Were You Penalized (Had to Pay More Money) when Spouse Could Not Cruise With You At Last Minute?

LewiLewi

I was wondering what would happen if my spouse, who I have already paid cruise fare for, was not able to board with me at the last minute. Because of health conditions, he may not be able to board the ship, but we would not know until the day of boarding or the day before. What has been your experience with this possible problem? Would the cruise line insist that I pay single fare, which is much higher than a fare for two people, or impose a penalty because of this situation.?

Have you ever just shown up at the pier as a single and boarded without an incident?

Guest ldtr

It all depends.

Do either of you or both of you have insurance?  If you do and the cancellation is for a covered reason then their fare would be refunded and the increase in your fare would also be covered.  In that case let the cruise line know and activate the insurance claim.

If neither of you have insurance then it is best for them to just be a no show.  They will get their taxes and fees refunded but not their fare.  Your fare would not change.

We had this happen Feb this year on Nieuw Amsterdam - to avoid penalties and last minute unplanned expenses for the roommate, the person just didn't show up (was a No Show). Guest Servics called to ask if they were coming and when they said no, they removed their name and had us turn in their key, which we had because we'd already gone by the cabin to drop bags.

Because the cruiseline keeps the forfeited payment, they've received their $$ and don't charge the other person anymore. 

It took about a day for us to see the other name drop off, but it did.

FWIW it was a HAL customer service rep that suggested this when we called in to ask about options. First question we were asked was if the person had travel protection. Since they didn't, this was their suggested action. Said if they did cancel, the remaining passenger would be charged single rate which have to immediately be paid (so it was received, of course, before they boarded).

The No Show person did not receive taxes and fees - they got no refund of any kind.

Hope it all works out - wishing him well.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Thanks 2

This has been discussed many times.  Simply search the HAL forum for the word "cancel" and as go back through the posts you will find many discussions.  Here is one of the most extensive recent ones:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2923718-cancel-or-no-show/#comment-65006681

The general consensus seems to be just let your spouse become a no-show after you board the ship.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Torquer said:

...The general consensus seems to be just let your spouse become a no-show after you board the ship.

That's what we did and turned in their key. As mentioned, it took about a day for us to see the name disappear from the TV statement. All worked out fine.

Cruise was Feb 2023.

When DH passed away, I had his name taken off the cruise as I knew I could not bear to see his name over and over on statements, etc and it was the right thing to do.   It ended up costing me more as they cancelled his FCD on the cruise and, I lost all of his OBC.

When my BIL discovered he could not cruise last minute in Barcelona (not serious - for another reason), my sister  was advised NOT to tell HAL at check in he wasn’t coming.  Just to say he would join the ship later.  That way, she kept his OBC (which was significant) to use on the cruise.  It more than compensated for the nominal cost of the port taxes.  It worked out for her.  After all, his cruise was already paid for.

YMMV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Per a previous post, I've sailed when one in our party was a No Show, so I believe I have a good handle on the process. However, if the person who doesn't show up is Passenger #1 and the rate is tied to their Mariner number, does that change anything?

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

If cancelling, is your spouse Guest 1 or Guest 2 on the booking? If Guest 1 cancels, the entire booking is cancelled. HAL told us this for our Sept ‘21 cruise. (Luckily, everyone was able to go.) 

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

If cancelling, is your spouse Guest 1 or Guest 2 on the booking? If Guest 1 cancels, the entire booking is cancelled. HAL told us this for our Sept ‘21 cruise. (Luckily, everyone was able to go.) 

Right, so NOT canceling, if Guest 1 No Shows and the others have already boarded, what happens?

3 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Right, so NOT canceling, if Guest 1 No Shows and the others have already boarded, what happens?

As a solo, this happened to me in 2021.  Guest 2 could not sail. I cancelled Guest 2, lost deposit, lost OBC earned, and I was rebooked at the current solo rate. 

A week later, I learned that Guest 2 could not join me for the second leg of B2B.  I did not cancel but only notified Front Desk when I boarded that Guest 2 missed a flight and might join the cruise later.  All of the earned OBC for both of us was retained, port charges were not returned, and Crew Appreciation was charged only for me. 

Lesson learned: "no show" is a much better option than canceling. YMMV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Does anyone know how it works in reverse?  Suppose a solo booked a cabin, paid the single supplement, and then had someone decide to go along with them on the cruise.  Is the single supplement refunded and a second fare charged, or would the additional name just be added and call it square?  This would be in the post full payment period prior to departure.

14 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Does anyone know how it works in reverse?  Suppose a solo booked a cabin, paid the single supplement, and then had someone decide to go along with them on the cruise.  Is the single supplement refunded and a second fare charged, or would the additional name just be added and call it square?  This would be in the post full payment period prior to departure.

Have no personal experience doing that. If they'll do, it would likely depend on the fare type you booked (non-refundable, Advantage...) as they would probably re-fare it. 

They're definitely receptive to making money so they would likely be inclined to accommodate you for the potential revenue increase of incremental spending by Guest #2.

Please keep us updated on the outcome and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Have no personal experience doing that. If they'll do, it would likely depend on the fare type you booked (non-refundable, Advantage...) as they would probably re-fare it. 

They're definitely receptive to making money so they would likely be inclined to accommodate you for the potential revenue increase of incremental spending by Guest #2.

Please keep us updated on the outcome and enjoy your cruise!

I am not planning on doing this, but as I'm normally a solo traveler, I was thinking if this were possible in case I ever needed to try to do it.  Were it ever to come up, it's obviously something to discuss with my TA or HAL.

2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

I am not planning on doing this, but as I'm normally a solo traveler, I was thinking if this were possible in case I ever needed to try to do it.  Were it ever to come up, it's obviously something to discuss with my TA or HAL.

For some reason I want to say this has been discussed and it would be a cancel and rebook incurring penalties.  That said , it might have been on another cruise line or may not have happened at all and I’m thinking of something else.  Best is to contact hal if that situation ever comes up.

5 hours ago, DCThunder said:

It depends on how soon to the sailing date after final payment, but in most cases the extra paid for the single supplement can be use toward the price for the second passengers and often the 2nd person only needs to pay port taxes. Then the first person just need to get reimbursed (if they want) from the new person being added.