5190 or 4180 for 22 day SA and Antarctica cruise

cccole

I have read the thread dated May 28, 2010 with the same question, but it was closed long ago.  This thread was for an Alaskan cruise.  We are on a 22 day January, 2024 Oosterdam cruise.  We currently have 5190 that has a covered balcony which is not a plus for me because I like the night sky and sunshine.  But 4180 seems to have some of the ships equipment blocking the view from the side balcony.  I think I read that there is about 2-3 feet aft on the 5190 balcony where you can get direct sun and view the night sky.  Any comments?  Thank you,  Cherie   

A corner aft for SA & Antartica, how wonderful.  We wanted an aft verandah for our trip but had to settle for a starboard verandah for our cruise from BA to Santiago.

Pictures of 4180 & 5190. halfacts says 4180 is slightly obstructed by window washing equipment.

Video 5190 on cruisedeckplans

Do you care about proximity to the Neptune lounge on deck 7?

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the responses.  Good info on both rooms.  We are not concerned about being close to the Neptune Lounge.  I am especially happy to hear that the equipment on 4180 side balcony is not a problem.  I was surprised to see it in the photos.  The photos of 5190 are much nicer and show nicer outdoor furniture but I'm sure the furnishings would be the same.  I just don't know if I could be in a corner suite with a totally covered balcony for 22 days.  And, we, of course, do not plan to spend all of our time in our room and balcony, but I have read that it is nice to be able to use the ship's public areas and have the convenience of your own balcony.   I'm not sure I would feel comfortable going to the Crows Nest in my p.j.s and slippers with my first cup of coffee in the a.m., it's really not a glamorous sight.   Again, I really thank all of you for the very informative posts.  Cherie

• Like 1

The difference in cabin and balcony furniture is because some of the pictures were taken before the refurbishment.  All cabins will have the newer style of furniture and soft goods.

~Nancy

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cccole said:

Thank you for the responses.  Good info on both rooms.  We are not concerned about being close to the Neptune Lounge.  I am especially happy to hear that the equipment on 4180 side balcony is not a problem.  I was surprised to see it in the photos.  The photos of 5190 are much nicer and show nicer outdoor furniture but I'm sure the furnishings would be the same.  I just don't know if I could be in a corner suite with a totally covered balcony for 22 days.  And, we, of course, do not plan to spend all of our time in our room and balcony, but I have read that it is nice to be able to use the ship's public areas and have the convenience of your own balcony.   I'm not sure I would feel comfortable going to the Crows Nest in my p.j.s and slippers with my first cup of coffee in the a.m., it's really not a glamorous sight.   Again, I really thank all of you for the very informative posts.  Cherie

One thing HAL did that I was impressed with is they added the Espresso Coffee machines in the Neptune  Suites so no worry about going to the Neptune Lounge and or Crow's Nest for Coffee. I bring  my own little Coffee creamers and I am good for the week.

Thank you Oakridger and Laffnvegas,  Nice to know we should have nice veranda furnishings and there will be a coffee machine in the suite.  I will bring a small container for milk to keep in the frig for the coffee.  It will be a wonderful cruise and I appreciate the comments.  Cherie

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

One thing HAL did that I was impressed with is they added the Espresso Coffee machines in the Neptune  Suites so no worry about going to the Neptune Lounge and or Crow's Nest for Coffee. I bring  my own little Coffee creamers and I am good for the week.

Be advised that on two different ships within the past 6 months the coffee machine in the cabin only had Expresso and Decaf pods - no regular ones.  Room stewards told me that they no longer had regular and even the coffee maker instruction card verified this.