Arvia Pre-Booking Dining and Entertainment

bee-ess

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

, I wonder why P&O exacerbate this issue by offering a pre-booking discount (other than Peninsular discount)?

I did not have any pre booking discount, just my Peninsular one.  I booked 2 Epicurean, 2 Limelight, one Beach House and 2 Green & Co.  If there is another one I was unaware of it.

Just now, Windsurfboy said:

Second question  , it says Butler can help you by booking restaurants for you

Does this mean they can do it if you dont want to use app. 

Or does it mean Butlers have access to reserved slots

I met to lovely guys who had a full suite - they were in the complaint room with me.  Their argument centred on they couldn't get any bookings for select restaurants via their butler or any other way. It was day two. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Well I will just add that the opening poster themselves who claimed that all 8 bookings were now sold out when questioned

Has now confirmed that's not  the case

So should the thread be closed or deleted?

As it was false alarm?

That's a bit extreme ICF, and the false alarm jibe is a bit of a slur.

This whole debacle has been created by P&O because they instigated the app in the first place, whether this was to facilitate an improvement for passengers, or more likely something they hoped would reduce pressure on MDR staff and enable them to reduce staffing, we shall never know. 

However it now exists and passengers will learn to live with it, but it does appear that this will continue to mean that some passengers will obtain bookings for all they want, whilst others will be disappointed that they are unable to book everything, or maybe even anything, they want. I doubt this is what P&O intended, but is just another example of the unintended consequences of hurried, and badly specified IT.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

This whole debacle has been created by P&O because they instigated the app in the first place, whether this was to facilitate an improvement for passengers, or more likely something they hoped would reduce pressure on MDR staff and enable them to reduce staffing, we shall never know. 

However it now exists and passengers will learn to live with it, but it does appear that this will continue to mean that some passengers will obtain bookings for all they want, whilst others will be disappointed that they are unable to book everything, or maybe even anything, they want. I doubt this is what P&O intended, but is just another example of the unintended consequences of hurried, and badly specified IT.

How did people book Epicurean and Sindhu before the app?

Do they just not exist on smaller ships at all?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

15 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Keeping out of arguement. 

What is process for booking online.

Say you want a few Epicurean nights.

Do you have to - book night 1, slot A and pay for it , then night 2 slot B and pay for it, then night 3  slot C and pay for it. 

Or can you book all the nights and slots you want and pay at end.

You can do either; book one and pay for it, or put them all in your basket and pay at the end.

I prefer to do the former. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Are there any large and serious restaurants in the world that DO NOT manage restaurant bookings online nowadays??

With a booking app of some kind?

Anywhere?

Are you suggesting P and O should be managing bookings on ships with over 6,000 passengers at times without using an online booking app

In this day and age John?

That is inconceivable surely?

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Not wishing to be a scaremonger...but folk should remember to book their seats on the plane the first minute they can....or else.🤔

Well actually  ... remember the thread about choosing seats on Caribbean flights when they opened so folk could sit with their loved ones?

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Well actually  ... remember the thread about choosing seats on Caribbean flights when they opened so folk could sit with their loved ones?

I forgot to book my seats to Barbados. And when I tried was too late. 

So I was really worried in February we would be split up. And biggest problem was the flight was our planned time to sort vat together. 

Deliberately got to Birmingham 3.5hrs early ish only to find 100 people at least ahead of us in the queue

Still got seats together. Thank God. 

Won't leave it that late again though!!

I was worried

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

You had the opportunity to book in My P&O. When this became unavailable during covid restrictions you booked onboard at reception or direct with the restaurant.  They were busy but not so fought over as now when many dine in them exclusively as they don't use the MDR options. They were treats.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

There isn’t 5500 passengers on the smaller ships.

As I see it,,and from experience of trying to book dinners on Iona in Feb.

If you want to book the eatery of your choice,on the day you want to,at the time you want book when the booking slots open.

No different to why lots of people book cruises years in advance to get the cabins they want.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

You had the opportunity to book in My P&O. When this became unavailable during covid restrictions you booked onboard at reception or direct with the restaurant.  They were busy but not so fought overcast now when many dine in them exclusively as they don't use the MDR options. They were treats.

Now I think about it I definitely remember cruising Caribbean 14 nights on Azura and not being able to get a single booking  in Epicurean or whatever the most expensive restaurant was on board that ship in the entire 2 weeks

Honestly can't remember how we booked things back then though ?

It would be 8 years ago ish

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I forgot to book my seats to Barbados. And when I tried was too late. 

So I was really worried in February we would be split up. And biggest problem was the flight was our planned time to sort vat together. 

Deliberately got to Birmingham 3.5hrs early ish only to find 100 people at least ahead of us in the queue

Still got seats together. Thank God. 

Won't leave it that late again though!!

I was worried

Yes, I fly premium, there are limited two seats. Much fought over. The website crashes when they open at midnight. Was 3.00am I got mine last year- as you've probably guessed I don't sleep a lot hence it being very precious.  I also book my dining and entertainment at midnight along with great many others. You may think it's odd but for some of others it removes worry.  To some of us if we are paying £405pp for premium economy plus £50 odd per person to choose a seat we want to sit together not one in front of each other.  Full flights at that time of year too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

There isn’t 5500 passengers on the smaller ships.

As I see it,,and from experience of trying to book dinners on Iona in Feb.

If you want to book the eatery of your choice,on the day you want to,at the time you want book when the booking slots open.

No different to why lots of people book cruises years in advance to get the cabins they want.

But on the smaller ships (assuming you class Britannia and Azura as smaller ships) I know for sure from sailing on them both those restaurants (or equivalent) get fully booked from pretty much day one of the cruise?

