Arvia Pre-Booking Dining and Entertainment

bee-ess

We are on Arvia on June 11th and today is the day our Dining and Entertainment became available.

We logged on at Midnight last night to book our Dining and it was very frantic with lots of buffering and bookings being cancelled before we could pay for them, literally before we could get into the basket to checkout, even though we were doing this process one booking at a time and losing half of them seconds later.

We got more or less what we wanted in the end but it took over an hour to book 8 slots and have made sure we have proof of the bookings for when we lose them as many have done on cruise that has just ended..

We are not early diners so have not booked MDR's or Olive Grove as they only had slots up to 6:30 available.

NO sign of any Entertainment to book at the moment., although there was a message on the page tp say available on 27th May !! which has now been removed but nothing there to book.

I could tell by our first and last order numbers that there were many people on there at midnight trying to do the same thing - but if this is future of cruising on these new large ships I'm not sure that it is for us. Holidays should be relaxing not stressful (as this was last night). It is a bit of a shame as we really like Britannia which does not have this hassle, but the 'fear of missing out' is causing this panic to prebook on an IT system that cannot cope with the demand. I cannot see much being left to book when we get on the ship in 2 weeks.

We will go with an open mind but have to say we are not impressed with the panic to prebook stuff like this.

Edited by bee-ess
spelling
  • Like 8

You've chosen to go on and do that at midnight

You didnt have to

I'm sure everything you wanted that was available last night to book you were able to get?

I'm sure it would have been available to book today and tomorrow as well?

You are just one of the ultra extra organised ones 

Good for you. But like I say you chose to do that?

Nobody forced you to and it really isn't necessary IMO

99 per cent of guests aren't panicking like you?

Most won't attempt to book anything until they are on the ship or nearer to the  cruise

I honestly feel you've created your own panic a little bit. With all due respect

What exactly did you book at midnight for Arvia that you don't think would be available today or later this week for example?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

You didnt have to

I'm sure everything you wanted that was available last night to book you were able to get?

Most won't attempt to book anything until they are on the ship or nearer to the  cruise

I honestly feel you've created your own panic a little bit. With all due respect

What exactly did you book at midnight for Arvia that you don't think would be available today or later this week for example?

Nothing we booked last night was available this morning

I am not panicking or exaggerating. Sometimes we ordered and paid OK, Most times the slot was taken before we could pay and we chose a different slot.

The IT cannot cope with the many people trying to book at the same time, loads of buffering and then messages to say that the slot has already been taken before we could pay.

Maybe the situation has changed since your last trip.

I am no stranger to IT with 45 years experience or cruising with 25 years experience, so youy are not talking to a newbie in either.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

I am not panicking or exaggerating. Sometimes we ordered and paid OK, Most times the slot was taken before we could pay and we chose a different slot.

The IT cannot cope with the many people trying to book at the same time, loads of buffering and then messages to say that the slot has already been taken before we could pay.

I am no stranger to IT with 45 years experience or cruising with 25 years experience, so youy are not talking to a newbie in either.

I am so glad that I have no desire to book chargeable speciality restaurants on specific days at certain times. If I really want to book one I will pop into the restaurant once on board and check with a human as to what times and days are available, and then book it. Will this work, well it has done on our last 3 cruises, even though "The Computer said No".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

We did get what we wanted thanks

Glad you got what you wanted booked, but oh dear, this is not what a relaxing cruise should be like and it means those who are less tech savvy or not on this forum will miss out. That is so not right…... 
Makes me even more sure that I will stick to the smaller ships.

But, have a wonderful cruise and let us know how it all goes.

x

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I am so glad that I have no desire to book chargeable speciality restaurants on specific days at certain times. If I really want to book one I will pop into the restaurant once on board and check with a human as to what times and days are available, and then book it. Will this work, well it has done on our last 3 cruises, even though "The Computer said No".

It may well be, I hope it is John !

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

And our experience on Arvia in mid-April suggests that you will be fine doing that.  The only food / entertainment we booked in advance was the Limelight Club.    We did not eat in the MDR throughout the whole cruise, but used pay and non-pay alternatives every night.  We booked one Epicurean and one Sindhu date on the App in the terminal before boarding, but did everything else on board after boarding, either on the App or by walking up.  We could not get a second Epicurean booking, but other than that we ate where we wanted and when we wanted throughout the 2-weeks with no problems at all.  

Personally, I think the rush to pre-book as soon as the window opens is unnecessary and a result of FOMO, other than perhaps for the Limelight and a couple of other venues.  I can't believe much has changed since mid-Apr (when the ship reportedly sailed 'full', although I never heard an actual number of pax) but I sense that taking a relaxed approach (including, as you suggest, talking to real staff on board at the venues!) will produce good results for most people, so long as they are prepared to be a little bit flexible about when and where they eat.   It also seems from posts like those of the OP that it will result in considerable less pre-holiday stress 🙂

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, lincslady said:

So you got exactly what you wanted even leaving it a lot later, presumably?

I was too busy at work and life in general to pre-book anything

Only checked 48 hrs before  

At which stage I booked Epicurean (could have booked it more than once) and mistakenly booked Limelight for Saturday after we would have disembarked. Other Limelight were full 48 hrs before. 

Booked a beach house I subsequently cancelled

Also booked some headliner shows then which continued to be available during the cruise. 

