My Time Dining (MTD)

15 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

But their issue is that they can't book MTD.

If specialty dining options are now showing, but MTD is not, then they may not actually be confirmed for MTD.

That's weird. Their confirmation is the same as ours, and we have ours booked 6:45 each night. I do recall finding the MTD booking spot not where I expected it.  I'll go back and see what I can find.

13 minutes ago, RoundGuy2771 said:

That's weird. Their confirmation is the same as ours, and we have ours booked 6:45 each night. I do recall finding the MTD booking spot not where I expected it.  I'll go back and see what I can find.

MTD is at the bottom of the Dining list in Cruise Planner.

Under Dining in the App "Person" icon tab.

Edited by Another_Critic

On 6/8/2023 at 6:35 AM, smokey01 said:

I just saw this in a review of Anthem from a year ago

We were on 'My Time' dining which didn't really work via the app, but we just stood in line at the MDR reception area and were seated pretty quickly every evening.”

has anyone else had problems with booking a time slot?

I just finished booking 6:45pm reservations in our cruise planner for every evening of our 9-day sailing next April. No problem at all..

49 minutes ago, RoundGuy2771 said:

I have the exact same scenario as @RoundGuy2771. We have confirmed MTD reservations for 6:45pm each evening of our Apr '24 sailing. Our booking invoice shows:

Dining (Waitlist):                MY TIME()                        MY TIME()

• 3 weeks later...

i never have done fixed dining but finding that 730  MTD and later is only on my october liberty cruise. i wrote to my TA to ask him to change it to earlier fixed dining. But wondering how does it work with the tables? we only want to eat at a 2 top. just show up first day and we get to pick a table thats free or is it too late to decide that now? 

hoping also that being in a top suite may help if need be. 1st time on a non CK ship, was used to oasis and CK 🙂

16 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i never have done fixed dining but finding that 730  MTD and later is only on my october liberty cruise. i wrote to my TA to ask him to change it to earlier fixed dining. But wondering how does it work with the tables? we only want to eat at a 2 top. just show up first day and we get to pick a table thats free or is it too late to decide that now? 

hoping also that being in a top suite may help if need be. 1st time on a non CK ship, was used to oasis and CK 🙂

Your table will be pre assigned, table number and dining room will be on your seapass card at checkin.  The Suite Concierge will be able to help you out, being in a top Suite you should be contacted a few weeks before sailing.

30 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Your table will be pre assigned, table number and dining room will be on your seapass card at checkin.  The Suite Concierge will be able to help you out, being in a top Suite you should be contacted a few weeks before sailing.

great to know. TA got it changed and we got confirms all other reservations were cancelled.  will go do the MDR upon embarkation and hopefully get an 'out of the way' table. on oasis we lucked on time into one next to a pillar with literally no one next to us. very 'private' 🙂

I am confused by these posts. This fall will be my first cruise on RCL since before covid but I have been  on CCL 8 times since then. I choose my time dining always so I can eat whenever I feel like it. So why would you need to book in advance? How do I know what time I will feel like eating three months from now? On CCL I just use the app that day to request a table and most times get notified my table is ready in less than 10 minutes How is mtd different on Royal?

3 minutes ago, xyzcruiser said:

I am confused by these posts. This fall will be my first cruise on RCL since before covid but I have been  on CCL 8 times since then. I choose my time dining always so I can eat whenever I feel like it. So why would you need to book in advance? How do I know what time I will feel like eating three months from now? On CCL I just use the app that day to request a table and most times get notified my table is ready in less than 10 minutes How is mtd different on Royal?

If you selected MTD when you booked the cruise but didn’t select a time, then you would go to the “no reservations” line at the MTD entrance and wait to be seated. Usually a 10-20 minute wait depending on what time you arrive.

Edited by orville99

2 hours ago, xyzcruiser said:

How is mtd different on Royal?

You get to hang out in a sometimes long line - reserving via the app only gets you a usually late time but no table and no notification. 

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

reserving via the app only gets you a usually late time but no table and no notification. 

Can you please elaborate on this a bit more (for a Royal newbie), I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. We currently have 6:45pm reservations for each evening of our upcoming EOS sailing in April.

54 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Can you please elaborate on this a bit more (for a Royal newbie), I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. We currently have 6:45pm reservations for each evening of our upcoming EOS sailing in April.

MTD starts at 6:45. You go to the reservation line and hopefully there are tables ready to go. First seating early traditional has to finish and have tables cleared for MTD to start. There are three levels to the main dining room on Explorer, two levels are for early and late traditional, one level is early traditional and when those diners are finished that dining rooms becomes MTD. They have been slowly moving one dining room for early traditional to a 5:15 seating, hoping to get tables cleared and MTD started completely at 6:45. We personally have had no experience with MTD, it is always late traditional and a large shared table for us, hopefully along the balcony railing. We enjoy a slow 90 minute dinner, and when early traditional has guests doing the same it clogs up the works. MTD has become a joke on most ships, unless you show up after 8pm when there is no crowd or line. 

• Thanks 1

so I  usually only go to the mdr about 3 times during the cruise. I usually eat  at one of the specialty restaurants 3-4 times and there is at least one day I have a late lunch because of a full port day so I just grab something small at the buffet whenever I get a little hungry. So should I be making mtd reservations in advance and then just cancelling on the nights I go elsewhere? That seems like it would make things more difficult for the staff. It sounds like mtd on Royal is nothing like it is on CCL or NCL.now. I have done mtd on RCL before covid and don't remember having any problems and I didn't make any advanced reservations. After reading this thread, I am very uncertain what to do for my upcoming cruise.

8 hours ago, KroozNut said:

We currently have 6:45pm reservations for each evening of our upcoming EOS sailing in April.

You are lucky. If you had waited till on board to reserve via the app, you would have likely gotten something much later. Unlike that poster who mentioned Carnival, the RCI app has no notification for when a table is ready nor a certain table. All that is decided by the host at the MDR entrance while you wait in line - a sometimes long line. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You are lucky. If you had waited till on board to reserve via the app, you would have likely gotten something much later. 

You know what they say, right? "The early bird gets the worm" 😉

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, xyzcruiser said:

so I  usually only go to the mdr about 3 times during the cruise. I usually eat  at one of the specialty restaurants 3-4 times and there is at least one day I have a late lunch because of a full port day so I just grab something small at the buffet whenever I get a little hungry. So should I be making mtd reservations in advance and then just cancelling on the nights I go elsewhere? That seems like it would make things more difficult for the staff. It sounds like mtd on Royal is nothing like it is on CCL or NCL.now. I have done mtd on RCL before covid and don't remember having any problems and I didn't make any advanced reservations. After reading this thread, I am very uncertain what to do for my upcoming cruise.

In your case I would not make any reservations. There is a line for non reservations at the entrance.  Going any time after 8pm there would be no line at all.