Tipping on Celebrity

dazey

I admit that even as many cruises as we have taken i was still a little uncomfortable with extra tipping in Luminae. I asked and confirmed again that they do pool the tips so it was easier for us to give any extra tip to the Maitre’D and allow him to pool. It’s still weird tho seeing many others giving tips to individuals, while we did not. 

Oh well that’s just the nature of American tipping system. 

I will have to say the fun part about tipping is always having $1 and $5 bills and tipping those at the pool, bars, restrooms and food servers up in the cafe. Yes you always get a smile and a thank you. What’s cool about that is, it’s not at all expected and thus the extra smile. 

We were on a B2B last year and sent a shirt to laundry asking if a butter stain could be removed.  Yes it was 😊.  We sent a small tip to the person in Laundry and then wrote a note in comments with his name. He then got pulled up during the last day of cruise for outstanding employees   I doubt the tip was as important as he getting called up by the Captain. So its a lot of things you can do or not the make the difference to crew and us when you see that big smile 😊

Sorry rambling 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most people don’t Grand stand when handing out additional gratuities.  The only time that I notice is when they do.   

I try to do it discretely as possible same  as in a land based restaurant.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jelayne said:

We sometimes forgo the dining rooms on the last night opting for a specialty so we have gotten into the habit of tipping extra as warranted on our last visit to the dining room.

Remember years  ago before the auto gratuities when you were given envelopes?   There were many  that skipped the last night to stiff the staff.     I think that is one of the reasons that they went to auto gratuities 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

3 hours ago, miched said:

I think that is one of the reasons that they went to auto gratuities 

I think the biggest reason was the advent of anytime dining where you had different wait staff each night.

14 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Yes, that is what makes sense to me. Part of the cost of cruising. I don’t give an additional tip to someone for just doing their job. But I will for something special. That something special could just be their attitude. 

I will tip if the service is exceptional.  We are big pool people & I will tip the bar service well at the end of the trip if they are given really good service.  Same with stateroom attendances & servers in the dining room.