't imagine what it is?

Do they have Limelight Club and 710 club on the smaller ships now?

I know they have Epicurean on them but I seem to think they are smaller?

If everyone else turns up early and you rock up at 8.30, without a booking, then you risk getting turned away.

if you don’t join the midnight rush for bookings when the bookings go live, then you risk getting nothing.

This behaviour has evolved, it is what it is. 

the OP has already explained that everything she booked was not available the next morning. If she’d thought, oh, there’s no need to rush, she’d have missed out. 

Limelight Club is on Britannia, Iona and Arvia.

710 is on Iona and Arvia.

Apart from Britannia Iona and Arvia, I believe Epicurian is also on Ventura and Azura.

in the before times, it was very simple to book Epicurian and Sindhu online before the cruise, without all the angst that has developed now. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Your choice. I'm sorry but on these full up cruises if you want the 8.30 or that time there is literally no availability onboard.  I'm not lying, and I'm a little tired of repeating myself. There is literally no availability, if you don't believe me, I can't  change it. You go to early shows I cant comment on those but I am not making it up. The middle show is completely full and dining is full from early people until 8.15 or so.  I've no reason to make it up, I wish it was different.

I also have no reason to make it up either, the situation was as I have described.

Back to my comment in Post 1 - if this is what is required to book up restaurants I don't really want it, to be honest I would rather have fixed MDR Dining and 1 or 2 Specialities. We have always booked up specialities easily in the past. 

• Like 5

No ive always gone 8.30pm shows (the busiest shows on Arvia). I've only done one early show ever and that was the last one on Iona?

If you wait til day before then you might have a problem getting the 8.30pm show

So just book 2 days before or book them all a day or two before you get on the ship if you want to be safe

And if not don't complain if you don't get it

Total scaremongering is suggesting you need to be booking theatre shows a week before at any time

It's just more drama that doesn't actually exist

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

the OP has already explained that everything she booked was not available the next morning. If she’d thought, oh, there’s no need to rush, she’d have missed out. 

I'm a he !! - Brian.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We believe you MB,  but it's only the app that says it's full, mainly because the algorithm doesn't seem to consider there will be lots of no shows, especially for the free entertainment and the no charge restaurants like Olive grove and American Diner.  We found on our Feb Iona cruise that the availability for the 8:30 shows kept popping up later in the cruise, as did those the Olive Grove.

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

No ive always gone 8.30pm shows (the busiest shows on Arvia). I've only done one early show ever and that was the last one on Iona?

If you wait til day before then you might have a problem getting the 8.30pm show

So just book 2 days before or book them all a day or two before you get on the ship if you want to be safe

Total scaremongering is suggesting you need to be booking theatre shows a week before at any time

NO! I'm sorry but from day 1 absolutely no 8.30 show available  anywhere on Arvia. From dayv1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bee-ess said:

I also have no reason to make it up either, the situation was as I have described.

Back to my comment in Post 1 - if this is what is required to book up restaurants I don't really want it, to be honest I would rather have fixed MDR Dining and 1 or 2 Specialities. We have always booked up specialities easily in the past. 

I agree don't even book them then ?

Unless I've misunderstood you have now confirmed what I said bee-ess?

You didn't have to stay up til midnight to do all that. And everything you wanted last night you thought was sold out last night is  available now

Exactly what I expected based on my experiences of Arvia and Iona?

You've got stressed when there was no need?

You've jumped on a bandwagon as others have said that you didn't need to?

4 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

Did you used to do it at midnight on the older ships?

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

We believe you MB,  but it's only the app that says it's full, mainly because the algorithm doesn't seem to consider there will be lots of no shows, especially for the free entertainment and the no charge restaurants like Olive grove and American Diner.  We found on our Feb Iona cruise that the availability for the 8:30 shows kept popping up later in the cruise, as did those the Olive Grove.

Thank you.  However I can assure you I tried to change on several occasions 

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

You don't think that the situation may have changed since you were on. Arvia when you breezed through everything. Megabear has been on there last 2 weeks and I tend to trust her comments.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I agree don't even book them then ?

Unless I've misunderstood you have now confirmed what I said bee-ess?

You didn't have to stay up til midnight to do all that. And everything you wanted last night you thought was sold out last night is  available now

Exactly what I expected based on my experiences of Arvia and Iona?

You've got stressed when there was no need?

You've jumped on a bandwagon as others have said that you didn't need to?

I don't need to justify my decisions to you.

Are you saying that you knew that more slots are added the next day.

I wish I was that clever.

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Day one of the cruise?

Or day one of being able to book online?

(I know what the answer will be already)

On board day 1.  Don't judge me. Nothing at all booking online for 14 days, hence the queues every night you told me didn't exist.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bee-ess said:

You don't think that the situation may have changed since you were on. Arvia when you breezed through everything. Megabear has been on there last 2 weeks and I tend to trust her comments.

I'm OCD about getting  to the bottom of stuff

I absolutely guarantee to you that you don't have to be up at midnight next week to book theatre slots you want when they get released

You can take your time for 4 or 5 days when they get released and only if something really matters to you book it early on

If you waited til the morning of the cruise you would still be fine

Theatres only start to show full up for the busier slots once everyone has boarded 

Trust me. And MB will confirm this

There is no urgency next week for midnight theatre bookings. Have an early night!!