Table for 2 at Gunbae?

NicolaQuinnTF

My partner and I are travelling on the Valiant Lady in October later this year. 

Is there any chance of being able to reserve a table for 2 at Gunbae? 

I've got major social anxiety and even the thought of sitting at a group table is enough to start freaking me out.

I get that it won't be the same experience, but I'd still like to try the food. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NicolaQuinnTF said:

Thanks, Jon! I'll give that a go.

I wouldn’t even bother asking if you have a reservation for peak dinner time (between 6-9).  There will likely be a line to check in most of the evening, so they’re not going to hold a 6-top for just 2 people.  If you get there and your table sucks, you can excuse yourselves and grab something in the galley or room service or try to get into another restaurant.

• Like 1

i am exactly the same, the anxiety is so bad that i wear noise cancelling in ear pieces and i had pretty much wrote this restaurant off but after this post i might do the same and come back much later in the evening 

i don't want to play games i would just like to experience the drink/ food, i will toddle along at half 9 and see how the land lies 

• Like 3

On 6/1/2023 at 10:32 AM, NicolaQuinnTF said:

My partner and I are travelling on the Valiant Lady in October later this year. 

Is there any chance of being able to reserve a table for 2 at Gunbae? 

I've got major social anxiety and even the thought of sitting at a group table is enough to start freaking me out.

I get that it won't be the same experience, but I'd still like to try the food. 

we are on the 8th October sailing how about yourself ? 

On 6/2/2023 at 2:36 PM, mazz1 said:

i don't want to play games i would just like to experience the drink/ food, i will toddle along at half 9 and see how the land lies 

It's one drinking game at the beginning of the meal. If you don't want to drink the soju, ask for a 'shot' of water. That's what my wife does. After that game is over, the rest of the meal is pretty straightforward. 

• Like 2

You might also try to speak to a manager during the time when they are closed and level with them about your desire to experience the restaurant, but have anxiety issues. Everybodys different, but you may just find someone that will bend over backwards to accommodate you. With rare exceptions, most staff I've met on my 2 Scarlet Lady cruises have been very concerned that I have a good time. FWIW, I have avoided Gunbae for some of the same reasons you mention.

41 minutes ago, dazadelaide said:

We also would like to try the food in gunbae but just the thought of yelling gunbae gunbae gunbae during a meal is just too much for me! 

You “yell” Gunbae once- just during the game before dinner, and you can opt out entirely if you want.

• Like 1

As tacocat noted, you yell Gunbae during the game at the beginning before dinner is served.  The staff yells gunbae each time a new group is seated, but I've never had a table that participated to that.  Once the game is over and the food is being served, we engaged in table conversation and eating, not yelling as people entered.

We were able go get a table for 2 because of my seafood allergy.  The restaurant itself was very loud. We had tables on both sides of us and across from us yelling Gumbae really loud. The atmosphere was not enjoyable even though we were at a table for two. I think they should stop the game and do something without all the yelling because the food is delicious and the atmosphere spoils your dinner.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 4:06 AM, curlstravel said:

We were able go get a table for 2 because of my seafood allergy.  The restaurant itself was very loud. We had tables on both sides of us and across from us yelling Gumbae really loud. The atmosphere was not enjoyable even though we were at a table for two. I think they should stop the game and do something without all the yelling because the food is delicious and the atmosphere spoils your dinner.

To each their own. 

The loud joyous welcome is pretty traditional in Koren restaurants, so I think it would be rude to westenise the experience. 

• Like 4