As last boarders of the ship I was was also able to book 4 x 710 club bookings at 4.30pm ish on the Saturday we boarded

If I had been organised then early booking of the Norwegian Taster menu in epicurean would have been good. But as I said that's my fault

Never even considered booking things at midnight etc

45 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

By not booking early we missed out on the Limelight. We didn't get to experience the delights of Eric and Ern, or the bucks fizz lady.🤣

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

You didnt have to

How do you know how all the other passengers feel? 

There are postings ‘elsewhere’ confirming Bee-ess’s experiences last night. 

the fact that the system was buffering so badly suggests that more than 1% of passengers felt the need to pile in to get their booking done.

A system seems to have evolved where people feel compelled to get their bookings in the moment that the system goes live. That is not one person ‘panicking’ - that has been the evolution. 

• Like 10

Guest ccpm
3 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

And our experience on Arvia in mid-April suggests that you will be fine doing that.  The only food / entertainment we booked in advance was the Limelight Club.    We did not eat in the MDR throughout the whole cruise, but used pay and non-pay alternatives every night.  We booked one Epicurean and one Sindhu date on the App in the terminal before boarding, but did everything else on board after boarding, either on the App or by walking up.  We could not get a second Epicurean booking, but other than that we ate where we wanted and when we wanted throughout the 2-weeks with no problems at all.  

Personally, I think the rush to pre-book as soon as the window opens is unnecessary and a result of FOMO, other than perhaps for the Limelight and a couple of other venues.  I can't believe much has changed since mid-Apr (when the ship reportedly sailed 'full', although I never heard an actual number of pax) but I sense that taking a relaxed approach (including, as you suggest, talking to real staff on board at the venues!) will produce good results for most people, so long as they are prepared to be a little bit flexible about when and where they eat.   It also seems from posts like those of the OP that it will result in considerable less pre-holiday stress 🙂

For me this is definitely not the reason. I use Epicurean every night and I want to benefit from the pre-sailing discount which is well worth having reducing the cost from £28/30pp to £21.40ish pp when you add in your peninsular discount too.

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Impossible on Arvia from my experience.  Book before or no chance.  It's a total race.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bee-ess said:

I still don't understand what you've been able to book on Arvia at midnight that wouldn't be available today?

There isn't actually a lot you can book at this stage that would sell out this quickly is there?

They don't have Norwegian Taster on Arvia like on Iona?

I'm honestly intrigued?

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

For me this is definitely not the reason. I use Epicurean every night and I want to benefit from the pre-sailing discount which is well worth having reducing the cost from £28/30pp to £21.40ish pp when you add in your peninsular discount too.

But you don't have to book Epicurean at midnight when it's released to get the discount do you?

If you don't book at midnight your chances of getting in are slim to none.  It was ludicrous for my cruise and continues to be so.  Could not believe it to be honest but it is what it is.  Very little available on boarding, so people have to try at ridiculous hours.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I still don't understand what you've been able to book on Arvia at midnight that wouldn't be available today?

There isn't actually a lot you can book at this stage that would sell out this quickly is there?

They don't have Norwegian Taster on Arvia like on Iona?

I'm honestly intrigued?

If you look on the face cloth you will see lots of complaints about the problems people had last night - it was not lack of slots as much as not being able to book them, loads of buffering and a race to actually get them booked and paid for..

Edited by bee-ess
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

How do you know how all the other passengers feel? 

There are postings ‘elsewhere’ confirming Bee-ess’s experiences last night. 

the fact that the system was buffering so badly suggests that more than 1% of passengers felt the need to pile in to get their booking done.

A system seems to have evolved where people feel compelled to get their bookings in the moment that the system goes live. That is not one person ‘panicking’ - that has been the evolution. 

Well I consider it similar to people who don't need to queue for accessible seats at the theatre turning up before the doors even open and over 30 minutes before the show starts

Until I know what the OP has booked that has now sold out I obviously can't comment much more other than I can't imagine what it is?

Do they have Limelight Club and 710 club on the smaller ships now?

I know they have Epicurean on them but I seem to think they are smaller?

3 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

If you look on the face cloth you will see lots of complaints about the problems people had last night

What did you guys all book at midnight together that's now sold out though?

I can't figure out what I'm missing?

If there's been drama about everybody trying to book something at midnight together for Arvia I'm just wondering what exactly that was you were all trying to book together?

Is there a special event meal with the captain or something?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

What did you guys all book at midnight together that's now sold out though?

I can't figure out what I'm missing?

If there's been drama about everybody trying to book something at midnight together for Arvia I'm just wondering what exactly that was you were all trying to book together?

I have told you the experience I and others had, I booked at Midnight as I was advised to do this as a friend had problems 2 cruises ago. It was a nightmare and I won't do it again as I have learned my lesson. I have nothing else to add.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Well I consider it similar to people who don't need to queue for accessible seats at the theatre turning up before the doors even open and over 30 minutes before the show starts

Until I know what the OP has booked that has now sold out I obviously can't comment much more other than I can't imagine what it is?

Do they have Limelight Club and 710 club on the smaller ships now?

I know they have Epicurean on them but I seem to think they are smaller?

No seats on Arvia last two nights for any show before 1p.30. 40+ people waiting last night turned away.  Not a dining reservation to be had after 7.45 last night either. Mayhem as people wanted the show.

Limelight on two new ships and Britannia none if the others in the fleet.  

It's nigh impossible as word has got out about bookings on Arvia and to some extent Iona.

• Like 1