I can remember being more disappointed on one of those ships not getting the  Sindhu booking as I had heard how great it  was back then. 

At least they have definitely been full all holiday on smaller ships  when  I've been on them?

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

But on the smaller ships (assuming you class Britannia and Azure as smaller ships) I know for sure from sailing on them both those restaurants get fully booked from pretty much day one of the cruise?

At least they have  when  I've been on them?

Azura was easy to book through the app on the day they must of had cancellations just the once we were put on a wait list and good job we checked the app and we had been allocated a time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

But on the smaller ships (assuming you class Britannia and Azure as smaller ships) I know for sure from sailing on them both those restaurants get fully booked from pretty much day one of the cruise?

At least they have  when  I've been on them?

Yes they do. Hence get there early if you can.  No different to what's happening with Arvia and the midnight booking.  The system isn't fair, never has been and it's one of the reasons I say one booking per week for certain events would be fair to give everyone a go.  New cruisers on Arvia past two weeks never gotca look in at speciality restaurants. However I'm the minority when I feel guilty!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Second question  , it says Butler can help you by booking restaurants for you

Does this mean they can do it if you dont want to use app. 

Or does it mean Butlers have access to reserved slots

Butlers don’t have special access, so by the time you meet them your preferred restaurant may be sold out. On one occasion we mentioned to our Butler that we couldn’t get in to one restaurant or another and by luck the manager was his mate, so he had a word and got us in. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I did not have any pre booking discount, just my Peninsular one.  I booked 2 Epicurean, 2 Limelight, one Beach House and 2 Green & Co.  If there is another one I was unaware of it.

I have to say that I don’t recall ever getting any pre-booking discount (beyond loyalty discount) but that was pre Covid when things were more straightforward 😂 However, I am certain that several posters have referred to the pre-cruise speciality restaurant bookings having a discount versus the price that you pay on board and loyalty discount is given on top of that. In fact, one or two posters have shown the maths showing what they ended up paying. Can anyone clarify?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I have to say that I don’t recall ever getting any pre-booking discount (beyond loyalty discount) but that was pre Covid when things were more straightforward 😂 However, I am certain that several posters have referred to the pre-cruise speciality restaurant bookings having a discount versus the price that you pay on board and loyalty discount is given on top of that. In fact, one or two posters have shown the maths showing what they ended up paying. Can anyone clarify?

I recall mention of a first night discount some time recently.  I've just checked me bill, straightforward cost minus my Peninsular discount. Green & Co I paid £10 deposit on bookiny towards my choices. I didn't use Sindhu.

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

A critical post of Arvia that is correct and valid deserves to be voiced and is valuable opinion and I don't have issues. I may disagree of course.

A mistaken or misleading  post should be questioned and corrected. 

If I get something wrong or mislead anyone on here I expect to be challenged and corrected. 

In this case I believe I have corrected something that was potentially misleading to others yet to cruise?

If you have read through the thread?

Speciality restaurants and theatres don't sell out on the big ships at midnight immediately they are available to book

Simple as that

Whilst all of us on here are entitled to question the opinions of others, we do not have the right to correct them. People report their experiences and we should take that as an honest reporting of their findings, whether that matches our experiences or not.

Aurora has only Sindhu and the Glass House. On our recent cruise (only about 70 people short of being full), there was plenty of availability and no need to book. In fact, you couldn't book the Glass House, only turn up when you wanted to dine, but we never saw anyone being turned away. Sindhu could be booked on the day. Possibly due to the almost 2-1 staffing levels, or the fact that the app was superfluous to the point that no one used it, I don't know.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Azura was easy to book through the app on the day they must of had cancellations just the once we were put on a wait list and good job we checked the app and we had been allocated a time.

I had 14 nights on azura in the Caribbean 8 years ago us. Definitely couldn't book Epicurean for the entire 14 nights from the start - let alone using  the app on the day. I think we got Sindhu once. 

I seem to think Epicurean at least was somewhat smaller on Azura and Britannia than on Iona and Arvia?

7 minutes ago, Happy afloat said:

Whilst all of us on here are entitled to question the opinions of others, we do not have the right to correct them. People report their experiences and we should take that as an honest reporting of their findings, whether that matches our experiences or not.

The poster himself went and checked after I questioned him and then corrected it?

He said the things he couldn't book at midnight were now showing as available to book next day

7 minutes ago, Happy afloat said:

Aurora has only Sindhu and the Glass House. On our recent cruise (only about 70 people short of being full), there was plenty of availability and no need to book. In fact, you couldn't book the Glass House, only turn up when you wanted to dine, but we never saw anyone being turned away. Sindhu could be booked on the day. Possibly due to the almost 2-1 staffing levels, or the fact that the app was superfluous to the point that no one used it, I don't know.

I agree with your sentiments. Just because someone has a different experience doesn’t mean that they are wrong. Re Aurora, you forgot the Beach House. Like you, on all our cruises on Aurora we have never had a problem getting in to any of the speciality restaurants and none was bookable pre cruise. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The poster himself went and checked after I questioned him and then corrected it?

If it is my.post you are incorrect - please not post anymore inaccuracies about my posts

I booked my slots after midnight

I checked when I got up this morning and they were not available

This afternoon more timeslots opened up

You make it seem as though I corrected something on your say so ?

Edited by bee-ess
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I had 14 nights on azura in the Caribbean 8 years ago us. Definitely couldn't book Epicurean for the entire 14 nights from the start - let alone using  the app on the day. I think we got Sindhu once. 

I seem to think Epicurean at least was somewhat smaller on Azura and Britannia than on Iona and Arvia?

Never done the Epicurean or Sindhu back then I just remember turning up the Glass House or Beach house and being allocated a table never was turned away. 

• Like 1