Classical Music Currently

foodsvcmgr

33 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

With all the confusion about dropping or modifying Lincoln Center performances, what’s the classical music situation currently aboard the various ships?

Thanks for any updates.

On our April Volendam cruise, a piano and cello due played several times daily.

• Like 3

On the Westerdam, the excellent Lincoln Center group (who played to mostly full rooms) left the ship on April 8 (the end of their contract).  From that moment, until we left the ship in early May, the Lincoln Center Stage remained completely dark.  There was no indication (onboard) if and when there would ever be some kind of replacement.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Eurodam May 20th had no classical music. There was a wonderful jazz trio that played in Ocean Bar, loved them and probably sat through 7 sets over the week. Dance floor was used by couples, several for ballroom dancing. Music ranged from standards to Stevie Wonder, etc. really good play list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2023 at 2:38 PM, decrepit old man said:

Have not noticed any classical music on the Koningsdam 

We also did not find any classical music on the Koningsdam in April, but there was a good amount of high quality live jazz music that we found quite enjoyable. There was some solo jazz piano, focused on older pieces too.

No Classical Music on the Rotterdam for our May 20 cruise.     I complained and they basically told me to piss off.    

Then I asked them,   don't you think it's odd to name your decks after classical music composers when there's no classical music onboard?       

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, dalesyang said:

No Classical Music on the Rotterdam for our May 20 cruise.     I complained and they basically told me to piss off.    

Then I asked them,   don't you think it's odd to name your decks after classical music composers when there's no classical music onboard?       

Now that is ironic, isn't it??? If you haven't done your post-cruise survey yet, you have to include this comment!

I'm glad to hear jazz is coming back--I always loved the combo in Ocean Bar. But that doesn't replace classical; it's another option. 

• Like 1

This unique table near the computers on the Zaandam had one of the only classical instruments I saw(none were heard)during two recent weeks onboard. Ironically seeing again on this cruise Sydney, Nova Scotia's most iconic symbol was just another reminder. 

20230516_065733.thumb.jpg.cee7d2be6202318518cc70818b9cee2e.jpg20230516_065708.thumb.jpg.065fa9faac2437482bfeaffe5f9f7aa6.jpg20230425_164710.thumb.jpg.7c169fa8bfb28b0e815bea7ec451a6df.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

No classical music aboard Koningdam May 6-13. I never saw any jazz musicians anywhere. 

This is super-disappointing since listening to the classical trio after dinner was one of the highlights of my last HAL cruise, though some decent live jazz could've almost made up the difference. I'll also miss the YumYum man. These were two unique attributes that set HAL apart from other lines for me, and they're one of the reasons I chose HAL for my SO's  introduction to cruising. I'm nervous now, and hoping I haven't over-sold the experience to him. 

I'm sure we'll have a great trip, but I really sold it as "a step back to a more elegant time."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

No classical music aboard Koningdam May 6-13. I never saw any jazz musicians anywhere. 

So the only music options were the three on Music Walk? 

What was in the main showroom?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

26 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

So the only music options were the three on Music Walk? 

What was in the main showroom?

The World Stage had two different shows by the Step One Dance Company. Those were outstanding!

There were also at least two shows listed only as "Four Vocalists" on the schedule for World Stage, but I didn't catch those. 

The three Music Walk venues had three shows each on most days. 

A standup comedian also did one show at the BB King Blues Club and another at the World Stage. 

I never saw any live music anywhere during the day. 

Edited by Colorado Klutch

1 minute ago, Colorado Klutch said:

The World Stage had two different shows by the Step One Dance Company. Those were outstanding!

There were also at least two shows listed only as "Four Vocalists" on the schedule for World Stage, but I didn't catch those. 

The three Music Walk venues had three shows each on most days. 

Thanks. That's pretty thin for someone who doesn't like the loud offerings on Music Walk. Step One are good, but I've seen their shows more than once. "Four Vocalists" makes me wonder if HAL dropped Cantare and hired a generic group instead. 

4 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Thanks. That's pretty thin for someone who doesn't like the loud offerings on Music Walk. Step One are good, but I've seen their shows more than once. "Four Vocalists" makes me wonder if HAL dropped Cantare and hired a generic group instead. 

One of the Step One Shows was "Humanity" which is brand new. The other was "Move" which I think is also pretty new. 

Yeah, if the Music Walk venues are too loud for you, there's not much for entertainment. 

I saw a brief video clip of the Four Vocalists show and it appeared to be just four people on stage singing Karaoke style. I don't think I missed much. 

