Virgin Gorda from Tortola no excursion

sds

Hello All,

Wondering who has done this without the ship excursion (since mine is sold out ). Any insight into how I would go about doing this on my own or any tips 

from others that have done it. I have checked trip advisor but prices seem very expensive for my party of five. Thanks in a advance.

Just hop the first ferry to VG. The ferry terminal is a short walk from the cruise dock. Your time in port can make a huge difference in your experience, especially at the Baths.

When you arrive on VG you can just hop a shared safari taxi to the Top of the Baths if your time is limited.

Or if you have time and want to avoid the crowd at the Baths, you can work with a driver to drop you at Savannah Bay first, then hit the Baths after the biggest crowd has cleared out. The drivers know how to help you, and the fares around the Valley are inexpensive ($3 - $4/person per ride for your party of 5). Or you can rent a car from Mahogany if you want to also tour the North Sound…

Your time in port makes a difference…

There may also be independent outfits like Aristocat, Kuralu, and Patouche offering cat sails to the Baths where you swim in from the boat if that interests you…

Edited by blue_water

Thank you for your response. I am looking at some ferry options I am there 7 to 3 speedy smmes to be the best option at this point awaiting email response i will look into the others you have suggested

Ok, yes you are there only 8 hours so your options for the Baths are limited, unfortunately. The best you can probably do is the 7:45/11:30 ferry. The Baths will be busy, and I would suggest just enjoying Brewers Bay on Tortola and experiencing the Baths at another time, either on a longer port stop or a land vacation. Tortola and the BVI are a wonderful place to spend more time.

But you can spend ~2.5 hours on VG and experience the Baths if you really want that…Just get in line for the return ferry a little early…

Hey blue water

Yeah I didn't realize it was going to be so short because of the ferry service I was able to find another ferry that leaves 145 so that is an option it is cutting it close with a return by 215 but it remains an option

I would be ok with the 1:45 return as the ferries are quite reliable. I would just be in line at 1:15 to be safe. But that still gives you another ~2+ hours! And a chance to go to the Baths after the biggest crowd has already left…

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...

I think Smith’s and Native Son now offer only the STT/BVI ferry routes…I’m only aware of 2 outfits r operating in the BVI, Speedy’s and Sensations. Sensations doesn’t work for you, but Speedy’s has a 1:30 Road Town departure and I would contact them to see if they currently offer a later return that the 3:30 option listed on their site.

https://www.bviferries.com/speedys-bvi-ferry-schedule

https://www.sensationferries.com/ferry-schedules.php

On 6/13/2023 at 10:10 AM, blue_water said:

I think Smith’s and Native Son now offer only the STT/BVI ferry routes…I’m only aware of 2 outfits r operating in the BVI, Speedy’s and Sensations. Sensations doesn’t work for you, but Speedy’s has a 1:30 Road Town departure and I would contact them to see if they currently offer a later return that the 3:30 option listed on their site.

https://www.bviferries.com/speedys-bvi-ferry-schedule

https://www.sensationferries.com/ferry-schedules.php

Thank you.  Speedy's going there at 1:30pm and Sensations last return at 4:45pm.  How much is the taxi from the ferry terminal to the Baths?  Is it usually the size of a standard car or an open safari type vehicle?

2 hours ago, kj_connections said:

Thank you.  Speedy's going there at 1:30pm and Sensations last return at 4:45pm.  How much is the taxi from the ferry terminal to the Baths?  Is it usually the size of a standard car or an open safari type vehicle?

When we were there it was the open-sided safari taxis, but smaller sizes as well.

Taxi fares are cheap in the Valley area (ferry to Baths), $4 - $6/pp (for 3 or 1 person).

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2023 at 2:13 PM, ASBJumper said:

Can i ask how long it takes by taxi to get to the Baths, once you get off the ferry..?

If time allows, you can hook up with a driver and ask him/her to drop you at a few different spots like Savannah Bay or a lunch spot and return to drop you at the Top of the Baths after the main crowd has left. That’s an option for folks who have a nice long day in port. For < 8 hours it is hard to avoid fellow passengers of course…

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from tortola I was able to book with sensations ferry for 40 bucks round trip including the ride to and from baths. The ferry was very clean workers were nice  they gave free waters and ferry had wifi Virgin Gorda was absolutely beautiful and should not be missed highlight of my trip devils Bay and baths are stunning the hike wasn't horrible it was 3 bucks to get into baths they had plenty of bathrooms foot washers and bar restaurant on the top. Don't pay what the cruise ship wants for my trip it was 119 per person lol I had 5 people all in for 200 flat rather than 600 for the cruise excursion. Pro tip lol go through the booking process online don't look at daily times they setup excursions outside of those time for us cruisers it was 830 am to 130 pm more than enough time if you looked online at the dailys nothing showed those times. Hope this helps as these forums have died down alot not much current info on them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2023 at 3:31 PM, blue_water said:

Less than 10 minutes to the Top of the Baths or to Spring Bay…

Hi blue_water,

Are taxis readily available at Virgin Gorda and The Baths to take cruisers to/from the Baths?  The ferry company wants to charge $20pp roundtrip for the taxi to/from the Baths so I was hoping to take a local taxi because I have 8 people in my group.

8 minutes ago, kj_connections said:

Hi blue_water,

Are taxis readily available at Virgin Gorda and The Baths to take cruisers to/from the Baths?  The ferry company wants to charge $20pp roundtrip for the taxi to/from the Baths so I was hoping to take a local taxi because I have 8 people in my group.

Yes, you will see various safari taxis lined-up at the Spanishtown marina. Is that $20/pp? If so that is crazy…

The taxi fare to the Top of the Baths and other points in the Valley area has been $5/pp each way. The older rates state $3/pp for a group of 3 or more, but I would expect the $5/pp rate, or $40 for the group …

I know that taxi fares have increased on Tortola for cruisers only, and that may be the case for VG as well. So hopefully someone who has very recently taxied on their own can share the current pp cost…

Just now, blue_water said:

Yes, you will see various safari taxis lined-up at the Spanishtown marina. Is that $20/pp? If so that is crazy…

The taxi fare to the Top of the Baths and other points in the Valley area has been $5/pp each way. The older rates state $3/pp for a group of 3 or more, but I would expect the $5/pp rate, or $40 for the group …

I know that taxi fares have increased on Tortola for cruisers only, and that may be the case for VG as well. So hopefully someone who has very recently taxied on their own can share the current pp cost…

Yes $20pp roundtrip!! 

• 5 weeks later...

All of this information is very helpful, thank you!

It looks like neither Speedy's nor Sensation runs on Sundays from Road Town, which is when our ship is in port (Virgin will be there Sundays for the winter season). Does anyone know of any alternative ways to get there that would run on a Sunday?