Norway port closures?

My family was planning to do a norway/fjord cruise sometime after 2026, but just recently realized there are regulations set to take effect in 2026 that will keep "non-electric" cruise ships from the UNESCO areas. I think that means the port of Geiranger, and I'm not 100% sure what other ports it might impact, but my question is - to those of you who've been, how crucial / unique are those areas? Do we need to rearrange plans in the coming years to try and cruise there before 2026? Thanks! 🙂 

Correct - zero emission zones are being introduced in the World Heritage fjord in Norway from 2026. In the context of a cruise, it concerns Geiranger and Flåm. Already today many cruise itineraries doesn’t include Geiranger and Flåm.
An amendment is being considered that will allow ships that sail on Bio-LNG until 2030. But this will reduce the available cruises to those destinations drastically.
No doubt that sailing through the deep heritage fjords is iconic, as well as Geiranger with the viewpoints and the railway in Flåm are good destinations, but Skjolden and Olden will be good alternatives and I suspect that there will be the possibility of an excursion to Geiranger from Hellesylt.
The Norwegian shipping companies Havila and Hurtigruten have hybrid ships that can sail with electric propulsion - I would suspect that Hurtigruten will offer cruises to Flåm and Geiranger, but they are smaller and more expedition ships.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 3 months later...

Yes, I booked on Royal’s Anthem cruise from Southampton to Norway’s Fjords for next May, 2024.  A dear friend has already booked a balcony cabin as she doesn’t want to miss the chance to cruise into Geiranger.  2024 will be Anthem’s last season to Norway.  If you can, please don’t wait for 2025, as the cruises will be more crowded and expensive.  The expedition cruises are great but way to pricey for most families.  Good Luck!  

• Like 1