Edited by Colorado Klutch

17 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

One of the Step One Shows was "Humanity" which is brand new. The other was "Move" which I think is also pretty new. 

Yeah, if the Music Walk venues are too loud for you, there's not much for entertainment. 

I saw a brief video clip of the Four Vocalists show and it appeared to be just four people on stage singing Karaoke style. I don't think I missed much. 

I think I've seen "Humanity." "Move" doesn't sound familiar. There's one where they dance to various musical instruments that's quite clever, except for the mistake with Rhapsody in Blue. I forget what instrument they were highlighting as they music played the iconic glissando beginning, but it wasn't a clarinet. Tsk. 

Karaoke style? Words fail me. 

One Step’s Humanity has been around for years. It still good but it’s not new. 

We were told that the contract HAL had with Lincoln Center was expensive.  LC arranged, advertised and auditioned. The positions were in demand. The musicians were quite good!  They’ll be missed!  

• Like 5

Very sad, and one of the things we really enjoyed about HAL was their live classical music.  Here is what HAL said about this back in January 2023:

Holland America Line is elevating its partnership with Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts and taking those shows to the main stage. The program will evolve from a quartet on several ships to a traveling ensemble that will perform on a rotating basis in World Stages on all ships. World Stage is Holland America Line’s main theater; on Pinnacle Class ships the venue seats more than 700 guests and features a two-story, panoramic LED screen.

Holland America Line is excited to be working with Shanta Thake, Lincoln Center’s chief artistic officer, on the new vision for this program, which is still under development and will roll out this summer. The musicians who will be a part of this new program remain the highest caliber of talent and will be exhilarating to watch in the larger venue.

The full article is here:  https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/recent-articles/whats-new/holland-america-line-strengthens-commitment-to-the-best-live-music-at-sea/

I don't know if this will happen or not, but if it does, it sounds like it will only be on one ship at a time, like Cantare.

19 minutes ago, Torquer said:

I don't know if this will happen or not, but if it does, it sounds like it will only be on one ship at a time, like Cantare.

How many years ago was Cantare announced? I have yet to be on a cruise where they performed. I fear that will be my luck with Lincoln Center, too. 

• Like 1

Cantaré is still on the ships (i think the poster above just couldn't remember their name). We were fortunate enough to see them on the Panama Cruise repositioning cruise on the Volendam. They did three different shows and a meet and greet talk. Loved their personalities! They talked about the hiring, practice, and contract processes.
We also had the classical duet who performed most days a few sets in the Explorations Lounge. The performances were attended well, for the most part. One in particular was a very full house. I am so sad to hear that they have been replaced by jazz. Not my cup of tea, to be sure.

On the Zuiderdam now and were told HAL is revamping the Lincoln Center group, going to the World Stage and increasing the players  to 5. When....not known yet.

Cantrell was also on board for 3-4 shows and is headed to the Osterdam.  Will be back on the Zuiderdam on 6-12-23.  We enjoyed  them, good singers. 

On 6/1/2023 at 10:19 AM, Destiny0315 said:

This unique table near the computers on the Zaandam had one of the only classical instruments I saw(none were heard)during two recent weeks onboard. Ironically seeing again on this cruise Sydney, Nova Scotia's most iconic symbol was just another reminder. 

20230516_065733.thumb.jpg.cee7d2be6202318518cc70818b9cee2e.jpg20230516_065708.thumb.jpg.065fa9faac2437482bfeaffe5f9f7aa6.jpg20230425_164710.thumb.jpg.7c169fa8bfb28b0e815bea7ec451a6df.jpg

Perhaps a bit of a stretch here. The large instrument in Sydney is a "Fiddle" as in down home music. Think Natalie McMaster and Leahy. Funny how a violin can be different things to different people.

Chamber music is intended to be played in an intimate chamber setting. Please dear God, do not mike these few players on the Main Stage, like you do for the BBC productions when at least they are supposed to serve only as background music while snakes are devouring baby chicks.

File this classical chamber music change of venue under ..What Were They Thinking???" (Again). Appreciate their attempts to be responsive; but being tone-deaf at the same time makes this a net wash.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Perhaps a bit of a stretch here. The large instrument in Sydney is a "Fiddle" as in down home music. Think Natalie McMaster and Leahy. Funny how a violin can be different things to different people.

No stretch at all. The instruments are one in the same and only the setting in which they are used changes the name. In fact I use neither term in my description of the instruments.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/fiddle-vs-violin/

• Like 1